Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181478 - 12/25/13 09:50 PM Wide synthetic bag options?
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
My niece needs a bag for camping for college geology class trips. She is going to Wisconsin in March and South Dakota/Yellowstone in May. She thinks a 20 degree bag would be about right. This is not for backpacking, so weight and size are not really a concern. I bought the REI Lyra, but it is too snug on her. She probably needs a bag with a girth of 65 inches or more, and she is 5'5.5" tall.

Any recommendations? Most of the women's bags look too narrow. Most of the "20 degree" bags I've seen do not look like they have near enough loft to be warm at that temperature. She also told me that she can't sleep when she's hot, so I don't want to go too low with the temperature rating either. Price was somewhat of a consideration, but at this point I need to spend enough to get something that will work.

#181479 - 12/25/13 09:54 PM Re: Wide synthetic bag options? [Re: Slowfoot]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Mountain hardware ultra lamina is a good mid priced sleeping bag that could be used for all kinds of camping, car, backpacking.... Pretty roomy and warm to the specified temps.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/ultralamina-15-regular-OU8490.html

#181485 - 12/26/13 05:39 AM Re: Wide synthetic bag options? [Re: Slowfoot]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
The North Face Goliath is a wide bag, but I don't know that it comes in anything other than a zero degree rating. Kifaru makes a variety of bags with width and length options although I've never actually seen one. It's one of my wish-for items.

But if there is no backpacking and size and overheating are issues, I would suggest going to a department store and getting two inexpensive rectangular sleeping bags. This will allow either one or two bags to be used depending on temperature, will be wider, and probably even less expensive. One can be zipped up and the other used as a quilt over top that is easily removed if it gets too hot. The only real downside might be bulk and weight.

#181492 - 12/26/13 12:51 PM Re: Wide synthetic bag options? [Re: Slowfoot]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You could get something in a rectangular cut. Have her unzip the top part and use it as a quilt (zipper down). Need more cooling keep unzipping. Maybe this?: http://www.rei.com/product/846256/rei-siesta-25-sleeping-bag ... though its only rated to 25°F

Sounds an awful lot like a quilt.... you could get her a quilt! Enlightened Equipment has a 20°F rated short-wide prodigy-X quilt for $185: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/?product=prodigyx-20-2

#182232 - 01/24/14 03:34 PM Re: Wide synthetic bag options? [Re: Slowfoot]
xdoomriderx Offline

Loc: NJ
Big Agnes' Hog Park bag is a pretty wide and long synthetic. I think it's rated down to 20 degrees. I used to own one and had a ton of room to move around. I'm not sure if it would be too wide for a female, but it's not terribly expensive and is a pretty solid bag.

#182339 - 01/28/14 03:09 PM Re: Wide synthetic bag options? [Re: xdoomriderx]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
Thanks for all the suggestions. The MH Ultralamina didn't appear wide enough according to the published dimensions. Most of the Big Agnes bags don't have any fill on the bottom, and I wasn't sure that would work for her.

I tried Bass Pro and Cabela's. All the bags at Bass Pro looked about 9 feet long. I did find a "0 degree" bag at Cabela's that I thought would work, but the one I bought never fluffed up nearly as much as the one hanging in the store after 2 weeks, so I returned it.

I finally went with the Marmot Rockaway 0. She hasn't been able to try it out yet, but I'm hoping it's wide enough. The tag says it is EN rated for 20F and it looks lofty enough to actually be true.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum