Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180232 - 10/15/13 05:16 AM Looking for an external battery?
jpms Offline

I am Planning a backpack trip with my wife. Now we need an external battery as we don't wanna miss contact with our friends?
I have looked around the (brand name removed). Has anyone tried this brand before?

Edited by aimless (10/16/13 04:33 PM)
Edit Reason: spam content removed

#180233 - 10/15/13 09:31 AM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: jpms]
lori Offline

Here's the thing: you may find some place to backpack where you have cell service. Maybe. But good luck with that.

I have an external battery - a Brunton - that I have used to charge my camera as well as my phone on a longer trip. But I use the Kindle app on the phone, and store a number of leisure reading books as well as a NOLS wilderness medicine book, and was at the time reviewing this GPS app on the phone so needed that to continue working. At no point did I even get reception on the phone. I've been in maybe two parks where there was half a bar on the phone - that wasn't even enough reception to call anyone.

In the past four years of search and rescue volunteering there has been one instance of someone being able to contact us by phone. They had injured a knee within a mile of the trailhead near a popular resort town on the shores of a popular lake. That was a total fluke of chance.

So before you base your purchase on the premise of calling all your friends from the trail, figure out if there's actually going to be cell service there so you aren't totally disappointed.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180237 - 10/15/13 01:06 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: jpms]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I don't get cell service in the Smoky or western North Carolina unless I'm on a bald mountain top and that can be very limited depending on which mountain I'm on. My whole point of getting out is to get away from people that annoy me every day. Text messages, phone calls, internet, etc., are the last things I want be wired into when I'm in the woods.. Just me. smile

If safety is your concern your best option is to leave an itinerary with someone and if you don't make contact, or if you're not off the trail by certain time have that person contact the ranger station to be on standby.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/15/13 01:07 PM)

#180238 - 10/15/13 01:28 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: jpms]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Go with Brunton, Bushnell or Solio.

Cheers,

#180240 - 10/15/13 03:24 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: Rick_D]
lori Offline

This guy has posted on a number of other forums and included links. Suspect this is merely spam.

#180241 - 10/15/13 03:36 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: jpms]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Out here in the Pacific NW, I usually lose cell phone reception well before even reaching the trailhead. Never rely on a cell phone for emergency communication!

Talking on a cell phone can be very distracting while you are trying to make your way over rough ground--as unsafe as using it while driving. And many people find it quite annoying to hear others constantly talking on their phones out on the trail (as happens here in the parts of the Columbia River Gorge close to trailheads--fortunately, once you get half a mile in, especially in deep canyons, reception is gone).

Like ETSU, I go out to get away from all that stuff.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/15/13 03:40 PM)

#180242 - 10/15/13 04:16 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: lori]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Was wondering that myself--1st post and asking about a product from some obscure company....

#180245 - 10/15/13 05:27 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
On the other hand, this poster does not at all fit the profile of the typical spammer. Believe me, we moderators know all about that! Let's give newbies the benefit of the doubt, please, and welcome them, not chase them off. If they turn out to be spammers, then just flag the offending post and let the mods deal with it.

He wouldn't be the first person who was given a brand name by someone or from the internet and is asking about it!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/15/13 05:35 PM)

#180247 - 10/15/13 05:59 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Maybe a better solution is to forget taking a battery, and take some of the friends instead?

#180249 - 10/15/13 06:20 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: ETSU Pride]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I bring my cell phone, but I keep it shut off, so the battery last for several days.

We get pretty good coverage in the Ozarks and I'm often surprised at where I can pick up a signal. I've watched the coverage increase a lot in the past 5-6 years. You can get a message out from just about any ridge top here now, the hollows are still pretty sketchy, but that's the nature of the beast.

Bringing a cell phone to add a margin of safety is, like so much other gear, is often a matter of location. It makes sense to bring one here. I'm never more than an hour or two hike from getting a signal, and generally much less.

No one will bother you on it if it's turned off. Works that way in the city too. wink

"You want to go where?"

#180252 - 10/15/13 09:28 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

On the other forums, it was pretty obvious and blatantly spam.

#180253 - 10/15/13 09:39 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Bill, that's how I operate, too. However, we do have a pocket of woods (not real backcountry, but there is some remote camping permitted) about 20 minutes away; sometimes I go there for a quick weekend - I'll turn the phone back on long enough in the evening to call my wife and tell her goodnight, then turn it off again. I think of the call as a no-additional-weight luxury (the phone goes with me for the same reason you carry yours.)

#180254 - 10/15/13 10:55 PM Re: Looking for an external battery? [Re: lori]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I checked the IP address from which this was posted and it does appear as if it originated on a dedicated spam server from a one-post newbie - although the server is in San Jose, not Pakistan or China as is so often the case lately.

However, the topic seems be of enough interest to the group that I think it's best to allow the conversation to continue, but with the brand name redacted in the original post.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum