Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180416 - 10/30/13 09:06 PM NOT so light food but mmm mmm good!
jimmyb Offline

We snuck out again last weekend for a short overnight. Temps were good for a test of some new bags. On these short weekend trips we have been trying out some pre packaged dehydrated meals. Some not too bad some not so good like the beef stew this weekend. I will be asking a few questions of those who dry their own meals for advise in a little bit as I would rather eat home cooked food if possible.

Anyway, as I was walking out the door I grabbed a little pint sized home made apple pie I had made of left over dough and apples while baking pies last week. I stuffed it in my top pack pocket and trudged off. As the sun set that evening and the temp was getting cooler I lit the fire, made a few hot chocolates and then remembered my apple pie. Ahh, sooo good. grin It was a nice reward for choking down that funky stew. Good food just tastes even better in the outdoors .
Made my wife a happy camper too. goodjob

jimmyb

#180434 - 10/31/13 09:15 PM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: jimmyb]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I was just going to ask if you had been married long enough that you avoided the rookie mistake of not sharing! smile

#180435 - 10/31/13 11:20 PM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jimmyb Offline

Yes sir, Glenn, we're heading toward our Silver this May. That's plenty long enough to have learned a lesson or 50 along the way. grin She's a great lady and a pleasure to share with.

Rookies- heed Glenn's advise.

jimmyb

#180470 - 11/02/13 07:09 PM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: jimmyb]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Congrats and I'm jealous.

My hubby won't backpack, at least not so far. He had enough as a Scout Master, 25 or so years ago. At least he doesn't try to get in my way when I want to hit the trail. We've only been together for 43 years, maybe by 50 years, I will have talked him into accompanying me.

CM

#180472 - 11/02/13 11:03 PM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: CamperMom]
jimmyb Offline

goodjob 43 yrs. Well maybe I am just a rookie. Joking aside I applaud you CM for getting out there on your own. Of course your not alone. Many of the hobbies we share are solo efforts for many. Just turns out we share more interests than not. It was my wife that started me hiking years ago. Couldn't have cared less about it but now its one of the things that keeps me sane. Or at least I think so crazy

#180474 - 11/03/13 08:46 AM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: jimmyb]
CamperMom Offline

I found this on line. (Where else?)

The Americans for Divorce Reform estimates that probably, 40 or possibly even 50 percent of marriages will end in divorce if current trends continue.

Anyone who makes it 10 or maybe evn 5 years in one relationship is becoming a rarity.

CM

#180477 - 11/03/13 11:51 AM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: CamperMom]
jimmyb Offline

True. I can remember a few years back hearing that it was almost 50% and we added up the divorces in our extended families and it was very close to 50%.

Of course a lot of them were not very good at picking mates. It was not surprising that many ended because of alcohol abuse. Sad.

jimmyb

#180496 - 11/04/13 02:41 PM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: jimmyb]
CamperMom Offline

A hairdresser once said to me, "Men will cheat on you, drink on you, or beat on you."

I told her she wasn't meeting the right men. She may have been running with the same crowd as some of your relatives...

#204297 - 04/20/20 07:41 AM Re: NOT so light food but mmm mmm good! [Re: jimmyb]
haan9953 Offline

goodjob

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum