Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183136 - 02/22/14 10:49 PM Need help selecting a daypack.
Hesbreadjim Offline

So I'll just jump right to it, I am fairly new to outdoorsy stuff and I am going to be a medical staff person for a week long Boy Scout camp coming up this summer, and I need a daypack that I can keep a first aid kit along with some other things. My only requirements is that it has gear loops to hang things and side pockets for nalgene water bottles. I am not a huge fan of the sleek styling of packs today so if anyone has any suggestions on what to get I would really appreciate some input from people who know what they are doing.

#183137 - 02/22/14 11:15 PM Re: Need help selecting a daypack. [Re: Hesbreadjim]
jimmyb Offline

Well you have the choice of buying off the shelf from outfitters, going to a cottage mfg for something Ultra light or custom made and some even make their own. The last thing I would worry about is styling. Colors, features ect mean nothing if the pack is uncomfortable. I have learned here to collect ALL the gear you will be hauling for your trip and get a pack that

1 is large enough to carry the gear
2 fits the best when properly fitted
3 is comfortable above all others that you have tried on

That may require you to take a box full of your gear and load up one by one the packs you will be trying on. As others here have suggested maybe call ahead to get some help fitting with someone experienced at a time they don't plan on being too busy. There is no shame in doing it this way and it truly is the best way to get any pack, big or small. Always wait for sales and don't be afraid to ask for a discount at the big retailers. I wouldn't dare ask for discounts from the small custom made in USA guys. They deserve to make a profit so they can continue to make a living.

Ps. ditch those heavy Nalgene bottles and go with some 1 liter soda bottles or something like smart water bottles that come in different sizes. They will both be skinnier and fit in a lot of the small side pockets on the smaller day packs. Not to mention they hold water just as reliably and weigh a ton less.

You may also want to think about hanging things from a pack especially if you are only day hiking. Most day hiking can be done with a smaller load and should not be a problem tucked away in your pack. Things possibly swinging and bouncing around outside the pack unless skillfully lashed can be a real PITA. Always think comfort, lightest weight and don't carry things you will never likely use.

Edit- Oh and by the way, good for you getting into the outdoorsy stuff and helping those scouts. goodjob The more you plan for your trips the more fun you will have. So be sure to check out some of the good reading here and ask away if you need help.
jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (02/22/14 11:23 PM)

#183142 - 02/23/14 08:58 AM Re: Need help selecting a daypack. [Re: Hesbreadjim]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
At the risk of being banned from this site, I'm going to suggest some not-so-ultralight options.

I don't concern myself too much with weight for my daypacks. This doesn't mean I look for bricks to carry either, just that my priorities change.

As you state you would like the option of extra attachment points, I will suggest one of the many military inspired packs out there. These often have webbing to add pockets and accessories, of which there are many to choose from. Most of these cost more than a department store pack, but one gets what one pays for. As an added bonus (at least to me), there are many Made in USA options to choose from.

Here are a few:
Tactical Tailor Urban Operator pack
I own this pack and will vouch for its durability.

Spec Ops THE Pack

Spec Ops Recon Ruck Ultra
Can be used frameless or with a standard alice pack frame. I use this pack with a frame for day hikes that might require a slightly heavier load. I also like the ventilation provided by the external frame. BTW, I have modified alice pack frames for length and can send you instructions in a PDF file if the standard alice pack frame doesn't fit you.

London Bridge Trading
Keep an out for sales. They have been having some steep discounts lately.

#183146 - 02/23/14 01:47 PM Re: Need help selecting a daypack. [Re: Hesbreadjim]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I need a daypack that I can keep a first aid kit along with some other things. My only requirements is that it has gear loops to hang things and side pockets for nalgene water bottles.

From this description I know you need to carry:

1) a first aid kit, of unknown contents or dimensions
2) more than one Nalgene water bottle (presumably two)
3) various unspecified "things" that will go inside and hang from gear loops on the outside.

Unfortunately, this gives us rather scanty details to work with if we're going to recommend any actual daypacks.

For starters, whatever daypack you acquire needs to be big enough to hold the things you want to put inside. A too-small pack will be useless to you. A too-large pack will be overkill. But we can't figure out the right size from what you've told us.

The weight of what you'll be carrying plays into what will work well for you, too. As a rule of thumb, the less weight you carry, the happier you'll be, but only if that weight represents everything you will need. Without knowing the other "things" you're planning to carry, it's hard to draw a bead on their cumulative weight. The more they weigh, the more you'll need a good hip belt and suspension to transfer that weight away from your shoulders. If, the unnamed things don't weigh much, that hip belt and suspension become expensive overkill and add useless weight to your whole kit - maybe a couple of unnecessary pounds, which isn't chicken feed.

The last factor we can't really suss out is probably the most important: fit. Bodies differ in how they are dimensioned. Torso length, shoulder width, hip and waist girth. A pack that feels sweet and comfortable for one person can be a minor nightmare for another person. We can tell you what works for us, but we can't guarantee it would work nearly as well for you.

So we can point you at some possible answers, but even though we do 'know what we're doing', in the end only you can know what YOU are doing. Yes, some more information about your load's size and weight would help us narrow down our advice, but the final answer will come when you put all your stuff in (and on) your pack, put it on, adjust it, and see how it feels to you. That's more important than brand, price or those whizbang features sales clerks love to talk about.

#183181 - 02/24/14 11:39 AM Re: Need help selecting a daypack. [Re: Hesbreadjim]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I wouldn't stress too much over a daypack. Just stay away from "Dollar Store" packs and get something heavy duty.

I'll offer you take a look at Jansport daypacks. They're nearly indestructible, guaranteed for life, and they've got a lot of models to choose from. I've got two and after about 7 years of pretty solid use they are still in great shape.

"You want to go where?"

#183189 - 02/24/14 01:31 PM Re: Need help selecting a daypack. [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I agree about Jansport. Their day packs have come through for me in the past. I recently replaced a 30 year old Jansport that easily saw more than 200 trail days.

I normally wouldn't stress much over a daypack, either, in that for most people a normal daypack load would be in the neighborhood of 8-12 lbs. including water, so that a waist belt and suspension just aren't required. But, when someone mentions a "first aid kit" for a group situation, that right there could be anything from a modest kit under half a pound up to a bells--and-whistles kit of several pounds, including a fair bit of bulk. When that person also casually mentions an intention of hanging stuff off external gear loops, then their load requirements get even murkier. Clarification seemed in order.

#183192 - 02/24/14 02:35 PM Re: Need help selecting a daypack. [Re: aimless]
lori Offline

IF we are talking about EMT gear, there are specialized packs for that. Try googling for search and rescue suppliers - expensive but built to protect the gear from being tossed in and out of jeeps, with specialized compartments and durable materials.

If we are talking about just a layperson with first aid training who's toting a few SAM splints and a sizable kit in addition to his own gear, look at extended day packs in the 30-40 liter range. Gregory has some that can carry up to 40 lbs - I have my SAR gear in one, and have also used it for multi-day backpacking with a bear canister.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#184350 - 04/08/14 02:23 AM Re: Need help selecting a daypack. [Re: Hesbreadjim]
Cal_Hawkeye Offline

I don't know if it will have enough loops for you, but I love my Gregory Z-30. It is a high performance pack. Just the right amount of sturdy vs. lightweight. It conforms to my body to the point that it practically becomes part of it, and I love ventilated packs. And it has the load bearing features of a big pack, which many small packs lack. If you are carrying a lot of weight in the small pack (sounds like you will), you will very much appreciate this.

But if you are hell bent on attachment points, etc., I would agree that you should look at military style packs. I would look at eberelestock, mystery ranch, and kifaru for that sort of pack. They will all be heavy, but many have the big pack features like a good waistbelt, load lifters, etc. And mystery ranch and kifaru are both very expenses; eberlestock more affordable.

I will say that if you want your pack to be like a station (organizing your first aid gear so that you can get to it if needed) rather than something to hold your gear while you move, the military style packs are probably better for that. On the other hand, hanging too much stuff on a pack is a bad idea in my opinion ... the stuff bounces around and robs you of energy with every step and gets caught on stuff. And if you are using extra pouches and equipment, the weight adds up very quickly. So try to find the right balance.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum