Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183830 - 03/14/14 12:35 AM elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC?
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Ok, so - two of the things often in my bag is homemade elk jerky and dry pepperoni. (don't worry, I just found it after it seemed to have tragically expired from a 7 milimeter coronary occlusion). So a simple question for those of you in California...

Will I get away with putting it (vacsealed) in a mailed resupply package - or should I not tempt fate?
Browse my pictures

#183833 - 03/14/14 01:24 AM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You probably want to check the US Dept. of Agriculture rules for importing foods. I'm not sure they allow homegrown dried meat (as opposed to commercially packaged). Maybe it's no big deal from Canada; I don't really know. I don't think you folks have any animal diseases that we don't have. I don't know if the USDA puts their cute little green-jacketed beagles to work on shipped items, but they are in evidence at a lot of airports. The one time I really got the third degree was coming back from Europe in 2001, when foot-and-mouth disease was raging over there. That was understandable!

California's thing is plant products, especially fruit. Again, from a supermarket, OK, but from orchard or home garden fruit trees, no. Again, I don't know about home-grown dehydrated fruit. I cross the border from Oregon quite a bit. I just tell them it's all from the supermarket, which it is. Also, the border inspection station on US 199 (Grants Pass, OR to Crescent City, CA) is closed over half the time when I go through, so they evidently aren't all that serious, even with the apple maggot problems up here in the PNW.

#183868 - 03/15/14 05:12 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Oh I'm sure the official rules would have some kind of prohibition against it - What I was more wondering was if I put some in a bucket that's going to Muir Trail Ranch will anyone notice wink
Browse my pictures

#183870 - 03/15/14 05:24 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: phat]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
will anyone notice

When it comes to customs enforcement, I think they want to keep you guessing about that. Fear, uncertainty and doubt are their friend. grin

#183873 - 03/15/14 07:00 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: aimless]
phat Offline

Yeah, I know.. And this walrus getting to mtr without his bukkit would be very unfortunate... :P
Browse my pictures

#183907 - 03/17/14 05:13 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: phat]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I can't offer any advice on crossing the border, and I think that is the gist of your question.

Can you mail your resupply once you get here? I would be shocked if you had problems doing that. I mail homemade items all the time through the post office. It has never been a problem. California is quite strict about fresh produce crossing its border though.

#183936 - 03/18/14 11:01 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: BZH]

Ok, what did you bring to the Eagle Creek hike some years ago? If that got through, probably whatever you're taking to the JMT will go through. No guaranttes (especially from this ignorant granny), but it might be an indication. Monday my daughter, her husband and I, went back and forth between Oregon and California several times (including one road right on the state line) with no inspection at all--for whatever that info is worth.

#183939 - 03/18/14 11:07 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

I had moose jerky on eagle creek.. but it came in with me - and had it been not allowed in, I'd have just picked up some replacement food before starting..

The last thing I want is to arrive at MTR and find out my supply bucket never cleared customs wink so I probably won't take the chance...
Browse my pictures

#184437 - 04/11/14 07:47 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: phat]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Animal Products and Animal By-Products

The importation of fresh, dried or canned meats or meat products is generally not allowed from most foreign countries into the United States. This includes products that have been prepared with meat. However, currently pork and poultry, which has proof of origin, from Canada is enterable. Not all Ruminant material can enter however personal use amounts of bovine meat or foods containing bovine meat or meat products (e.g., beef, veal, bison) are allowed in passenger baggage and mail, no import permit or other documentation is required.

Questions about bringing hunting meat/wild game products, please click here.

The regulations on importing meat and meat products change frequently because they are based on disease outbreaks in different areas of the world. The best source for the current disease status can be found starting on page 19 of the APHIS website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/do

#184438 - 04/11/14 07:48 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: Steadman]
Steadman Offline

Source for last: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1273/kw/beef%20jerky%20vacuum%20packed/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5NzI1OTkyNi9zaWQvMU1DQ195Umw%3D/suggested/1

Das Google is wonderful, if a little freeky:)

#184442 - 04/12/14 11:35 AM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: Steadman]
phat Offline

So as I suspected - the short answer is it's "rule of the week" and I probably shouldn't try it smile
Browse my pictures

#184561 - 04/17/14 01:37 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: phat]
Steadman Offline

Dude... you're sending in a "personal use amount" via the mail.

The way this reads, that's allowed.

#184562 - 04/17/14 02:11 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: Steadman]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Whether a "personal use amount" is allowed would depend on the interpretation of the word "bovine" in regard to elk. The fact that it seems to include bison along with domestic cattle makes that interpretation less than obvious.

#192297 - 10/22/15 09:25 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: phat]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Originally Posted By phat

Ok, so - two of the things often in my bag is homemade elk jerky and dry pepperoni. (don't worry, I just found it after it seemed to have tragically expired from a 7 milimeter coronary occlusion). So a simple question for those of you in California...

Will I get away with putting it (vacsealed) in a mailed resupply package - or should I not tempt fate?

Edited by OregonMouse (10/22/15 11:42 PM)
Edit Reason: remove ad hominem comment

#192298 - 10/22/15 11:39 PM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: Aragon]

Edited by moderator to remove ad hominem political comment (about one of our longtime and respected members) in a "zombie" thread resurrected only for this purpose.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/22/15 11:43 PM)

#192301 - 10/23/15 04:30 AM Re: elk jerky and elk pepperoni - can I mail to PRC? [Re: OregonMouse]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Edited by moderator to remove ad hominem political comment (about one of our longtime and respected members) in a "zombie" thread resurrected only for this purpose.

Perhaps you can edit the ad hom comment in the subject as well?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum