Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185028 - 05/12/14 10:52 AM Holy Condensation
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I did a condensation check on my Tarptent Moment, and good grief it built up moisture in the wet humid night here in Tennessee. In all fairness, I covered all of the vents and had the fly all the way down because I wanted to see how much build up of moisture in this humidity with maximum coverage. When I checked it, the tarp was completely soaked outside and inside, but the bug net remained moisture free and floor wasn't wet on inside. I may have to get used to packing the rainfly separately from the tent body so the rainfly dry out in one of exterior pockets of my packs, or pack a micro fleece towel..

#185029 - 05/12/14 02:01 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: ETSU Pride]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Did you pitch on wet ground or near a water course? I pitched my floorless Squall above a lake outlet a few years ago, maybe 40' above and 100' or more from water, had high condensation on the inside. The high end is all mesh, had the beak pulled back too I believe.
Duane

#185030 - 05/12/14 02:03 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: hikerduane]
ETSU Pride Offline

Ground was wet from the rain, then after I set it up it rain some more.

#185031 - 05/12/14 03:49 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Ventilation is important! Any tent closed up tight will quickly become a sauna! There is rarely, if ever, a need to do that.

I once had a double wall tent (from Sierra Designs) that had to be closed up tight in the merest drizzle. Otherwise the rain came through the outward slanting screen door onto my head. It routinely got so much condensation on the fly that the water dripped through the inner tent, making puddles on the floor and my sleeping bag. Ever since then, I've refused to have a double wall tent--I want my condensation where I can wipe it off!

Vigorously shaking a wet tent before packing it up gets rid of a lot of moisture. (So does a dog's morning tail-wag routine!) The "Handi-Wipe" disposable towels from Clorox (found in supermarkets) are just as absorbent as those microfleece towels, are lighter, dry a lot faster and are cheaper.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/12/14 03:56 PM)

#185033 - 05/12/14 04:23 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

I'm going mountain biking this weekend and will be car camping. I'll sleep with tent vented to the max. smile I was just curious see how much moisture build up like this. My Big Agnes didn't have any vents and it managed moisture well.

#185036 - 05/12/14 06:24 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: ETSU Pride]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The mid-tent hoop design of the Moment tends to cause more condensation than other tent designs. Other brands of tents with the same design also have this problem; it is not specific to Tarptents. Condensation is created by humidity and temperature relative to due point in addition to that contributed by your body. Even in the dry western mountains (Sierra and Wind Rivers) I get excessive condensation about half the nights, even with the door wide open. I wish I had a two-door design so I could get direct cross ventilation. Increasing ventilation helps but does not always cure the condensation.

Saying do not camp on damp grass or ground is really unrealistic - when it rains the grass IS wet and when dew point is reached the grass IS wet! Camping under a canopy of trees helps. Camping on dirt helps. You should be camping 100+ feet from water anyway.

I sympathize - I have use my Moment for about 5 years now and I KNOW where to camp! It is NOT all pilot-error. I choose campsites that will get a good breeze. The condensation is not a real problem (just a perceived problem)as far as "survival" in a storm - it is however a REAL pain when packing up the tent and I constantly bump against the tent when entering and exiting, so my clothes get a bit wet. I hate packing a wet tent. My style of backpacking is early starts - on trail by 7AM, so I seldom get sunshine to dry the tent before I have to pack up. Tarptents are good tents- I just would not ever buy the Moment again. However the Moment does very well in wind and wind eliminates the condensation. And if you camp in an area and the time of year when night temperatures stay above dew point, there is less condensation - then your body is the source, not the atmosphere.

I also take a sponge or cloth to wipe down the tent so at least I am packing a damp tent, not a totally wet tent.

#185039 - 05/12/14 07:00 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I note that the new Moment DW has doors on both sides which presumably should help the ventilation. Of course, it's heavier!

I have found a lot more condensation issues in a tent having lower clearance over my head (source of most of the moisture). That's an issue with most side-opening tents. The low ceiling allows less room for my warm moist exhalations to spread out or (ideally) leave the tent before hitting the cold tent wall and condensing. That's why I like the Tarptent Squall 2 and the Gossamer Gear/Tarptent Squall Classic (latter no longer made, but I am keeping mine!) in which the highest point of the tent is over my head.

Sometimes you're just stuck camping in the open on vegetation, like it or not. In places where the bark beetle has killed off much of the forest, out in the meadow may be the only safe place to camp! As W_D points out, when it has been or is raining, the ground will be wet everywhere.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/12/14 07:02 PM)

#185041 - 05/12/14 07:08 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Those Clip Flashlights were all the rage, back in the day... smile

Believe it or not, the tent that seemed to handle the moisture best for me is the Hubba (or its lighter clone, the Carbon Reflex 1); even in early spring or late fall, with the vestibule closed up, there was very little condensation inside - and neither tent had any venting. I'd often end up with significant moisture on the outside of the fly, but the inside was mostly dry.

I have a theory, soundly based on pure conjecture, that the tent's compact size (some would say claustrophobic) means that your body's heat "pushes" the point where condensation forms outside the inner wall of the tent. Of course, this doesn't explain why the moisture I exhale doesn't condense inside the tent, but I don't intend to let such anomalies affect my results. smile

Edited by Glenn Roberts (05/12/14 07:16 PM)

#185047 - 05/12/14 08:22 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: Glenn Roberts]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Glenn,

"I have a theory, soundly based on pure conjecture, that the tent's compact size (some would say claustrophobic) means that your body's heat "pushes" the point where condensation forms outside the inner wall of the tent"

My experience supports your theory.

#185058 - 05/13/14 10:15 AM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: wandering_daisy]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
The mid-tent hoop design of the Moment tends to cause more condensation than other tent designs. Other brands of tents with the same design also have this problem; it is not specific to Tarptents. Condensation is created by humidity and temperature relative to due point in addition to that contributed by your body. Even in the dry western mountains (Sierra and Wind Rivers) I get excessive condensation about half the nights, even with the door wide open. I wish I had a two-door design so I could get direct cross ventilation. Increasing ventilation helps but does not always cure the condensation.

Saying do not camp on damp grass or ground is really unrealistic - when it rains the grass IS wet and when dew point is reached the grass IS wet! Camping under a canopy of trees helps. Camping on dirt helps. You should be camping 100+ feet from water anyway.

I sympathize - I have use my Moment for about 5 years now and I KNOW where to camp! It is NOT all pilot-error. I choose campsites that will get a good breeze. The condensation is not a real problem (just a perceived problem)as far as "survival" in a storm - it is however a REAL pain when packing up the tent and I constantly bump against the tent when entering and exiting, so my clothes get a bit wet. I hate packing a wet tent. My style of backpacking is early starts - on trail by 7AM, so I seldom get sunshine to dry the tent before I have to pack up. Tarptents are good tents- I just would not ever buy the Moment again. However the Moment does very well in wind and wind eliminates the condensation. And if you camp in an area and the time of year when night temperatures stay above dew point, there is less condensation - then your body is the source, not the atmosphere.

I also take a sponge or cloth to wipe down the tent so at least I am packing a damp tent, not a totally wet tent.

I just want make sure no one knows I'm knocking Tarptent. I just wanted see HOW much condensation can build up in wet humid weather with maximum coverage and very little vent rather than learning it the hard way in the backcountry. I was just curious. I don't know what the 5 years old Tarptent looks like, but the new design has a sizable gap between bug net and the rainfly for air flow, however, it doesn't do any good if you close up every vents on the tent like I did and pitched it on wet grass. grin I guess I was in a mad science experiment mode to see what it would do in less than ideal setup conditions..

Do you know the science behind why hoop designed tent build up condensation more than other designs? Or is it just years of experience?

#185065 - 05/13/14 03:07 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: ETSU Pride]
nate99 Offline

Loc: Denver Colorado
Heres a tip for all of ya it condensation becomes a problem on the trail take a length of twine or soft string and press the twine up against seams in the top of your tent/tarp and tape the ends in place. With luck and gravity the water that condenses up top will get soaked up by the twine and prevent seam damage and annoying dripping. Enjoy!
-Nate

#185195 - 05/20/14 04:48 PM Re: Holy Condensation [Re: ETSU Pride]
ETSU Pride Offline

It rained on and off at Tsali last weekend, temperature dropped into high 30s, I slept next to a creek, and ZERO condensation occurred.. I maxed the vents and pitched tent on the tent pad that was hard packed sand like soil. This was in a front country campground by the way. Conditions and where you pitched can make a major impact in regard to condensations, I learned. cool

Edited by ETSU Pride (05/20/14 04:49 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum