Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180358 - 10/23/13 09:30 AM Sleeping bag storage
MKenyon2 Offline

Loc: Cleona, PA, USA
So, I would like to store my sleeping bag in something like a gown storage bag, something to keep the bugs out of. Any ideas? If it's big enough, I'll lay my sleeping pad in there too. Of course, I'm not going to store it compressed. smile

#180359 - 10/23/13 09:43 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
lori Offline

I hang 'em or put them in big cotton bags.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180360 - 10/23/13 11:04 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: lori]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We store ours in large pillow cases

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#180361 - 10/23/13 01:18 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
jimmyb Offline

All our bags have come with oversized storage sacks. Our newest bags came with oversized mesh bags. We put them in a closet away from any UV light.

jimmyb

#180362 - 10/23/13 01:23 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
My Kelty came with a large storage bag and a compression sack. I use a very large trash bag that doesn't compress it at all.

"You want to go where?"

#180363 - 10/23/13 01:41 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My WM bag came with a large cotton storage bag. I fluff the sleeping bag up in the dryer for a few minutes and then store it in the cotton bag on the carpeted floor of the closet, making sure there's nothing to squash the bag. A closet shelf is also a possibility. In most closets, there's room to add a second shelf on top of the one above the clothes hanger bar.

Hanging is also good, but make sure the bag isn't being squashed by the clothes hanging next to it in the closet! Some sleeping bags have loops at the end to facilitate this.

On the floor under the bed (but inside something to keep the dust bunnies away) is also a possibility. If you have a cat, I'd strongly advise against this method!

It's important that the storage sack be breathable and that there be no compression of the sleeping bag insulation.

#180364 - 10/23/13 01:51 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
MKenyon2 Offline

Loc: Cleona, PA, USA
So, if the bag didn't come with a storage bag, where can I get one? What could I use? Somebody said trash bag? So, is folding it okay?

How about the self-inflating pad? How can I store that?

#180365 - 10/23/13 02:19 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
jimmyb Offline

I don't think I would store a sleeping bag in a trash bag. Unless you have some EXTREMELY damp conditions in your home and can guarantee the bag is completely moisture free and the trash bag will be sealed air tight. I would rather it be in a breathable bag. A trash bag will trap any moisture that may not have exited the bag before storage. Get a mesh or cotton bag from REI.

jimmyb

#180366 - 10/23/13 02:24 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
I use a cotton laundry bag for my sleeping bag that didn't come with a storage bag.

Self-inflating pads should be stored unrolled with the valve open. We put them on the bed in the spare bedroom, but under the bed or against a wall would work also.

#180367 - 10/23/13 02:30 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
jimmyb Offline

Oops, forgot about the pad. If its self inflating store it unrolled, self inflated with a few puffs of air in it so the foam will hold its shape. I just inquired from Thermarest about storing my Neo air xlight inflatable and was told its Ok to store rolled up with the valve open. I did not fold it to fit the stuff sack but rolled it full width and put the stuff sack over the end to keep it from unrolling. To much folding on the same lines or storing it that way will increase the deterioration of the fabric. I of course fold it for BPing.

jimmyb

#180370 - 10/23/13 07:18 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: jimmyb]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I leave my insulated inflatable pad rolled and stored in its compression sack.... All of my sleeping bags and quilt are in their oversize storage bag away from pets. I wanted to store them in long plastic containers to keep dust from going through mesh and settled in the bags.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/23/13 07:19 PM)

#180396 - 10/29/13 07:48 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If I've blown up my pad with lung power, there will be moisture inside the pad. To dry it out, I sit in front of an electric heater, get a plastic trash bag with a small hole put into one bottom corner, fasten that hole to the mat valve with a rubber band, and inflate the pad with warm dry air from the heater. I then squeeze all the air out and do this again a couple more times to dry the interior of the pad. I then store the pad under my bed, flat, with the valve open. You can also hang the pad in your closet with the valve open and at the bottom, a much better idea if there's a kitty in your household.

If you always inflate your pad with a plastic bag or the BA pump sack or an Instaflator or the Exped Schozzle, then you don't need to do the drying process I described above.

A king size cotton pillowcase may work for your sleeping bag unless it's a really long and wide or a cold-weather model.

You can buy cheap cotton muslin at any fabric store and sew a bag. My WM Ultralite (20*F) (size small) storage sack is made from a 40" x 40" rectangle of fabric (add an inch for seam allowance and 2 inches at the top to fold over for the drawstring casing). If it were a long size, or a 10*F bag, I'd make it a few inches longer. You can get cotton muslin in 44" widths. 1 1/4 yards will make you a bag that is 42" wide and 42" long, allowing 1" seam allowance and 2" foldover at the end for the drawstring casing. If you don't have access to a sewing machine, just do a running stitch by hand (about 10 stitches per inch), which will take you a couple of hours. It doesn't have to be a thing of beauty, just contain the sleeping bag and keep the dust off it.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/29/13 08:19 PM)

#180411 - 10/30/13 01:32 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: jimmyb]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
I don't think I would store a sleeping bag in a trash bag.

The plastic trash bag I use is big. Huge in comparison to regular bags, and I don't close it up, I leave the open end opened so it breathes plenty well.

"You want to go where?"

#180415 - 10/30/13 08:37 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: billstephenson]
jimmyb Offline

Well that would probably work well then. I imagined a plastic bag all cinched up and without any type of outlet to breath. Big bag better storage too. I stand corrected under those conditions. smile

jimmyb

#181540 - 12/30/13 12:16 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: MKenyon2]
Talthing Offline

I think the dry cleaning bags are great. Take something in to get dry cleaned and then use the plastic bag over your sleeping bag. Hang your bag upside down and the slit in the dry cleaning bag allows access to the hang tab on the footbox of the sleeping bag. If you want protection over the hood and opening, you can probably just safety pin a produce bag to the dry cleaning bag (fold the ends of both to toughen up where the two are pinned) I hang my bag upside down without anything over it and it's been fine (no bugs).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum