Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184309 - 04/06/14 10:17 AM Baby Carrier...I have this "friend"
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
So I'm 5 years too late for my son, but my cousin (and his wife) are about to have their first baby. I think he would be interested in doing some shorter day hikes after the baby is born but he will obviously need a baby backpack. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these packs and if you recommend any specific models. I can tell you he wont want to spend more than $100 - $150 total. Please help!

#184310 - 04/06/14 04:45 PM Re: Baby Carrier...I have this "friend" [Re: dylansdad77]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check out the Deuter kid carrier. I believe that's what Sarbar, our backpacking chef in residence, has used for her last two.

There should be used carriers available, since once the youngest child is 2 1/2 to 3 years old, the kid carrier becomes a useless item.

Do note, though, that for the first 6-7 months, until the little one has developed the muscles to sit erect, a backpack carrier is not suitable. A front carrier that supports baby's head and neck is needed for that first half year.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/06/14 04:47 PM)

#184329 - 04/07/14 02:05 PM Re: Baby Carrier...I have this "friend" [Re: dylansdad77]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I have used quite a few of the various types of these things.

As OM mentioned when newborn they don't have the neck muscles to hold their head up. You need something that supports their head. We used a baby sling (something like this: http://www.sevenslings.com/). It was good for around the house but too hot for hikes in the summer. For hiking with a newborn we used a front pack. I think we had an Evenflo and a Jeep brand front pack (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jeep-2-in-1-Sport-Baby-Carrier/10603610). The Evenflo was ok when they were small, but the jeep was much better and could be used to a higher a weight.

Once they were strong enough for forward facing they became too heavy to do any real hiking with the front pack. We used the front pack for short walks, but then got a hiking backpack for hiking.

I have a Sherpani (http://www.babycarriers168.com/sherpani-baby-carrier.htm) and an REI brand child carrier that I bought used. I don't think either are made anymore. They are much more comfortable for long hikes with a kid and I would definitely recommend one if you plan on going on hike.

If you want new, Kelty is a brand that tends to hit the sweet spot on price and quality. If your willing to get used I would look for a quality brand like REI or Deuter. I payed about $100 for the used REI one and think it was money well spent. I like it better than the Sherpani I bought new from REI. The Sherpani is not as stable on the ground.

Helpful hint: when you pick up the pack (with your kid in it) make sure you pick it up by the middle loop. It is top heavy and unstable and could be dangerous if you try to pick it up by the strap to put it on. I nearly dumped my kid out the first time when I did it wrong.

#184338 - 04/07/14 03:43 PM Re: Baby Carrier...I have this "friend" [Re: BZH]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My Kelty went through a few kids, and we finally gave it away to family after our last kid....then my wife got pregnant again, and so did the couple we gave it to. Anyways, it was around $100 new.

#187121 - 09/16/14 04:08 PM Re: Baby Carrier...I have this "friend" [Re: finallyME]
Tim Sotthee Offline

Today various types of baby carriers available in the market. Click here to see baby carry wraps collection provided by Woven Wraps Australia.

Edited by Tim Sotthee (09/16/14 04:10 PM)

#187122 - 09/16/14 05:19 PM Re: Baby Carrier...I have this "friend" [Re: Tim Sotthee]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Tim, when our kids were younger, my wife loved the wraps (I preferred the Ergo), but as BZH mentioned, that style of kid carrier isn't really appropriate for backpacking. I believe the OP is/was looking for a backpack that will carry gear and a child. Not to mention, the one you linked to is very pricey. We've made our own with bargain fabric and plastic rings for a tiny fraction of that.

#187416 - 10/18/14 11:20 PM Re: Baby Carrier...I have this "friend" [Re: dylansdad77]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Ah...

I've four kids, and we've carried them in a variety of climates - and that matters for this conversation.

1) Your buddy will need a front carrier of some sort for the first 3-6 months. If he's dayhiking, his normal backpack goes on his back. In summer conditions, you need to monitor for dehydration/overheating, which can become an issue if you don't watch it. We've used older Baby Bjorn and the newer Ergo products with good success. The Ergo, which switches to a back carrier as the kid gets bigger, has other applications that make it a useful piece of gear in daily life.

2) If you need to take kid+gear and they need to get off your stomach due to size (you've already gone through this, you know what I mean) then there are a variety of options. If you're just wandering around a park, the Ergo will do. If you're going to start HIKING, especially without a partner, then you'll either need to figure out how you're going to carrier 10 essentials with the Ergo (not impossible) or you'll need to invest in a pack of some type.

I've liked Kelty's products, but if you're going to go out and do serious hiking with the kid, then the key features that you're looking for are (1) Good suspension for you so you can manage the kid's load, and a good harness for the kid that's adjustable to the kid as they grow, (2) space for 10 essentials, baby essentials, food, more baby stuff (3) a place for a hydration bladder, (4) some kind of sun/rain hood to stop you before you run the kid's head through a branch or bush (surprisingly important).

I think that this drives you to an external frame, but some of Kelty's products were headed towards convertible day packs a while ago, so you may have options that I didn't when I started this ride with my now 11 year old oldest kid (youngest is 3). Also, close to the body was good when it was cold, but not so good when it was hot. Close to the body also limits your/kids clothing choices (hard to wear the Ergo on your back while wearing a winter coat, for instance). You can probably find a used top of the line Kelty/Deuter/Sherpini pack for half to a third of the on the shelf current model if you work the net.

Bottom line is that the Ergo is a good buy for the kid of hiking I think you're describing (short and on improved trails, probably with both parents), and then it's up to your friend about how much challenge they really want to take on, and then that will drive their other equipment choices.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum