Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182171 - 01/21/14 03:41 PM Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth
Epos7 Offline

I have owned a REI quarter dome T2 for about three years. In that time it has seen light use and remains in good shape. Whenever I have taken it backpacking, I have found that once I set it up it doesn't sit level - it rocks back and forth on two of the poles that are diagonally across from each other. I had always chalked that up to setting it up on ground that was not perfectly level, but yesterday I set it up in my living room to clean it up, and found that even on a level surface, the tent doesn't sit flat.

If you are familiar with the Quarter Dome, it has one long white pole that reaches two corners diagonally across, and two shorter red poles that are permanently attached to this white pole. They each span to a single corner. What I am finding is that either the white pole is too long, or the tension on the poles in general is not quite right. The two corners of the white pole are firmly planted on the ground, but of the two red poles, only one of them can touch the ground at a time. The result is that the tent rocks back and forth. There is probably a couple inches of clearance under whichever end isn't contacting the ground.

Is this normal with the Quarter Dome or tents in general? It doesn't seem like it should be. I contacted REI and they said to bring the tent in so they can take a look at it, but I don't want to waste their time if this isn't unusual.

Thanks for any input,
Josh

#182173 - 01/21/14 03:53 PM Re: Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth [Re: Epos7]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I don't have a quarter dome, so I can't comment directly, but all of these free standing tents do need to be staked out. I am wondering if the tent is designed to sit flat when staked out (ie pull out the main legs when you stake and pull down the side legs.) Do you get pretty good tension on the fly as you stake it down?

Just my thought.....

#182175 - 01/21/14 04:16 PM Re: Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth [Re: BZH]
Epos7 Offline

The fly does create some tension on the tent, I don't remember if there was still movement last time I had the fly set up. During the summer I like to use it without the fly just to keep the bugs out but maybe the tent is only intended to be used with the fly.

#182176 - 01/21/14 08:36 PM Re: Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth [Re: Epos7]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm taking this as a cry for buying a new power tool.

Anyhoo, if the poles are all the way in their sleeves and anchors, and the pole segments are fully seated (not binding at the joints--look for grit or dents or...) then there's something wonky with the fabric panels, or some other concealed damage.

It would make for an interesting conversation at the REI customer service counter.

#182182 - 01/21/14 11:34 PM Re: Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth [Re: Rick_D]
Epos7 Offline

Must be something wrong with the panels. REI confirmed that it should work just fine without the fly, and the poles are just fine, so I'm planning on bringing it in to a store next week.

Thanks for the input.

Josh

#182463 - 02/03/14 05:20 PM Re: Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth [Re: Epos7]
Epos7 Offline

Well, I took the tent in to REI, and they told me that it's normal for the tent to do this. Completely the opposite of what their email support told me, but what can you do. They did offer to give me store credit for the purchase price of the tent, but since the new model is $100 more than what I paid, it would have cost me that much to exchange the tent. I decided to keep it and just deal with the wonkiness.

#182464 - 02/03/14 05:27 PM Re: Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth [Re: Epos7]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Can you post a picture of the issue?

#182515 - 02/05/14 02:59 PM Re: Tent doesn't sit level, Rocks back and forth [Re: rockchucker22]
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I have 2 of the quarterdome T2 plus tents. Both of mine rock ever so slightly when empty. When I put my pad and sleeping bag in them they don't rock anymore. I have never thought it was much of an issue.

Edited by Dave H (02/05/14 02:59 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum