Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182127 - 01/18/14 10:56 PM Looking for a carry on hiking backpack
Niivekx Offline

Hi, im new here. My fiancee and I are going to be hiking in Yellowstone this july and we dont want check any bags in the airport because we are traveling from Puerto Rico and we will make a few stops, last month I traveled to NYC non stop and the airline sent my bag on a diferent flight and I dont want that to happen here. So thats why im looking for a hiking backpack that I can take in the plane with me as a carry on, also I want to take it with me while I hike yellowstone so it would be great if it had the rain cover just in case. The carry on size limit on most airlines is 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm

#182128 - 01/19/14 01:33 AM Re: Looking for a carry on hiking backpack [Re: Niivekx]
jimmyb Offline

Not sure if your looking for a day pack or a something for multiple overnight use. We have been flying off to the NP's for years now and have had a few 40 liter sized packs. They fit well inside the overhead storage bins. We have Deuter act lite 40+10's that will work if not using the expansion sleeve.
The size listed by the airlines is very accurate for carry on luggage. We will day hike with the packs as well as use them for carry on's because we don't want to bother with another pack. We usually take a few more items on a hike in territory like Yellowstone than for local area hiking. We were hammered by a thunderstorm passing directly overhead last time there and were glad to have full set of rain gear. That was one I will never forget. Make sure you buy your Bear spray and have a wonderful time. Yellowstone is our favorite, you will love it.

jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (01/19/14 01:38 AM)

#182134 - 01/19/14 10:05 AM Re: Looking for a carry on hiking backpack [Re: jimmyb]
bamudd Offline

Keep in mind, the other thing you can do is not put as much in a larger backpack and take a small suitcase as your second carry on. I've carried on my Baltoro 75 before, tied down to be smaller than my 40. I'm in the market for a new (lighter) backpack right now, have a look at my thread about them right right below this one. There have been some pretty good suggestions.

#182190 - 01/22/14 05:18 PM Re: Looking for a carry on hiking backpack [Re: Niivekx]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Pretty easy to find a liteweight backpack that will fit in the overhead compartment. Many of the ULA packs, the Six Moon Designs Swift, even older Mountainsmith Ghosts fit in the overhead. Check the ULA website and they should have the dimensions. Problem is, can you fit all your gear in a carry-on pack?

#182193 - 01/22/14 07:39 PM Re: Looking for a carry on hiking backpack [Re: Niivekx]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
A pack by Z-Pack will certainly fit. You have to have your contents down to an appropriate level, though. Also, there could be other issues besides size: Sharp items (tent stakes?) and burnables (fuel, matches?) may not be welcome onboard.

#182390 - 01/30/14 11:31 PM Re: Looking for a carry on hiking backpack [Re: Niivekx]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
If you're close to ultralight (<10 lbs base weight) pretty much anything should work. I've carried on a large Golite Pinnacle with a week's worth of food (my base was almost 12 lbs). It could fit in some overheads (ie, 737) that way but not others (little regional planes) so I stuffed it under the seat. Had my one change of clothes in my laptop bag that I left in a locker at my destination.

Forgot to mention no need for a rain cover. Put your critical items (sleeping bag and sleep/puffy clothes) in trash compactor bag and other items you need to reach easily (eg, electronics) in ziploc.

Edited by topshot (01/30/14 11:39 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum