Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183427 - 03/01/14 07:28 PM Shoe Opinions Needed...
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
I'm not new to backpacking, but when it come to decisions about shoe's, I pretty much get stuck every time. I prefer trail runners over boots and recently purchase a pair of NB 860's which fit great. http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=M860BK3
The only issue I may have is all the mesh used in the construction of a lot of the new shoes out there today. Although they may dry faster, they will be picking up a lot more dirt. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

#183441 - 03/02/14 12:01 PM Re: Shoe Opinions Needed... [Re: intrek38]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I also do not like mesh because I do a lot of off-trail and it gets torn up easily. I use low-cut light hikers for this reason. I would rather go ounces heavier and not get filthy and have my shoes last the trip. Do you use gaiters? That at least keeps out the dirt from the top.

Another strategy would be to use a tight weave outer sock so the dirt does not get to the feet. I do not know if any sock would meet that criteria.

#183450 - 03/02/14 06:45 PM Re: Shoe Opinions Needed... [Re: wandering_daisy]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Thank you WD for your response. My almost 50 year old feet are very hard to please and this particular pair just feels right. After switching to trail runners a while back with the now discontinued Montrail AT Plus trail shoes, I'm sold. Unless I find something else, I may just have to go with gaiters as you suggested. Either that or just eat dirt, which isn't so bad depending where one chooses to hike. I suppose this mesh invention does have it's benefits but it also comes with it limitations. Thanks Again...

#183451 - 03/02/14 07:21 PM Re: Shoe Opinions Needed... [Re: intrek38]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A lot of long distance hikers wear breathable nylon shortie gaiters from Dirty Girl or Simblissity, which don't require a cord under the foot (the part that wears out the soonest. Dirty Girl features many funky fabric patterns and require you to glue a velcro attachment to your shoe. Simblissity gaiters don't require a velcro attachment, but tthey come in only four plain colors. As a velcro hater, I prefer Simblissity, despite the lack of style.

The purpose of these gaiters is to keep sticks, stones, sand, mud, etc. from getting into your shoes. They are not waterproof. If sprayed with permethrin occasionally and worn with long pants tucked inside, they also keep ticks from crawling up your legs.

I know what you mean--the mesh (what's not under the gaiter) lets in plenty of dust, but on the other hand it dries fast after you slog through a stream. At least with gaiters, the bigger stuff stays outside!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/02/14 07:24 PM)

#183452 - 03/02/14 07:59 PM Re: Shoe Opinions Needed... [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I remember I had to carry my older brother across streams so his feet wouldn't get wet. (Your turn Glenn.)

#183453 - 03/02/14 08:28 PM Re: Shoe Opinions Needed... [Re: intrek38]
lori Offline

I got a pair of Lowa shoes. They are mostly leather, and keep the fine dirt out nicely.

I also have Trekstas, which I love and fit like gloves, but they do let the dirt in much more.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#183472 - 03/03/14 12:27 PM Re: Shoe Opinions Needed... [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I won't opine on the shoe itself, as I'm confident that *the* hardest gear/clothing choice by far is finding the right trail shoe. We're not at all "alike" when it comes to which shoe works well, so what's great for one person might be a very poor choice for another.

But on the topic of gaiters --- I don't tend to wear them. In certain conditions I will, but generally I find that wearing long pants keeps most trail debris out of my shoes, and finer dirt/dust gets in through the mesh anyway.

And when I don't have gaiters on, I'm more inclined to take my shoes off at a break; always a good thing to do, but add gaiters into the mix and it's a bit more of a hassle.

#184436 - 04/11/14 06:06 PM Re: Shoe Opinions Needed... [Re: intrek38]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“ I prefer trail runners over boots and recently purchase a pair of NB 860's which fit great… The only issue I may have is all the mesh used in the construction of a lot of the new shoes out there today. Although they may dry faster, they will be picking up a lot more dirt. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks”

I just hope they have lateral stability. That’s a great help on scree and talus.
I don’t wear a mesh shoe but something similar: sandals with socks; tight cushy fast-drying socks. They may pick up more dirt but after I walk through streams the foot stays clean; surprisingly clean. In desert, the foot will be dusty but I wash that down at night.

May everyone find their foot zen,
-Barry

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum