Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183543 - 03/05/14 01:58 PM Return my tax money then!!!
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Per a article on my local online rag, CA collected more property tax money than expected, so spent it. Tax me more, then per their usual ways, spent it too. I live in a rural area and they are charging me the last two years now for fire protection that the FS provides, not CalFire.
http://www.plumasnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12253:feather-river-college-notified-of-418000-windfall&catid=69:-headline-news&Itemid=6
Duane

#183546 - 03/05/14 03:51 PM Re: Return my tax money then!!! [Re: hikerduane]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Here in Oregon we have a law you would probably like, called the "kicker law". Whenever state revenues exceed predicted revenues by more than 2%, the entirety of the excess amount above the prediction must be returned to the taxpayers. It is the only such law in any of the 50 states and it has been in place long enough (over 20 years at least) to gauge its effects.

Personally, I don't care for the effects. Because state budgets must be balanced (which is good) and they address future spending (which is unavoidable), the only rational way to know how to balance the budget is to make a stab at guessing how much tax revenue you'll raise. This is the best any state can do, but it is a very inexact system.

The fact that revenues exceeded predictions has absolutely nothing to do with the state collecting "too much" money, as it has to do with a mismatch between some economist's guesswork about the future and what really happened. Most of all, the revenue that was predicted has nothing to do with the amount of money needed to pay for the services the people need or want.

Say there's a recession (not too farfetched, right?) and there's not enough money to fix roads or pay for state troopers. Those needs go unmet. Not enough money. Now imagine that there's actually more money than you budgeted for those things. In Oregon, those needs remain unmet much longer, even when there's money to pay for them, because of the kicker law. The net result is that state services are underfunded more frequently and the backlog of problems that pile up in lean times are rarely caught up with when lean times end. The state's basic infrastructure, including its schools, roads and parks, has been sinking slowly for decades now.

That's just how I view it. Every attempt to repeal the kicker in Oregon gets shouted down, so obviously some people here like it.

#183552 - 03/05/14 07:15 PM Re: Return my tax money then!!! [Re: aimless]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
That makes sense. Much of the timber producing counties that Oregon has too, are dependent on the goodness of our legislatures to send taxpayer dollars so roads and schools can be kept up. That bill comes up every year.
Duane

#183573 - 03/06/14 06:00 AM Re: Return my tax money then!!! [Re: hikerduane]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Here in Florida the governor wants to give unexpected revenue to private corporations in the form of tax cuts. He doesn't seem concerned about the income tax he imposed on state employees two year ago (3%), the cuts made to every state agency, state services, or to infrastructure.

I guess being a state employee makes me a little biased.

#183574 - 03/06/14 06:19 AM Re: Return my tax money then!!! [Re: hikerduane]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Here in Michigan we are going to have a surplus. All education funding has been cut and infrastructure spending has been eliminated due to the recession and the weakness of the auto industry which has been the basis of the MI economy. Being an election year the politicians want to "cut taxes". The refund to the people would be about $40. The majority of the people want to fix the roads and/or help education. The surplus does not go far to restore the education cuts or the fix the roads but a tax refund buys one restaurant meal and does nothing to fix the problems. We need politicians less dependent on buying votes and more interested in doing what has to be done.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 255 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum