Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180909 - 11/21/13 07:05 PM The Battle of the Sleeping Bags...
Nemeczek Offline

Hey! So, I'm putting together a giant list of purchases to make. I get prodeals on companies like Mountain Hardwear, Arc'Teryx, MSR.. basically 50% (or more) savings on most top brands. I'm having trouble trying to decide on a sleeping bag. I get the deal on Mountain Hardwear, but not Feathered Friends, and this is what makes it hard to decide. This is what I'm looking at:

Mountain Hardwear Mtn Speed 32:
15.6oz
Good to 32F, has integral hood.
$480 (minus 50% = $240)

Feathered Friends Vireo UL
15.5oz
Bottom of the bag is good to 25F, and gradually up to 40F. Can use down jacket to make warmer. Probably packs smaller. Unfortunately is more expensive because I don't have a discount on it.
$330

I can't decide on what to get! I'll basically be using it for 3 seasons, and very possibly into the high 20's paired with a jacket. If you were me, what would you decide on? The Vireo UL seems like a better quality and more versatile bag, but it's also $100 more. Help!

#180911 - 11/21/13 07:19 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: Nemeczek]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Feathered friends are top notch bags, I would go that way, it will last a lifetime.

#180912 - 11/21/13 07:26 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: rockchucker22]
Nemeczek Offline

Thanks for the vote. What about going with the Mountain Hardwear bag, and adding lightweight down pants in shoulder seasons?

#180913 - 11/21/13 07:29 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: Nemeczek]
bluefish Offline

I looked at the Mountain Hardware and it only has a half zipper.
On nights in the mid-40's and above I open my bag all the way and use it as a quilt. The half zipper would make it work poorly for me.

#180914 - 11/21/13 07:42 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: bluefish]
Nemeczek Offline

I wasn't too concerned with the half-zipper. I'm okay with the weight savings and I only ever zip my sleeping bag down about 2-3 ft to get inside anyways. If I'm too hot I'll just crawl out sleep ontop of it.

Question: How warm is 150g of 850 fill down?
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/e...eping-bag-p1459

I'm also looking at this backless bag. Thoughts?

#180915 - 11/21/13 07:53 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: Nemeczek]
jimmyb Offline

Well I may or may not be of help here but I can at least tell you of my go around with sleeping bags when I had a similar decision as yours.

I posted here of a fantastic deal I was able to get on a set of 15 deg. bags that spec'd out quite nicely. All the good stuff, light weight DWR pertex outer, 800 fill dry down, very light and packable. Most every one here recommended WM bags and insisted that budget be damned get a GOOD bag despite the cost. It is the anchor piece of your gear they said so spend your money here first. Well long story short I was purchasing the "DEAL" with a money back guarantee so I gave them a try. They were OK at 39F but at 32F we put on all the clothes we had. Back they went and being the tight wad I am I shed a few tears as I wreaked my wallet buying 2 WM Versalites at almost twice what I paid for the others. First night out in the WM at 23F and I was VERY grin. No doubt IMO the bag will make its true rating and I would not consider myself a warm sleeper.

Also after talking with the good folks at WM it is clear that loft is King. There is no replacement for it as it is the key in how the insulation does its thing. Also the ability to move the insulation with continuous baffles is now IMO the only way to go. I can push that down to the top and my bag literally lofts beyond the 6 inch average advertised measured loft for that bag. I will stop short of telling you all the other things that make this bag an incredible piece of gear but I will say to heed the advise of those here or make sure you can return if not satisfied.

I always try to buy good equipment for any hobby or sport I am involved in so Im not sure why I thought I could get cheap on the one piece of equipment that would keep me comfortable and at worst alive but once again I learned you get what you pay for. Now your mileage may vary.

jimmyb

#180916 - 11/21/13 07:53 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: Nemeczek]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Boy, I didn't know Mt Hardwear made a bag that light, here I just bought a EE quilt at a pound, good to 30F.
Duane

#180917 - 11/21/13 08:36 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Boy, I didn't know Mt Hardwear made a bag that light, here I just bought a EE quilt at a pound, good to 30F.
Duane
did you get an enigma? I'm seriously looking at the 40* reg/wide 12.5 oz.

#180919 - 11/21/13 09:07 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: rockchucker22]
Nemeczek Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Duane

12.5oz? Okay I'm looking into this. Do you think you would supplement the temperature rating on this with added clothing throughout the year?

#180920 - 11/21/13 09:20 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: Nemeczek]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By Nemeczek
Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Duane

12.5oz? Okay I'm looking into this. Do you think you would supplement the temperature rating on this with added clothing throughout the year?
after taking my 20* EE quilt down to 12* I'm sure with some wool base layers you could take a 40* quilt down 5-10* lower.

#180921 - 11/21/13 09:23 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Yes, I picked up the 30F Enigma, do not need the water resistant down, but liked the weight.
Duane

#180922 - 11/21/13 09:39 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

What size? Did you already get it? How about a few pictures??

#180924 - 11/21/13 10:36 PM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

It took less than a week to receive, it was one of his ready to ship ones, black exterior and gray interior. I got Tim's long 6'5" length, he said the 5'11" would be short for my 6', got it in the regular width, I think, I'm 160lbs., I could have gone with the slim I think, not much difference in weight. Lots of material to tuck around me. The thing comes up to my eyebrows. His listed weights do not include the stuff sack or straps. Total is about 16.5 oz. This is for summer use, I guess I'll get a ZPacks 10F bag in the Spring. smile Wrong seasons. No pics.
Duane

#181539 - 12/30/13 12:00 AM Re: The Battle of the Sleeping Bags... [Re: Nemeczek]
Talthing Offline

I'm looking into the Feather Friends Hummingbird UL20 myself. I have the Mtn Hardware Ultralamina 15 and it works well (but at 2.8 lbs, it's a tad heavy) If you're using it in conjunction with a bivy...the double-zipper is great (makes getting in and out of it easier than a traditional zip bag). Mtn Hardware makes dependable stuff.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum