Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182774 - 02/11/14 07:04 PM Medium weight down jacket
jimmyb Offline

Hey folks,
I am looking for recommendations for a mid weight down jacket that would be more substantial than my down sweater. Most use would be for low activity levels or for a layer on really cold days. I have been looking at some sales on Marmots Ama Dablam but that's about as far as I got. Any help would be welcome

Thanks jimmyb

#182783 - 02/11/14 08:41 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: jimmyb]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I really love my Western Mountaineering down jacket. It is 10oz and very very warm.

#182845 - 02/12/14 07:30 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: jimmyb]
scratchtp Offline

Loc: New York
I am pretty happy with my montbell alpine light down parka, I got it on sale (which is rare) but I think they run 200$.

I guess it is difficult to say what might work for you, how cold will it be when you are using it? Is it just for around camp (low activity), or while doing something more? How warm is your current down sweater (fill power and amount)?

I couldn't actually find the amount of fill in the ama dablam jacket so I can't really compare anything to it.

#182905 - 02/13/14 11:23 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: scratchtp]
jimmyb Offline

Thank you both for the replies. Either jacket would fit my purpose but the Montbell is at a great price point and the fill weight seems very good for the price if the down is good quality. Passed up a used WM flight jacket but hard to tell what shape its in by a few pictures.

Still deciding on hood or no hood. Generally I find a hood somewhat annoying but I guess you cant beat the added warmth they offer.

thanks again, jimmyb

#182906 - 02/13/14 11:39 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: jimmyb]
rockchucker22 Offline

I went hood less and like it. I'm a beanie kind of person. I have montbell down pants, they are very warm for the weight.

#182907 - 02/14/14 12:30 AM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: jimmyb]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
GoLite Bitterroot has been a great down parka for me. Very warm, 850 fill and less than a pound.

Cheers,

#182911 - 02/14/14 11:38 AM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: Rick_D]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
I have the LL Bean 850 down jacket where the fluffs have been treated for water repellency. So far, so good. It's a nice weight jacket and very light. I believe the current price is about $180.00 and with their guarantee you really can't go wrong. One thing to note though, if you're looking for a hood, skip this jacket. As for myself, I always get too hot with a hood so prefer to use a hat as needed.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

#182913 - 02/14/14 12:31 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: jimmyb]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you're on a low budget, try Costco.

If you want a separate down hood, check out Goose Feet. They actually design their hoods for those who sleep in quilts. Like others here, I'd rather have a separate hat rather than a hood, for more flexible temperature regulation. YMMV, of course.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/14/14 12:32 PM)

#182914 - 02/14/14 12:34 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: scratchtp]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
"I am pretty happy with my montbell alpine light down parka"

I too have one of these and it's excellent, very happy with it in terms of warmth-to-weight ratio.

If I were considering any sort of down item (coat or sleeping bag/quilt), I would wait months or even a year if I could hold out at this point. The new "waterproof down" (DriDown or DownTek as it's variously marketed as) is out and fairly new. With a little more time to get more and more solid reviews these might turn out to be something I would find worth the money, at least in the wetter PNW where I live.
I've seen some positive reviews, but some doubts too, and it's not trivial to do a truly fair test comparing the new product to traditional down.

Also, close on the horizon are down/synthetic blends, e.g.,
http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-news/industry-news/item/primaloft-performance-down-blends

Some more skeptical folk suggest that the latter is coming about due to a shortage of down --- which argues exactly against waiting I guess! But it might really be a good approach too. It would certainly be nice to have the weight, compressibility, and durability of down coupled with better wet/humid performance.

#182919 - 02/14/14 05:03 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Problem with the down-synthetic mix, as I see it, is that the useful life of the item will be that of the synthetic insulation, which is much shorter than that of down because synthetic gets crushed by repeated compression. This doesn't justify the high price of the down portion of the insulation, IMHO.

#182921 - 02/14/14 05:33 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
If you're on a low budget, try Costco.

If you want a separate down hood, check out Goose Feet. They actually design their hoods for those who sleep in quilts. Like others here, I'd rather have a separate hat rather than a hood, for more flexible temperature regulation. YMMV, of course.
I have the goose feet hood, it is very nice. Almost too warm!

#182924 - 02/14/14 10:20 PM Re: Medium weight down jacket [Re: OregonMouse]
jimmyb Offline

Yes OM and Rock, I think the idea of a separate down head covering would be much more to my liking. Use when needed. smile I usually wear a combo of thin full face covering and a beanie under my shell hood when the wind is stinging. When the wind is not an issue I would much rather go with out a hood altogether. Just my personal preference.

Brian, I'm on the fence about the drydown issue. I think its a good idea but I hope inexperienced folks don't think this is going to be a reason to overlook keeping their insulation protected in packs and dry when wearing it. As I mentioned once before on this sight WM has been testing with it and in speaking with them they were not yet convinced although that could change quickly. They sounded cautiously optimistic but not yet willing to put their reputation on the line. Clothing seems to be the first to go to the drydowns because of their likeliness to be exposed more. I overlooked this issue in buying our new WM bags last fall but it wouldn't hurt to give clothing a second consideration. I don't think It would be a deal breaker for me however.

Thanks again to all for the good advise. I will often ask an opinion earlier on in my shopping process simply because I don't like making mistakes that can be avoided by getting help from those who have more experiences.

jimmyb

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum