Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192345 - 10/27/15 09:21 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Originally Posted By dylansdad77
Originally Posted By Aragon
An 1877 Colt Single Action Army revolver with a 7.5" barrel loaded with five .45 Long Colt rounds.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid...

At least I didn't have a round under the hammer as I hiked... wink

#192349 - 10/28/15 11:52 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Aragon]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Aragon
Originally Posted By BZH
so you're still carrying around the boat anchor? You just got a lighter weight anchor?

I wouldn't classify my personal protection firearm as a "boat anchor."

How much does it weigh, what do you use it for, and how often do you use it?

#192350 - 10/28/15 03:16 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: BZH]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Well, even if he doesn't ever use it in the sense of drawing it or firing it, he clearly uses it for peace of mind. Some people also carry a St. Christopher medal for a similar purpose. When a 'personal protection firearm' gets used for any other purpose than peace of mind is when I become concerned. eek

#192352 - 10/28/15 04:04 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: aimless]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Originally Posted By aimless
Well, even if he doesn't ever use it in the sense of drawing it or firing it, he clearly uses it for peace of mind. Some people also carry a St. Christopher medal for a similar purpose. When a 'personal protection firearm' gets used for any other purpose than peace of mind is when I become concerned.

My personal protection firearm is not analogous to a St. Christopher medal. I suppose it does provide peace of mind to some degree but its purpose is to help provide a means of personal protection for me and those around me should the circumstances ever dictate.

A far better comparison would be to pepper/bear spray or something along those lines.

#192354 - 10/28/15 05:24 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: aimless]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Well, even if he doesn't ever use it in the sense of drawing it or firing it, he clearly uses it for peace of mind. Some people also carry a St. Christopher medal for a similar purpose. When a 'personal protection firearm' gets used for any other purpose than peace of mind is when I become concerned. eek

I agree. If it wasn't a boat anchor (or religious trinket depending on the weight) I would be more concerned.

#192362 - 10/29/15 03:15 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
so here I am, 18 months wiser, and I still take too much crap with me. I know the trick is to unpack when you return, lay everything out and identify what you didn't use...i am usually so dog-ass tired that i forget. So inevitably, the next time i doom myself to repetition. that being said, I will be posting my gear list in the upcoming weeks and asking (begging) for advice on what to trim...please consider volunteering an opinion and don't fear insulting me...thx

#192364 - 10/29/15 08:08 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One suggestion often made--tag each item with a small piece of masking tape. It takes only a few minutes when you're packing for a trip. The first time you use an item, remove the masking tape. The items that still have the tape on when you get home are possible candidates for elimination.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/29/15 08:13 PM)

#192365 - 10/29/15 08:27 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: OregonMouse]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Another suggestion: Often people will use items because they have them thus never eliminating much. So another idea is to consciously leave something out which you normally use and see how it goes without it. Doing this a number of times with different items allows one to learn what items they really need vs nice to have.

#198527 - 06/22/17 05:50 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: aimless]
rio nueces Offline

Loc: East Texas

Hey, I'm a Methodist but I have a St. Jude medallion I carry on my pack. He's the patron Saint of hopeless causes. I've felt like a hopeless cause on a trip or two.
And while I might not take a Glock (I carried a Smith Model 58 .41 Mag. in the mountains....once) I might consider carrying a light and thin Ruger LCP.380 these days. Not for bears, but for, uh,'other' predators. Less than 12 ounces loaded.

#201844 - 10/01/18 08:50 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: BZH]
Talthing Offline

lol uh huh...I carried a mini 14 (before they were illegal) down one side and a 10 guage shotgun down the other side of my pack (so like ~27 lbs between the 2 guns..another 10 lbs of ammo added to that)...the pack was probably 40 lbs without the guns and ammo (canned food, full 2 person mess kit...coleman 1 burner white gas stove...4 person tent...4 lb field jacket. And I was wearing Vietnam era jungle boots. My buddy had pretty much the same setup as me but also carried a 3/4 axe.

This was a 3 day trip. We had *just* gotten out of boot camp and decided to go on a backpack trip before reporting back to base (2 weeks off)

Lucky we had the trail to ourselves...or everybody saw us and hid until we went by....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum