Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182703 - 02/10/14 12:55 PM looking for a smaller and lighter backpack
mrnic3guy Offline

Loc: SW Pennsylvania
Hello everyone my names Matt. I have recently decided that I want the total weight of my backpack and its contents reduced to make for a more enjoyable experience while backpacking. Im considering a Columbia Silver Ridge 35L internal frame mainly due to size, weight, and price it's only like $75.00 right now. I will only be using it during the warmer months, money is tight, minimal weight, 20# max weight, and 1-4 day trips max. Would this be an appropriate backpack for what I want? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

#182704 - 02/10/14 01:00 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
The question is: can you put 4 days worth of gears in a 35L pack?

#182705 - 02/10/14 01:21 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
mrnic3guy Offline

I tried to fit that much stuff into my hunting backpack and couldn't its probably 35 liters. I guess in my head it seemed like my stuff took up less space lol sorry. I have a low budget to work with I checked the gear list on here would you recommend maybe a 50 liter pack?

#182706 - 02/10/14 01:32 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Pack You'll be hard pressed to find another pack in that size and price range at that weight. Thanks for helping me pass the time at work. grin

The other options is to keep browsing outdoor forums, craiglist, eBay, etc., for a used one.

#182710 - 02/10/14 03:44 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
bamudd Offline

I just got a Lowe Alpine Zepton 50 from Steepandcheap for $60.

2.5 lbs, aluminum stay, 50 liters, pack body uses dyneema fabric. I'd recommend looking around for one online, it's pretty awesome. If your back is the right size for it.

If you really, really, really aren't going over 20 lbs max weight, though, you should be able to get a sub 2 lb pack that does what you need. Probably sub 1.5 lbs. You don't really need a metallic frame at those weights, plastic and foam can give good weight transfer.

#182712 - 02/10/14 04:11 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
50L is a pretty good target for a 2 to 4-day pack. Presuming you don't have a bulky bag, sleeping pad, shelter or a lot of clothes, it's enough volume. I like the ability to strap gear outside (e.g., shelter, pad, etc.) because the food, at least at the beginning, can take up a lot of space. A big, stretchy back pocket is a plus, too.

Because there are hundreds to choose from, narrowing it down is a chore. I'll only suggest never overlooking fit in search of a bargain.

Good luck!

#182713 - 02/10/14 04:42 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By mrnic3guy
Hello everyone my names Matt. I have recently decided that I want the total weight of my backpack and its contents reduced to make for a more enjoyable experience while backpacking. Im considering a Columbia Silver Ridge 35L internal frame mainly due to size, weight, and price it's only like $75.00 right now. I will only be using it during the warmer months, money is tight, minimal weight, 20# max weight, and 1-4 day trips max. Would this be an appropriate backpack for what I want? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Get all your gear first then decide what size pack you'll need. If you are happy with everything else then get a pack. Do you have any outfitter stores near you? Go in and try on every pack that fits what you need. Buying one online without trying it can work but often ends with either a returned pack or a poor fitting pack that you try to tolerate because you spent the money.

#182716 - 02/10/14 05:20 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The most important part of a backpack is fit, fit and fit. It has to fit your body, it has to fit your gear and it has to be comfortable for you while carrying the gear inside (totally different feel than with sandbags or other weights). Backpack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit.

That's why it's strongly recommended to get all your other gear before shopping for a backpack. Add the equivalent in weight and bulk of a week's food and a day's water, box everything up and take it to the store (or have it ready to try on when you receive your mail-order pack, and hike around the house for a couple of hours, while you can still return the pack).

The articles on the home page of this site, left hand column will give you lots of tips on gear selection, including your pack.

I could use a 35 liter backpack, too, if I didn't take any food. For a week out, I need 40 liters. Your (and everyone else's) Mileage May, of course, Vary!

#182726 - 02/10/14 10:10 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
bamudd Offline

Also remember that liter ratings aren't always consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, and the loading and construction style of the pack itself. My REI Lookout 40, for example, only seems to carry as much as other manufacturers' 30 liter packs.

Great pack, I love it, but despite being rated 40 liters . . . it's a large day pack, not an overnighter. Well, maybe one night. I actually like that about it, though. I got it my senior year of college because I wanted a book bag with an aluminum stay. Perfect for carrying 20 lbs of books to class, and has stood up to going on 6 years of use and abuse across three continents.

Edited by bamudd (02/10/14 10:16 PM)

#182780 - 02/11/14 08:15 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
mrnic3guy Offline

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I do have the gear however i am waiting on a new lighter stove. I'm thinking about the Columbia Endura 65 liter bag. I'm a big fan of Columbia's gear but I will look into the other packs mentioned thank you for the alternatives. The only outfitter nearby is Gander Mountain very limited Selection and all near the $200.00 range. I will look again to see. What they have in the 50-+ range and try them on. I would love to go to REI but it's in Pittsburgh and its 60 miles away.

Edited by mrnic3guy (02/11/14 08:21 PM)

#183359 - 02/27/14 07:05 PM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
mrnic3guy Offline

So a friend of my Gfs dad gave me two external frames. One is a academy Broadway it's surprisingly light and the other idk what brand but it's much heavier. After I replaced the waist band on the academy its perfect fits great, transfers weight superbly, and weighs under 4#'s. Only downside is with my summer gear it's larger than needed but I like it and hope to.get an internal still.

#183377 - 02/28/14 08:33 AM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
While I know it's hard not to follow the trends - internal frame really is just that. some of us (surely not me, I'm practically a baby) hiked back when external frame was all the rage smile

if the old external is relatively light, an feels good to you, heck *use it* - after a few trips with it you can decide what parts of your gear you want to invest in lighter options. Nothing beats experience with the gear for that, as you get a "system" of how you like to pack things, and make them work together.

If I lived in the states, I'd be making good use of REI or campmor's web sites and ordering stuff.. REI in particular is easy to return things even those ordered on the web. (The acronym stands for Return Everything Immediately smile )

even before you invest in the super high tech UL gear, your biggest asset to backpacking light is the experience in your brain, and how you stay comfortable without putting your whole house on your back. You can practice that very effectively with older gear and hand-me-downs - If you can end up with a weight of 15 to 20 pounds in that old bag including it, before you add food water and fuel, you're probably doing better than 90% of the people on the trail anyway, and as you get out you'll figure out what you want to replace first.

And don't wait for a stove. Find some meals that work with just boiling water, make a Penny stove (the one I use) or a cat stove, look at a few people's lists here and get out a few times.

After that decide what you want to start replacing to make your experience better - which may mean you start buying some lighter gear, or even decide in some cases to take (gasp) some heavier gear... (I change stuff around a lot depending on where I am going and what I'm doing, and how lazy or hardcore I feel smile )

Edited by phat (02/28/14 08:36 AM)
Browse my pictures

#183378 - 02/28/14 10:50 AM Re: looking for a smaller and lighter backpack [Re: mrnic3guy]
mrnic3guy Offline

Well thank you I have been learning more and more after each trip I am going lighter and smarter every time.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum