Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151445 - 06/13/11 03:34 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Jimshaw]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Jim Shaw
I don't see how you can gow for several days in mountains where weather is changeable and can be wet and get all your stuff and food into less than 5,000 cubic inches. I couldn't

I'm just learning that.

I bought that Peak 1 pack at least 12 years ago and I didn't really think I'd be backpacking in cold weather here. Silly me, it was the warm weather I'd never be backpacking in here. I learned that pretty fast, but I've been slow to learn the art of backpacking in cold weather. All my previous experience was warm weather by comparison. I've switched to lighter, warmer clothes, like fleece and down, and that is exactly why I need more room.

But I also would like more comfort with as little added weight as possible. That's a tough trade off. Some of those internal frame packs do look comfy, but they're all over 5lbs. I don't know, maybe that's not that bad, but it sounds bad frown

"You want to go where?"

#151457 - 06/13/11 06:11 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: billstephenson]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I suppose those of us who use spreadsheets to keep track of gear and make our lists for each trip could include a volume column to go with the weight column. Now that I think of it, should make choosing the right pack for the trip easier.

#151559 - 06/16/11 12:28 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Jimshaw]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I'm really trying to lighten up. I'm just having problems with how to do so (comfort zone) - I figured I could shed 2 pounds with a new pack and that was easy... Ha! I didn't buy the Flash - it just didn't fit right. The only bag they had at REI that did fit was the Deuter ACT lite 60+10. Doesn't save me weight.

I didn't buy a pack.

I'm hoping to learn some lightening up tips from WD... =)

#151633 - 06/18/11 03:14 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: lv2fsh]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Best bet is to try on with load - my wife loves her gregory jade- but it fits her well. so a lot will depend on you, and weight ratings are suggestive, but not 100% accurate - I carry more comfortably in a granite gear virga than it is "rated" for, but I also pack it in a way that helps do that, and it still seems comfortable for me.

I know people with the flash, golite, granite gear, gregory, ula, and six moon designs packs who all love them.

I'm *very* jealous of your zpacks hexamid aquisition wink

Edited by phat (06/18/11 03:15 PM)
Browse my pictures

#151708 - 06/20/11 05:14 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: phat]
Heather-ak Offline

I haven't bought the zpacks hexamid - it is on my equipment lotto list. Trying to talk the pay the bills guy (husband) into it.

#151725 - 06/21/11 12:44 AM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
I haven't bought the zpacks hexamid - it is on my equipment lotto list. Trying to talk the pay the bills guy (husband) into it.

Your husband pays the bills? Geez.. I'm a liberated man.. bills and taxes are what the money fairy deals with (I'm married to an accountant - which means that anything of this sort I attempt I will do "wrong" so therefore it's better to just play dumb)

She does complain about the gear and gun closets though.

Browse my pictures

#151763 - 06/21/11 08:09 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Since I'm an accountant, I'm the CFO of our house. However, I always remember that Karol is the CEO. Which means that, in order to get a two-to-one vote in favor of new gear, I sometimes have to double as the household CWO (Chief Whining Officer.)

#151769 - 06/21/11 09:12 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Well don't despair - you'll eventually find a lighter pack that works.

Looking at my little standard gear list in my .signature, I notice I've got right aroun 3 kilos of stuff (or 3.6 kilos of stuff if I have my bear spray and PLB) with me that does *NOT* include my big three - if you take out your big three how are you doing in that respect compared to the likes of me?

note that breaks down to:

2 kilos of clothing
1/2 kilo of kitchen kit (including ursak - i'd be heavier on this in the sierras because I'd be packing a canister)
1/2 kilo of "ditty bag" (everything else including first aid)
300 grams of plb
300 grams of bear spray

If you're getting down close to that, well, I'd say you're doing pretty good - then it's just a matter of when you can afford a lighter big three that feels and fits good.

Edited by phat (06/21/11 09:15 PM)
Browse my pictures

#151855 - 06/24/11 04:12 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: phat]
shotokun16 Offline

Loc: California
Kelty Coyote 4750 (80 ltrs)

Just a noob response, however, Kelty has a lifetime warranty on all backpacks.

Life time Warranty: "...for the lifetime of the product, against defects in materials or workmanship...Kelty warranty does not cover defects attributable to or resulting from normal wear and tear i.e. exhausted zippers), natural hazard damage (i.e. weather and animals, UV), abuse or alteration. (KELTY.com)

#151863 - 06/24/11 07:08 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: shotokun16]
Heather-ak Offline

Dude, it weighs 5 lb 9 oz - a pound more than what I have now =)

I'm thinking about ordering and trying the GoLite Quest Pack - just trying to figure out if I want the woman's version or the regular one.

#185300 - 05/23/14 10:28 AM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Heather-ak]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have used a Golite Quest for six years as my "hauler". It weighs 48 oz, will handle up to 45 pounds adequately, rides comfortably and, at least the men's pack I have, will take a BV-500 horizontally on the bottom. I considered one of the Osprey "trampoline" packs but could never figure out how to fit a bear can inside with the rest of my gear due to the curve of the bag. Of course, fit and comfort are the important factor as I am sure you know. I don't think REI carries Golite so you might want to look at one on a trial basis. I think the Quest is great but it may not fit you; worth a look though.

I also have one of the early Jam2 (2008) packs. It is great for light packing but won't handle much over 25 pounds with any comfort. But, I can get a BV-500 horizontally into the bottom of this pack too though it's a tighter fit.

#185307 - 05/23/14 12:16 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Pika]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Pika, I also own a GoLite Quest and use it for large loads. I'm pretty sure it has been redesigned since you and I bought ours and, of course, it became heavier in the process. Also, if the original poster of three years ago hasn't already made up their mind what to buy I would be very surprised! grin

#185308 - 05/23/14 12:43 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: aimless]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
This post is 3 years old. Heather, what pack did you buy and how has it worked out? I use the women's GoLite Quest. It is comfortable to 30 pounds, OK to 35 and a pain at 40. It is now worn out so I am looking for another pack too. I feel that the support back-board has broken down - it is not as comfortable as it used to be (maybe I am just getting older!). I do not think they make the Quest anymore, or maybe just call it something else.

#185311 - 05/23/14 01:13 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: wandering_daisy]
Heather-ak Offline

I ended up with an Osprey Aether, not sure off hand how many liters. It is heavier than the other models I was looking at, but I could try it on and get it fitted locally. The other models that I could try on locally that were lighter just didn't fit right. And to be honest I'm a bit of a feature hound - I love that I can hook my poles up out of the way or just free up my hands.

For overnights I do end up usually using a different pack - which is my Camelback backpack.

#185331 - 05/23/14 09:18 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Heather-ak]
godzilla Offline

Loc: PA, USA
Hi,

I'm currently using a Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude panel loading pack which is 3800 cubic inches. It is comfortable but on my last trip to Grand Canyon, starting with nine liters water, I just did not have enough space and reached the limits of carrying comfortably. I want to get a larger volume pack that can carry a heavier water load when needed, but this forces me into getting a heavier pack like the Gregory Baltoro 75 or Osprey Aether 70 or 85. I tried on both of these models at REI and even though they are quite a bit heavier, they really are comfortable with a good fit. Guess I just hate the idea of a heavier pack when I've lighted my shelter, bag and pad to about 3 pounds. What kind of loads do you carry with your Aether and are you completely satisfied?

Cheers,
Tim

#185407 - 05/27/14 03:27 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: godzilla]
Heather-ak Offline

Looking at my camping spreadsheet my base weight (not including food, water and what I'm wearing) is about 32 lbs.

I love my pack - removing the lid is a pain though, so it isn't nearly as useful as I thought that portion would be. I use the pole holder a lot, though it doesn't have as many attachement points as I would like on the front harness (I carry my GPS and my camera hooked where I can easily get to them.) I believe it has a sleeping bag separator which I never use as well.

Does that help?

#185727 - 06/14/14 09:47 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: Heather-ak]
godzilla Offline

Loc: PA, USA
I ended up getting the Osprey Aether 85 which is quite comfortable with a 35-45 pound load (and possible more) for those times when carrying a larger water load is unavoidable. It is 5 pounds (size L) versus my current pack weighing 3.5 pounds. The external hydration sleeve is nice and I have more space for my bag which at 1 pound 9 ounces is light but bulky since I try not to over compress it, just using the non-compression stuff sack that came with it.

If I were looking for a thru-hiking pack instead of a backpacking pack, something 2 pounds or less would be needed.

Good to hear you are enjoying your Aether as well.

Tim

#185757 - 06/16/14 01:39 PM Re: Buying new pack [Re: godzilla]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Definitely nothing wrong with the Aether (I ended up with an 85 as well) though I was surprised you didn't go for the Ariel which is the ladies version of that same pack? My two camping companions (both ladies) just upgraded from little Deuter 30's to an Aura 50 and an Ariel 65 and love them! So far they haven't managed to get too much trail time but a few 5-7 mile loaded days and they are thrilled. I can't disagree as I love my Aether 85.

Congrats on the new toy! smile

Oh, and Osprey also has that "We don't care what happened, we'll fix it or replace it" guarantee.

Edited by AdventureMyk (06/16/14 01:41 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum