Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181835 - 01/12/14 11:10 PM 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond
HIKEtube Offline

What do you guys think? Did we make a pretty good list? What else do you recommend? Let us know!!

Edited by Glenn Roberts (09/10/18 08:31 AM)
Edit Reason: Remove commercial link

#181840 - 01/13/14 10:44 AM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: HIKEtube]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Nice list but quite a few redundant items. Could you post the weight of your gear individually and total carry weight?

#181841 - 01/13/14 11:01 AM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: HIKEtube]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I want to do a trip where you are limited to "X" amount of items. Some here in Kalifornia did that last summer, limited to 7 items I think.
Duane

#181843 - 01/13/14 12:41 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Now that would be interesting, does the 7 items include worn clothes?

#181844 - 01/13/14 01:24 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Tyson, I can't recall the full description as they went when I had just been there recently (Kennedy Meadows/Sonora Pass), so I passed on that trip. I'll have to look back at that and ask the organizer.
Duane

#181845 - 01/13/14 02:26 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Wow, 7 items. If I could backpack nekked, I think I could pull that off. Not too sure anybody else would want to go with me though eek

#181846 - 01/13/14 02:27 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: HIKEtube]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Sorry HIKEtube, but this list is kinda funny. Waaaaaaay too generic a list and very hard to take it serious. For instance, although the bear spray may be an important item to bring in certain areas, Hawaii is not one of them. Leave the bear spray at home and instead bring mask, fins, and snorkel maybe. Or replace it with money for shave ice wink . So one suggestion is to be more area or region specific. Bungee cordes? I suppose......but a camping essential? I suppose you could use it to strap your boom box to the backpack. As previously mentioned, it sounds like you carrying a lot of unnecessary weight but you are not bringing a camera to record the adventure?

#181850 - 01/13/14 03:13 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: HIKEtube]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I looked through your list. I'm sorry, but I don't find it a good one. I did not find one single item that I would ever take on a backpacking trip here in the Pacific Northwest, home of the extra-tropical rain forest, where in the shoulder seasons it can be just as wet as the tropics, although far colder.

I did find a lot of very heavy gear choices where a lighter (and no more expensive) choice would function as well. There are also a lot of unnecessary duplications. (Example: full tent plus hammock plus tarp plus ground-sleeping bug net--why three different shelters?) The total gear on your list would add up to an extremely heavy pack that I, for one, couldn't manage to drag, much less carry, across the parking lot from my vehicle to the start of the trail!

Take a look at the 27 lb, 7-day gear list on the home page of this site, left-hand column. It was designed for the northern Cascades in 3 seasons. I used this list as the model for my own and my gear has been in use for a number of years, including in several days of continuous heavy rain and in temps down to 15*F. A number of my brand/model choices for individual items are not the same (some are lighter and some are heavier), but generically the individual items are the same and my total pack weight is a couple of pounds less. This gear has kept me warm and dry and comfortable for a number of years now through everything the PNW climate can throw at me.

You really need to weigh the individual items in your list and add up the total. You may find it an eye-opener! While weight certainly isn't everything, a lighter pack is far more comfortable and far more fun!

Now that I look at your post again, especially since you made it in the "Off Topic" section, was it perhaps intended as a joke?

Edited by OregonMouse (01/13/14 03:33 PM)

#181852 - 01/13/14 03:51 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

Tyson, 11 items, 6 lb pack weight for personal items. I sent an email to the trip organizer for that trip.
Duane

#181853 - 01/13/14 04:10 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

11 items, I'm real curious about this, sounds like a fun challenge. Maybe we should start a new thread so we don't hijack this thread any further.

#181857 - 01/13/14 07:08 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

k

#181864 - 01/13/14 09:13 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Multiple knives, unneeded multi pot cook kit, headlamps, steel trowel, too heavy a tent?, etc. Maybe this stuff is for canoeists?
Duane

#201675 - 09/09/18 11:14 PM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: HIKEtube]
wildnfree Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
It seems like your URL no longer works...

#201677 - 09/10/18 08:33 AM Re: 41 Camping Essentials for Hawaii and Beyond [Re: wildnfree]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Thanks for the heads-up. I checked it, and it linked to a cable TV website now - so I removed the link.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum