Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180092 - 10/06/13 11:05 AM Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Has anyone else noticed that sleeping bags seem to weigh more now that the EN ratings are in force/used more?

#180097 - 10/06/13 02:58 PM Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight [Re: Steadman]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Which confirms what I always suspected, that manufacturer ratings (particularly of lower-priced bags) are fictional. Exception--a few of the high-end bag manufacturers like Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends.

The EN13537 ratings aren't foolproof, but at least they are a bit more objective than manufacturer ratings. They also confirm that some of us need warmer bags, as witness the 9-10*F difference between the "comfort" and "lower limit" ratings.

Deciphering the EN13537 ratings.

#180107 - 10/06/13 09:11 PM Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight [Re: OregonMouse]
Steadman Offline

Eyeing the REI Sub Kilo 15 that's on sale for my 10 year old girl, and wavering on it. Kinda think I'll get a better sale in the spring.

#180109 - 10/06/13 09:34 PM Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight [Re: Steadman]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Hasn't REI discontinued the SubKilo? You might not want to wait too long!

#180110 - 10/06/13 10:48 PM Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight [Re: OregonMouse]
jimmyb Offline

It is deeply discounted in the Outlet and listed as a special buy, I don't know if that means its discontinued but I suspect so. I looked at it as well recently. If that's your bag, good advise to snag it up while its on sale.

FYI I just picked up a Mountain light 15 at EMS and hit it on a 2 day sale. Glad I didn't hesitate. We will see how it preforms this fall. Would have bought one of the left over 2012's but they only had longs and women's. If interested you can get the EMS 2012 long or women's 15 at $209 for a day or two more with the extra $50 off sale going on. I liked the idea of the dry down tech. for the humid weather hear in the East.

jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (10/06/13 11:09 PM)

#180118 - 10/07/13 08:07 PM Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight [Re: OregonMouse]
Steadman Offline

OM, I just bought the girl's version for my oldest, and explained to she and my older boy that it was shared gear, vice someone's in particular.

THANK YOU very much for the advice. I wasn't sure if I should avoid based on EN ratings. I rather figure it's a 20ish degree bag.

jimmy, I saw the deal at EMS and almost bought it. Sorry I held off now.

We'll see how the fall develops. Dividends come in March...

Edited by Steadman (10/07/13 08:08 PM)

#180129 - 10/07/13 10:17 PM Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight [Re: Steadman]
jimmyb Offline

Yes Steadman, we just got our bags today. They look very nice. I will hopefully give them a test run in the yard this week.

I received an email from Kansas university on the processes and procedures involved in their sleeping bag testing. EMS informed me that is where their independent thermal testing is done.

KSU offers the EN 13537 testing or any custom variation. I wish I knew what variation if any EMS uses to test their bags. It was interesting reading at the least.

jimmyb

#180817 - 11/17/13 03:31 AM Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight [Re: jimmyb]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
The EN ratings are relative and some manufacturers use the lower limit in their ads, which is really deceptive. My old MacPac bag, rated at -5C, is spot on for me and I sleep cold. I've seen some absolutely laughable claims (NOT EN) for alleged 20F bags at Wal-Mart for $40. Seriously?

I trust the more well-known brands to be more accurate even if not EN. (MacPac is originally a NZ brand, the company was sold a few years ago and the bags are now made in China. My bag is a NZ made down bag from the days before all that happened.)

Edited by TomD (11/17/13 03:35 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum