Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182534 - 02/05/14 08:40 PM Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack
karlditmar Offline

this might be a stupid question but i dont have the right size stuff sack for my tent, i do however have an empty pocket in my backpack that i can stuff it into, is this going to damage it in anyway? or is this an ok way to pack it

#182535 - 02/05/14 09:16 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: karlditmar]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
It should be fine. In fact, you can pack it without a stuff sack inside the main compartment and not hurt it. (Well, not unless you're carrying a lot of rocks or other abrasive stuff in there.)

Stuff sacks mostly serve to organize things, or to keep dry things separated from potentially wet things. They're handy, but not mandatory.

#182536 - 02/05/14 09:29 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: karlditmar]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The act of stuffing a tent shouldn't hurt it, unless you're jamming it into the same space with sharp items that could hurt it. It might become damaged if the pocket where you stuff it is an external mesh pocket, where it could be exposed to sharp things outside your pack, such as tree branches.

Just practice a bit of care and you should be fine.

#182537 - 02/05/14 09:37 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: Glenn Roberts]
karlditmar Offline

awesome thank you guys

#182553 - 02/06/14 11:43 AM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: karlditmar]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
You might consider getting a plastic grocery sack and stuffing the tent into the sack, and both into the pack mesh. If something cuts or abrades the pack mesh into where the tent is, better that the first point of contact is the disposable sack.

Perhaps go for one of the better (not really really thin) type of plastic sacks. Grocery store plastic sacks are very thin, but sometimes other stores give out somewhat beefier plastic shopping bags (I cache those against the day when all plastic shopping sacks are eliminated).

#182557 - 02/06/14 12:29 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: BrianLe]
karlditmar Offline

its not a mesh pocket, i believe its the pocket where my sleeping bag is meant to go but i have a stuff sack for my sleeping back and it fits nicely inside the main compartment of the pack so i dont really need the sleeping bag compartment anyway.

#183091 - 02/21/14 12:17 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: karlditmar]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
First off....you can get that tent into the stuff sack it came with. Every tent has a "trick" to getting it in that bag. Cheap tents are harder to get in because the manufacturer generally makes the stuff sack just big enough to fit a tent that was packed by a machine. However, if you look at the floor construction, you can generally figure out how it is suppose to be rolled up. With nicer tents, for some reason, the manufacturer gives the user a bigger stuff sack.

At any rate...it doesn't matter if you stuff it anywhere in your pack. I sometimes stuff the tent separate from the poles to fit better in the pack. The biggest thing to think about is what will you do with it when it gets wet.

#183104 - 02/21/14 06:46 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: finallyME]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I like how you phrased that: "...what will you do with it WHEN it gets wet." You avoided the more inaccurate "if." smile

#183105 - 02/21/14 07:53 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: karlditmar]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Stuff it anywhere it will fit! There are no rules and some of us forego stuff sacks for things like tents to save weight. You can even roll it and lash it to the outside of your pack, especially when wet. Take care to fold/roll/stuff it with any netting or delicate bits towards the inside and try and keep it away from sharp metal or plastic things that might cut or abate the tent.

#183221 - 02/25/14 01:05 AM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: karlditmar]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My tent goes in one of the side pockets of my pack, so I can get at it without letting the pack contents get rained on. It is inside a stuff sack, for protection. If your outside pocket isn't mesh, the stuff sack isn't necessary. Yes, the tent will often be wet, and must be kept away from the dry stuff in your pack.

There will be more room in the tent's stuff sack, and less pressure/friction on the tent, if you carry the poles separately. Or you can get a slightly larger lightweight silnylon stuff sack.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/25/14 01:06 AM)

#183307 - 02/26/14 07:07 PM Re: Can i stuff my tent in a pocket of my backpack [Re: OregonMouse]
ThTentMastah Offline

Another good tip is to stuff it in a way that it never folds in the same areas. Otherwise the wall of the tent might get damaged due to constant folding.
A plastic bag is a must only if the wall of the tent is made of mesh, or you are going to store the tent alongside sharp objects.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum