Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183199 - 02/24/14 07:09 PM Heard of this tent?
ZachBilous Offline

Hi y'all.

Can we focus on this tent for a few minutes?
I stumbled across the NatureHike 2 tent. I will post a link below to the tent.

http://sourcemound.com/products.php?product=NatureHike-2-persons-outdoor-camping-tent

Has anyone heard of this tent? What are your opinions about the specs?
I will be mostly 3 season backpacking, but I want the peace of mind of knowing my tent will be compatible with winter conditions. This NatureHike 2 is advertised as 4 seasons. I just can't find any reviews on it, or any information, really, other than it is manufactured in Hong Kong. I'm not sure if I like the door on the rainfly, in wet conditions, when closed, perhaps rain water will get under the seams of the fly-door and leak down into the vestibule area?

Weighing in at 4lbs 4oz. I think this is a bit heavy, but the 4 season aspect intriques me, as well as the waterproofing on the fly and bottom (3000mm +).

What do you think, honestly?
Thanks for your opinions!

Zachary

#183200 - 02/24/14 07:30 PM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: ZachBilous]
lori Offline

i would stop looking at the tent and look into actual four season gear, if that is what i wanted.

i would never trust a tent described as having "plaid oxford cloth" floor. the description reads as if translated poorly. it has nothing that says it is wind worthy or features that suggest it is good in snow. it is a heavy three season tent.

i suggest first finding out what you need, learning about features that make a tent four season, and then deciding if you really want one "just in case" - odds are really good that with a little information you will decide on a nice three season tent.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#183201 - 02/24/14 08:07 PM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: ZachBilous]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I took one brief look at the photo and decided that I would never consider buying that tent. Any time you opened the door to get in or out, rain would fall right into the tent, even if there wasn't a breath of wind. My guess is that whoever designed it hasn't spent any time backpacking and never tested the design in rigorous conditions. It's a backyard sleepover tent mimicking the look of a backcountry tent. frown

#183202 - 02/24/14 08:09 PM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: aimless]
lori Offline

I'm finding it a little ironic that this OP started out in a thread last year having sold a 2 person tent and looking for a bivy. And now he is looking not just for a two person tent but a four season just in case.

What happened to Tarptent?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#183203 - 02/24/14 08:23 PM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: lori]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I went back to his previous thread from last year, too. The advice he got there from six or eight different experienced forum members was very well thought out. Just because we give pretty good advice to strangers on the internet doesn't mean anyone will ever take it. smile

#183205 - 02/24/14 09:05 PM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: ZachBilous]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
No, no, no...Generally, you get what you pay for. For not a whole lot more, you can get a tent from a company with an actual reputation like REI's house brand, Sierra Designs, MSR or Kelty, probably a bit lighter.

Right now, Campmor has the MSR Hubba and Hubba Hubba on sale; they're last year's model, but so what? They don't quit working just because the calendar changed.

Keep looking.

#183214 - 02/24/14 11:11 PM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: lori]
ZachBilous Offline

I have a girlfriend now, I have to factor her into the equation now lol. So much for solo, bivy style camping!

I love the tarptents... scarp 2 especially. I live in B.C. Canada and not sure what the actual total price will be after it going past the border, and currency conversion. I hate the thought of spending $500-$600 for a two person tarptent!!!

#183226 - 02/25/14 08:29 AM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: ZachBilous]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
As some have said, you get what you pay for.

I normally hike with a one person shelter. Very occasionally I can get my wife to come out with me. it's the only time I take something bigger.

I've ordered the SCARP 2 into canada for a friend, it came across the border just fine and I only paid the GST.. yeah, life sucks, and we have free health care.... I've stayed in that tent and it would be a very good choice for a couple - it's light, but can be put up solidly with the cross poles (an epic storm in new zealand didn't destroy it smile.

I personally have a black diamond skylight that I use for this purpose. - which I also think is a palace although my wife might disagree - I have this because I got it second hand from a friend. it's a very good tent but new is usually more expensive than the scarp. Were I buying a new one for this purpose I would probably get the scarp 2.

Edited by phat (02/25/14 08:31 AM)
Browse my pictures

#183268 - 02/26/14 11:04 AM Re: Heard of this tent? [Re: ZachBilous]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
that would work for 4 seasons in the southern US and Mexico, but not in BC Canada. 2 Poles won't hold a good snow load.
Of course, when I say it will work, I mean it won't collapse under a snow load. It won't hold up to wind... and no telling how it does in rain. Usually at that price, it will leak.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 230 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum