Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181732 - 01/07/14 12:24 AM Post Herniated Disc's
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Last August all of my plans came to an end when I ended up with herniated discs and had to have 3 discs in my neck repaired with screws and plates.

I have had a 5lb. lifting limit since then, but go to the Doc's, on the 15th of this month to see if that will finally be lifted. It's been a long, boring wait, but I'm hoping it's a go.

I'm sure I'll have to do some physical rehab, they already mentioned that, but I don't think it'll be anything really rough, although I've gained quite a bit of weight from mostly sitting, or a little walking since the surgery, that I'll need to work on.

The question I have is, have any of you had this type of surgery, and if so, can you give me some feedback as far as how much rehab you needed to carry a pack, what kind, how long, etc.

I understand that each case is individual, but your replies might give me a rough idea of what I can expect for this year.

Thanks Ahead
J.

#181734 - 01/07/14 10:32 AM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]
lori Offline

Well, I have a friend who had multiple fusions in his back who asked me how he should go about backpacking. After looking at all the options he decided to get some goats. He can't carry weight on his back at all and can hardly hike with a day pack.

The options I presented to him were the Dixon roller pack, pack animals, etc. There are places that rent pack animals to try them on for size or as an interim plan while working up to carrying a backpack again.

The Dixon roller pack is a weird looking contraption found at dixonrollerpack.com.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#181737 - 01/07/14 12:27 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
My neighbor made a roller pack. It worked better than I'd have thought. I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as an option.

"You want to go where?"

#181742 - 01/07/14 01:24 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Sorry to hear J. My dad is going through a similar experience. It does sound like its time to look into some pack animals as Lori suggests. If I remember correctly, you seemed to like the company of animals (your border collie?) and this might be a good fit for you. Also, you might need a particular sleeping setup to be comfortable and get a decent nights sleep for instance, and your new friend(s) could carry it.

#181750 - 01/07/14 10:16 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: skcreidc]
jbylake Offline

No, don't have a Border Collie (spell?). I don't think that I'm going to be that drastic, that I'll never be able to carry a pack again, but this is something that I'll be discussing with the Doc, on the 15th. I'm really not sure of the level of intensity that the physical therapy will be either, I'll have to get a "go" this time to even start that though. I've got some bone screws and such from the military, and have had the resultant multiple knee surgeries, staving off a knee replacement until as late in life as possible. I just work through that pain, but, as you know the neck isn't something I want to play "macho" guy with, if you get my drift. I'm not suffering any real pain now, just constant nagging discomfort, but if I forget and try to lift something heavy, it let's me know pretty quickly.

I'm not ready to retire from back packing, but willing to do some short, say 3 day, 5mi a day gentle terrain stuff. Enough to stay out over night along a lake shore, with absolutely the minimum for gear, and not having to pack any substantial amount of water. (filter it out of the lake).

I've got some ultra light of everything, except for a UL pack itself, so I could snag one over in Cincy at REI.

I'm not sure if a "solo" trip would be a good idea, but I might be able to work something out with a friend, for a two person trip.

Oh well, post getting long. I just thought I could get some info from folks who've seen this. Although greatly appreciated, the responses are a little scary, if not disheartening.

Thanks,
J.

#181754 - 01/07/14 11:04 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I can't help with your problem, although I do know that it's important to build up muscle to support the joints, spine, etc. once the doc gives you the clearance.

I do want to wish you well and sincerely hope that things will work out for you! Please keep us posted!

#181755 - 01/07/14 11:17 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: OregonMouse]
jbylake Offline

Thanks OM.
I've been running since the day I was born and my feet hit the ground. If I have to stop Backpacking, riding my Harley, etc..etc.. I fear my journey downhill will be greatly accelerated, if you know what I mean.

Oh well, I'm not giving up yet.

Thanks again,
J.

Edited by jbylake (01/07/14 11:18 PM)

#181756 - 01/07/14 11:23 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]
lori Offline

I think it's jumping the gun to feel like it's impossible - I was offering options that could be temporary while you work back up to carrying the pack. My friend had a horse buck him off - after a previous back surgery. He failed to listen to the doctor about not riding horses, and tried to ride a green broke horse into the bargain. HIs problems are in the lower back.

I think everyone is different - and if the doc thinks it's possible to backpack again, listen to the guy with the degree and the experience who's looking at you in person, not people on the internet and their anecdotes.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#181757 - 01/07/14 11:25 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
All I can offer is my support, take care of yourself and heal quickly my friend!

#181758 - 01/07/14 11:48 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: lori]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By lori
I think it's jumping the gun to feel like it's impossible - I was offering options that could be temporary while you work back up to carrying the pack. My friend had a horse buck him off - after a previous back surgery. He failed to listen to the doctor about not riding horses, and tried to ride a green broke horse into the bargain. HIs problems are in the lower back.

I think everyone is different - and if the doc thinks it's possible to backpack again, listen to the guy with the degree and the experience who's looking at you in person, not people on the internet and their anecdotes.

Lori, thanks for the input. I'm not just listening to anecdotes, thus the every 30 day visit to the Doc's office, hopefully, with the 15th Jan being the big one, with good news, hopefully.
However, what you can pick up from anecdotal stories, is some of the suggestions that I've already heard, suggestions like the rolling pack, maybe a pack animal (not really much of that around here), and other such things. The Doc can make the medical decisions, but someone else might come up with a suggestion that facilitates things, if that makes sense.

Thanks,
J.

#181760 - 01/08/14 09:49 AM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]
skcreidc Offline

I wish you the best, J...for good news on your next Dr. visit.

#181771 - 01/08/14 02:33 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]

The rolling pack is illegal in designated wilderness areas, which may or may not be a problem for you.

While, as mentioned, I don't have your problem, I've had problems with lower back muscle spasms (which come back every time I neglect the exercises) and a knee that had to have nearly all the tendons reconstructed after a skiing injury (ditto), so being faithful to the exercises I was given for physical therapy and, especially, keeping my pack really light have been the key.

#181778 - 01/08/14 07:53 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jbylake]
jimmyb Offline

I also cannot offer any help with this specific problem but would like to add my offerings of good health to you in days to come. I have been knocked around a good part of my life and still seem to bounce back regardless of what others predictions were for me. Proper recovery time is a must. I have seen folks too anxious to do to much to soon but a slower and measured recovery can leave you pretty darn capable. Keep up you good spirits and remember a bit of stubborn will is a good thing. smile

jimmyb

#181805 - 01/10/14 01:31 AM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: jimmyb]
jbylake Offline

Thank you all for the suggestions, and kind thoughts and moral support. I think I'll be fine, we'll see. I guess things just aren't going as fast as I'd like and I just might have to face the fact that I may have to wait another 6 mos. to a year.

Thanks again,

J.

#181964 - 01/15/14 06:57 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: jbylake]
jbylake Offline

Good news from the Dr. today. If I start slow, with rehab, I should be able to carry a reasonable pack by early August, which puts me right in the middle of the hot, swamp like humidity, insect infested including tics, mosquitos and chiggers, angry snakes, time of year in our beautiful state.

I'll take it!!!

J. smile

#181965 - 01/15/14 07:08 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: jbylake]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
That's great news! Heal quickly.

#181974 - 01/15/14 10:24 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: rockchucker22]

Hooray! I hope your rehab goes well--it does require a lot of dedication (been there, done that, although different injury). You'll be able to start slow with short trips and be in good shape by October when your weather should be considerably improved!

#181978 - 01/15/14 11:09 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: OregonMouse]
jimmyb Offline

Glad to hear your going to be OK. Doc's are pretty conservative so it sounds like you'll be good to go. grin

jimmyb

#181993 - 01/16/14 12:35 AM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: jimmyb]
jbylake Offline

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts both prior and post doctors visit. I'm actually even better off than I thought, the Doc doesn't need to see me again, I've just got to see the rehab people to get a training regiment going. Being retired military, I thought I could handle that on my own, but I guess, from talking to them, they have more specialized exercises than what I was thinking.

Yes September and October are usually great around here, especially in the southern part of the state. I know some fairly decent 2 or 3 day trips that I can do, that are actually not too physically demanding, people take their kids, so, I'll probably stick to that, this year. And maybe even a little car camping to test gear, and just relax in the late evening breeze, with a bottle (well hid of course) of good wine.

I'm just stoked that it's not over yet, for me. laugh

Thanks again,

J.

Edited by jbylake (01/16/14 12:38 AM)

#182070 - 01/17/14 04:12 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: jbylake]
skcreidc Offline

Stoked for you J!! Actually having someone show you the correct positioning, and helping to motivate, really helps with progress and minimize backsliding. That's from my personal experience of course... Good to hear things are positive for a fellow (ok, I got the dog thing wrong but I think I'm in the ball park on this one) 57 year old.

#182164 - 01/21/14 01:07 AM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: skcreidc]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By skcreidc
Stoked for you J!! Actually having someone show you the correct positioning, and helping to motivate, really helps with progress and minimize backsliding. That's from my personal experience of course... Good to hear things are positive for a fellow (ok, I got the dog thing wrong but I think I'm in the ball park on this one) 57 year old.

thanks but it's 56....don't add anymore than you have too!
laugh J.

#182346 - 01/28/14 07:52 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
The rolling pack is illegal in designated wilderness areas, which may or may not be a problem for you.

Really? I'll assume it's because it has a wheel, but where can I find a reference to that?

I've locked horns with gov agencies several times over the trail erosion excuse to limit access. At Malibu Creek State Park I was told that horses didn't cause as much erosion as my mountain bike because they "Terraced" the trail as they walked (I've studied a lot of trails since and never have I seen any evidence of that) and my bike, I was told, would cut a rut in those terraced steps which would increase erosion.

While backpacking in a wilderness area last Sunday I was on a trail that's used by both a lot of hikers and horsemen and the trail is over 20" deep in a lot of places and just strewn with rocks (and there's no evidence of being terraced by horses here either). There's just no way one of those rolling packs could really impact a trail much, or off trail for that matter. At least not around here.

The truth is, trails cause erosion. I have found evidence of that almost everywhere I've went. I don't say that because I'm anti-trail, I say it because it's a fact.

"You want to go where?"

#182347 - 01/28/14 08:03 PM Re: Post Herniated Disc's UPDATE [Re: jbylake]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By jbylake
Good news from the Dr. today. If I start slow, with rehab, I should be able to carry a reasonable pack by early August, which puts me right in the middle of the hot, swamp like humidity, insect infested including tics, mosquitos and chiggers, angry snakes, time of year in our beautiful state.

I'll take it!!!

J. smile

Okay, I had to reread the thread in order to catch up.

That's Great News!!

goodjob

Hey, this means you can be full on ready for the Autumn backpacking season. I worked with lots of folks who were just out of rehab and those who got with it improved way past rehab so you've got a lot to look forward to.

"You want to go where?"

#182575 - 02/07/14 06:30 PM Encouragement [Re: jbylake]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
J.,

I can offer you some encouragement.

Several years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back...twice over a 3 month period.

Lotta pain. Couldn't walk more than a few feet.

I took a year off backpacking and did my physical therapy (pt) exercises as I was instructed.

I'm backpacking as much as I like now.

I use a frame pack that carries all the load on my hips, below the damaged disc.

I do the pt exercises daily and plan to do so for life. I'm 69.

I've also had some neck disc problems for 30+ years.

No surgeries so far.

I have had to learn how to move more carefully.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum