Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182610 - 02/08/14 08:39 PM Re: Stoves! [Re: bamudd]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Canister stoves don't work well below 20*F. When it gets that cold, the propane part of the mix boils off first and you're left with isobutane at or below the temp at which it becomes liquid.

Keep the canister warm (prewarm it in your armpit under your jacket while doing a vigorous keep warm dance--it will really wake you up!), use a windscreen most of the way around (do feel the canister frequently while you're using the windscreen so the canister doesn't overheat and blow up), put the canister on a piece of foam pad to insulate it from the ground. Actually, when it gets that cold you either need a white gas (liquid feed) stove or a remote canister stove like the MSR Windpro II or Kovea Spider that uses an upside-down canister and has a tube next the burner to vaporize the gas (which basically converts the canister to a liquid feed).

It's one thing going stoveless in warm weather; quite another to be doing without hot food and drinks in below-freezing weather!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/08/14 08:40 PM)

#182615 - 02/08/14 09:11 PM Re: Stoves! [Re: bamudd]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Check out HJ's blog, "Adventures in stoving", I finally met him a few weeks ago at Henry Coe SP in CA. He has twice the stoves I have, most of the canister stoves. We've exchanged stoves a few times over the last few years.
I've used my Pocket Rocket into the single digits a few times, need to dunk the canister in water a few times or into the pot of water you are heating. A good remote canister stove should work fine if you want to stick with expensive canisters. Wind Pro II, Omnifuel, the old MSR Rapidfires, but they have a stiff fuel line. I usually bring a white gas or kerosene stove in cold weather. The MSR Dragonfly white gas/kerosene)seems to have the best adjustment for simmering. Loud.
Select a stove for your intended needs as has been stated, shape and size of burner means a lot. A broader head like a MSR Super Fly or Coleman Exponent F1 Power Boost have wide heads, good for dispersed flame
If you have to go out in cold temps make some adjustments or get a different stove.
I'm not an expert, I just have a lot of stoves. Tyson is being nice. I go bping year round by the way.
Duane

Edited by hikerduane (02/08/14 09:12 PM)

#182616 - 02/08/14 09:18 PM Re: Stoves! [Re: bamudd]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Naw, geek is good, but I have to be a junior stove geek on any forum with UberStoveGeek Duane. Just sayin.'

I'm familiar with the Express burner. It's not great from the standpoint of cooking IMHO, because of the concentrated flame and being picky about providing an even low flame. If you're interested in cooking more than just boiling water you might look for a burner that spreads the flame. I won't make a specific recommendation, but there are a lot to choose among. Weightwise, you might shave off as much as an ounce or so, but I'd hold out for something you'll gain more than a weight benefit from.

FWIW, efficiency--e.g.,pints boiled per canister or grams used per pint boiled--doesn't seem to vary as much from burner design as it does from kitchen design, including a relatively wide pot and an effective windscreen. Canister-top stoves can be tricky to set up with a good windscreen.

Cheers,

#182626 - 02/09/14 01:30 AM Re: Stoves! [Re: Rick_D]
bamudd Offline

Most of my trail cooking is just boiling water, and (especially with the ETA pot) the Primus is very, very good at that. 1 liter to a full rolling boil in just under 2:30.

I absolutely would not buy a whole new stove just to save one ounce. If I saw a real benefit to it, sure, but an ounce is not worth $40+ to me.

I have contemplated making an alcohol stove from a red bull can for backup and simmering, though.

#182631 - 02/09/14 08:27 AM Re: Stoves! [Re: bamudd]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By bamudd
Most of my trail cooking is just boiling water, and (especially with the ETA pot) the Primus is very, very good at that. 1 liter to a full rolling boil in just under 2:30.

I absolutely would not buy a whole new stove just to save one ounce. If I saw a real benefit to it, sure, but an ounce is not worth $40+ to me.

I have contemplated making an alcohol stove from a red bull can for backup and simmering, though.
Penny stoves/ alcohol stoves are not for simmering.

#182633 - 02/09/14 10:49 AM Re: Stoves! [Re: rockchucker22]
bamudd Offline

Can you not make an enclosed one with fewer holes, for less heat?

#182634 - 02/09/14 10:57 AM Re: Stoves! [Re: bamudd]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By bamudd
Can you not make an enclosed one with fewer holes, for less heat?
they don't quite work like that. It takes a certain amount of heat to vaporize the alcohol in order for the jets to work. Play around with it, they are cheap and easy to make. There are people making alcohol stoves with simmer rings that kind of allow you to simmer. I've made dozens of these stoves and love yo mess around with them, but for simmering a valved stove works much better.

#182635 - 02/09/14 11:03 AM Re: Stoves! [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Ah but Mr. Chuckler, :), they make a few simmer rings for a few stoves now, but then a new system may be needed. Starlyte and modified Starlyte stoves I believe both, can use a simmer ring and the Trail Designs 12-10 stove can be used with a simmer ring, but would need a good wind screen or in the case of the 12-10, the Caldera Cone. Even Esbit type fuels can be throttled down to run an hour instead of 15 minutes, simmering well enough to bake, like a muffin. Check out Flat Cat Stoves. I was given a simmer ring (carbon felt) for the two second quality Starlyte stoves I got at Henry Coe SP a few weeks ago on a large group trip.
Duane

Edited by hikerduane (02/09/14 11:07 AM)

#182636 - 02/09/14 11:08 AM Re: Stoves! [Re: hikerduane]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Just drop the Starlyte into a FF cat food can and it will instantly be in simmer mode.

#182637 - 02/09/14 11:23 AM Re: Stoves! [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Zelph's.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php
Jon at Flat Cat Gear.
For baking with Esbit, yu'll need two pots.
http://flatcatgear.com/
Rand and Lee at Trail Designs.
http://www.traildesigns.com/
I met Jon and Lee at the gathering at Henry Coe SP a few weeks ago. Jon was very popular with his non-stop cooking. Brownies, a cheeseburger even.
Duane

#182644 - 02/09/14 01:26 PM Re: Stoves! [Re: hikerduane]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but if you want to really geek out on stoves, zenstoves.net is the place to go.

#182645 - 02/09/14 01:28 PM Re: Stoves! [Re: billstephenson]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"That must be one of the leaps you have to be able to make to be a thru-hiker. After a week or two I'm afraid I'd be getting a bit wild eyed. Maybe not though. I don't eat a lot as it is, so I might do better than I'd imagine."

Most thru-hikers do bring a stove, most typically some sort of alcohol stove.

OTOH, you might indeed do better than you would imagine without one. With apologies for the bad pun, what it "boils down to" is whatever feels right for you for a particular trip.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum