Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182057 - 01/17/14 01:25 PM Drought-what is your back up stove?
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
With the increased interest and testing of alcohol and Esbit type stoves, many design changes have been made, making these more attractive than ever. What is your backup stove or what you are hearing as the next go to stove under fire restrictions? Many jurisdictions do not allow a stove to be used that cannot be shut off, not just by covering up or throwing dirt or water on it.
Duane

#182058 - 01/17/14 01:52 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I have a tiny Ti ISO/butane stove that I bought 10 years ago that weighs maybe 2 oz. it is a brand that went out of business maybe 8 years ago. It works great and is pretty efficient with a windscreen. I'll dig it out and take a picture, I'm pretty sure there is no name on it and I can't remember what it is.

#182064 - 01/17/14 03:39 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: rockchucker22]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My Primus Micron Ti stove weighs 2.5 oz. That's my primary stove. Like others of my beloved gear items, it has since been discontinued. I have an alcohol stove, but somehow when it's time to pack for a trip I always bring the canister stove. For a longer trip, stove + fuel weight is less than alcohol--last time I calculated, the cutoff was about 7 days.

The way things are going, even canister stoves may be banned by late summer, or the forests may even be closed. Unless we get more snow, I plan to get my trips in early this coming summer. Of course there have been years (like the last two) in which the serious "winter" snow accumulation didn't really start until March. There's still hope!

California, though--I really feel for you folks down there. The hills around Petaluma, where my daughter lives, are normally green this time of year. This year they aren't even brown; they're gray!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/17/14 03:39 PM)

#182066 - 01/17/14 03:57 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Tyson, OM, I have a few canister stoves of course in my arsenal. smile Maybe bring the GigaPower. In the past here on the Plumas NF, everything was banned except for campgrounds. Except for maybe feeling like I have a bug coming on, I try to get out most weekends. I'll be stocked up on trips.
Duane

#182067 - 01/17/14 03:59 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I just have the usual boring pocket rocket and whisperlight. But if things get real bad, maybe I'll cough up for a parabolic solar cooker. wink

#182082 - 01/17/14 10:00 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

The guys I bp with here in CA are all in for a 11 item trip. Good time to go stoveless.
Duane

#182085 - 01/17/14 10:46 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: hikerduane]
bluefish Offline

I can easily get by with tuna and chicken packets with flat bread, olive oil and mayonnaise with some onion and spices. Mix instant coffee in with some Nido and chocolate drink (must have caffeine!) Jerky and the usual nuts and bars. We went with a friend in the Sierra in Sept. that went stoveless. I brought my MSR Micro-Rocket (2.6 oz.), but we can do without. The look of this coming fire season, which already is starting!!!!!!!!!!!, is very frightening. Here in Vt. I can have bonfires safely. I never do ,though.

Edited by bluefish (01/17/14 10:48 PM)

#182089 - 01/17/14 11:18 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

It says "Titan" on the stove wings. I took off the igniter some time ago. It weighs 3 oz as it is now. Any idea of what it is? Vaude maybe? I've had it for about 10 years.

#182093 - 01/18/14 12:35 AM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Markill? Titanium?
Duane

#182095 - 01/18/14 10:06 AM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

It's Titainuim and Hiking Jim has a picture of an identical one on his website.

#182096 - 01/18/14 10:15 AM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: hikerduane]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
An excellent year for a lot of people to try going stoveless.

For short-to-intermediate trips I prefer that now anyway. Sometimes on longer trips it's nice to have a little more food variety, to get some foods from small resupply venues that require cooking, but even there one can generally make do with some creativity.

#182099 - 01/18/14 12:39 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: BrianLe]
bluefish Offline

Packit Gourmet has some dehydrated items that require only cold water rehydration. I've tried one of the chicken salads, the roast beef, and hamburger wrap. I'd eat any of them again with no hesitation.

#182103 - 01/18/14 02:05 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: bluefish]
rockchucker22 Offline

Good point, I always presoak my dehydrated meals to help conserve fuel. I'm betting most dehydrated meals could be served cold, kind of like left overs!

#182105 - 01/18/14 02:21 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Leftovers? I'm single, nothing gets left, maybe thrown out after getting stuffed. smile I've moved on to single serving freeze dried stuff for vacations as I can't eat the two serving packages anymore, supplemented with cheaper stuff like ramen or dried soup mix from the food co-op to cut dinner food costs on longer trips. Weekends, I'll bring something besides freeze dried food, something where I can use one of my vintage stoves for a bit to cook longer.
Duane

#182131 - 01/19/14 02:25 AM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
OM, the weather here is hot and dry. Very little snowpack. A big fire down here was started by hikers with a campfire, which was banned at the time, so they have been tracked down and arrested. Hiking in these conditions is problematic due to the fire risk.

#182135 - 01/19/14 11:54 AM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

I was car camping a few weekends ago, some snow, but none on my picnic table in the CG, had a campfire that night in the metal enclosed pit. Sparks still popped out and landed beyond the required clearance around the fire if I was out of a CG. The cinders still stayed alive for awhile after landing on the frozen ground. Hate to think of people who have no idea on clearances around a fire and so many fail to put the fire out properly too.
Duane

#182137 - 01/19/14 01:22 PM Re: Drought-what is your back up stove? [Re: BrianLe]
bobito9 Offline

Stove-less is a drag in my mind, but this may be the summer for it. I'm not really sure how to get the proper feeling of satisfaction without hot food once a day, but I can get used to it, I suppose.
For breakfast, I guess I'll be popping no-doze :), but I'm embarrassed to admit I had to do that on a backpacking trip last fall simply because I forgot my coffee. Another thing I've done, which I actually like quite a bit is to make sun-tea. Actually, if you just put a teabag or two in your water bottle before bed and keep the bottle in your sleeping bag, you get a pretty good tea for breakfast.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum