Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180191 - 10/11/13 02:13 AM Ground cloth anyone?
jimmyb Offline

I have updated equipment and scrutinized every single piece of gear that I carry. Within reason about the only thing I can try putting on a diet right now is my ground cloth.

For years I have used a foil type emergency blanket cut to fit our various tents (getting smaller/lighter as time goes on) as a ground sheet. I acquired a piece of house Tyvek from my brother in law for $0 which I will cut to fit and see if there is any weight savings. I also understand Kite Tyvek is lighter and more soft of hand which may be a better way to go.

For those who use ground cloths for tents, tarps ect. I would appreciate any wisdom you could send my way. Also I was wondering if someone could tell me if the E-blanket could possibly be reflecting any radiant heat back at us as that may be somewhat useful information.

thanks, jimmyb

#180193 - 10/11/13 08:43 AM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: jimmyb]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I have a ground cloth for my tent. It weighs around 3-4oz. Reason I keep it in my pack is just to protect my tent floor which in theory should prolong the life of the tent. I just like to take good care of my equipments.

#180194 - 10/11/13 10:12 AM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: jimmyb]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I use a piece of kite Tyvek cut to 24" x 70" and use it under my tent floor where I sleep. The Tyvek weighs 1.5 oz and I use it mainly to protect the tent floor from sticks, stones and abrasion from my weight. I see no advantage to having a ground cloth cut to the tent footprint since damage to tent floors is largely confined to where body weight is located. I have never found a ground cloth useful in keeping the tent floor dry. YMMV.

#180195 - 10/11/13 10:31 AM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: jimmyb]
lori Offline

I've used polycryo, tyvek, and 2 mm painter's dropcloth (plastic) - all are lighter than the marketed floors they sell for tents. A friend uses the cloth they sell for weed block. Any cloth should be smaller than the tent floor to avoid pulling water under the floor.

I doubt the emergency blanket does anything to reflect heat - I doubt that in any circumstance. Read a study once done by the British military that indicated that a regular old trash bag does about the same as mylar - they are moisture barriers and partially block radiation as well. That's about all they do.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180196 - 10/11/13 10:57 AM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I've used polycryo for quite a few years now. Tough to lay down or fold up in the AM though, it's so light/lite. smile Since getting a TT Squall some years back too, I'm used to gathering small rocks to lay around the edges before setting up my shelter.
Duane
PS, my Squall is floorless, so my gc is my floor.

Edited by hikerduane (10/11/13 10:58 AM)

#180197 - 10/11/13 11:00 AM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: lori]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I'm with Lori---we've used 2mm painters' plastic, and now we are using version of Tyvek. Yeah, it keeps the tent clean and somewhat protected. It also seems to add just a tiny bit of both insulation and padding.

And we used it for our morning stretches as well!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#180199 - 10/11/13 12:07 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: balzaccom]
jimmyb Offline

WOW, thanks all. Such a great number of responses so quickly. Im thankful to have found a forum like this.

I too am using the ground cloth merely for protecting the bottom of the tent, cut to fit (1-2inches short of the borders) to prevent water being drawn below and because we are sleeping two so pressure can be exerted pretty much anywhere as we fill the floor area.

Now off to experiment with your suggestions.

thanks again, jimmyb

#180200 - 10/11/13 12:51 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: jimmyb]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I use a hunk of a Neatsheet, which is two layers of soft Tyvek-like material, such as used for disposable hazmat jumpsuits. It is not crinkly or slippery and is warm to the touch. I don't think it's necessarily waterproof but I have never had it wet through.

Use it for sleeping in floorless shelters, not as protection under a tent floor.

Cheers,

#180203 - 10/11/13 01:59 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't use a ground cloth with my tent. I haven't used one in many years, noticed no wear on the tent floor nor any moisture coming through. Even when I had an old SMD Lunar Solo with the lighter weight silnylon floor option, I had no issues.

I do check over my tent site to remove sticks and stones before setting up the tent. I'm also careful to avoid setting up my tent in areas which might flood in heavy rains, even if it means sleeping on a slope. The one time I did end up with a flooded tent site (30 years ago), I was using a ground cloth and it was no help at all.

The floor is generally the toughest part of the tent and the easiest to replace, although I've never had occasion to do so.

IMHO, a ground cloth or a footprint is completely unnecessary and just adds extra weight.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/11/13 02:00 PM)

#180204 - 10/11/13 05:58 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I fully agree with Mouse. I have a footprint, but the only time I use it is if I'm doing a fly and footprint only pitch without the inner tent.

#180205 - 10/11/13 06:53 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: jimmyb]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have a few different sizes of single layer bubble foil insulation I use, and it's tough stuff.

The smaller piece is 25" x 40" and weighs 4-5 ounces. I use it under my sleeping bag with a visqueen groundsheet and with or without a visqueen tarp.

The other bubble foil piece is used as the floor of my tent, no other groundsheet is used. It's pretty big, 40" x 80". It packs down to about a 6" diameter by 20" wide roll and weighs about 12 ounces.

Folded up, either of these pieces make a great sitting pad too.

Quote:
Also I was wondering if someone could tell me if the E-blanket could possibly be reflecting any radiant heat back at us as that may be somewhat useful information.

Well you hooked me with that bait...

I've tested various reflective materials a lot for several years now in cold weather and, yes, the reflective surface absolutely does reflect your body heat back into your sleeping bag and tent. The tent I use is made out of SOL Emergency Blankets. Most of my nights are spent in below 40º, many of them in the 20ºs, and they're long nights, so I'm a big fan of the stuff. A small campfire will warm the inside of the tent to +80º in almost no time and a good bed of coals will keep warming it for hours after the fire has died out.

The key to using these reflective materials is to make sure there is air space between you and the material. This makes the bubble foil great for sitting pads and ground cloths, and the SOL Emergency blanket material works good for "Super Shelter" or "Campfire Tent" designs. The tent I made is a small version of a "Baker's Tent".

So, just laying an emergency blanket under and over your sleeping bag will keep you warmer, but it will also gather condensation. My tests in below 20º left a very small coating of frost on the outside top of my down bag, but I did not get wet from it. In 40º weather that might not be the case, the bag probably would get wet in humid conditions, but I wouldn't use it in 40º weather.

I encourage you to experiment with these materials. If you can have campfire where you'll be camping then make a tent or super shelter and test it out. It doesn't cost much and it's a good excuse to get out there and I'd like to hear about how it works for you. I'll be using the one I made soon here (our backpacking season start in about two weeks!)

Here's an old post about the tent I made. There are lot's of videos about "Super Shelters" on YouTube, but I honestly think the "Baker's Tent" design I copied was worth the extra effort and probably works quite a bit better at retaining heat than those you'll see on YouTube.

I also think that much better designs than mine can and should be made. I'm lazy, and I like my tent, so it might be awhile before I make another. But I won't go back now. That tent works so good here, where I backpack, that when it wears out I will make another. I'm thinking a half tube or half dome design might be cool wink

"You want to go where?"

#180206 - 10/11/13 08:18 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: billstephenson]
jimmyb Offline

Bill, thanks for the link.

The temps you were able to achieve in your tent are very impressive. We don't have fires but the knowledge of design and use of materials is great to have.

thanks for sharing that, jimmyb

#180207 - 10/12/13 03:05 AM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: jimmyb]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just read of a place in eastern Oregon where I might want a nice thick ground sheet. It's in the brand new Cottonwood Canyon State Park on the John Day River, and it appears the camp sites are well infested with eastern Oregon and Washington's candidate for most noxious weed, generally known as puncture vine or tackweed and often by less repeatable names. It's the bane of dogs, bicycle tires, barefooted humans and inflatable air pads.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/12/13 03:08 AM)

#180208 - 10/12/13 12:58 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
We have the bloody stuff where I live and I've had to switch to Slime inner tubes in my commute bike; otherwise I'd be fixing flats every day.

Grrrrrr.

Silnylon tent floors and sleeping on granite are two reasons I'd use a sheet under my tent. A painter's drop cloth can suffice.

Cheers,

#180210 - 10/12/13 04:33 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: Rick_D]
jimmyb Offline

Camping on coral like in the FL Keys is also a nasty proposition without some protection. We were down car camping in the Glades and spent a day/night checking out the keys on a winter break from New England snows with a new 3P tent w/o a cloth. Our neighbor who was down on an extended fishing trip saw the fix we were in and immediately handed us a blue tarp. Nice guy, found out he lived only hours from us.

FWIW one night was enough. Was glad to get back to the relative peace of Flamingo Bay.

jimmyb

#180230 - 10/14/13 10:23 PM Re: Ground cloth anyone? [Re: jimmyb]
jimmyb Offline

We used the house tyvek this weekend. Cut the piece I needed and hand washed in a tiny bit of laundry detergent in warm water and let dry. The material was then quiet and flexible and IMO held its strength. It saved weight over our other cloth and worked very well. I wrap the tent poles in it to isolate them from possibly poking a hole in my trash compactor bag pack liner. Probably will try the lighter kyte tyvek when I can get my hands on some but this worked great for $0.

jimmyb

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum