Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180093 - 10/06/13 12:17 PM To Chair or Not to Chair
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
When I've been out lately, I've been seeing more and more beginners carrying chair kits (or even some of those new "ultralite" chairs, with legs and all, that "only" weigh 2 pounds.)

Don't get me wrong; I see a fair number of chair kits among seasoned hikers, too. In fact, I used them on nearly all trips until about a year and a half ago, when I decided to see if I really needed them. I found that they're not essential, but I also found that I missed the touch of comfort they added. (I may take one on my next weekend trip, just to see if they are worth it.)

I'd like to open that topic for your input, to benefit those beginners who are selecting that first set of gear - often with a salesperson's "help," which may or may have a commercial bias to their advice.

So, do you use them? Would you recommend them?

Edited by Glenn Roberts (10/06/13 07:29 PM)
Edit Reason: correct spelling errors

#180094 - 10/06/13 01:21 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have never used a chair while backpacking. Where I go on my BP trips there is almost always a tree or rock that I can sit and lean against to get comfortable enough. However, as I get older, my behind seems to be getting bonier. So far, a small piece of CC foam is adequate padding but it is hard to say how long it will suffice. Getting old is not for sissies smile

#180095 - 10/06/13 02:11 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I will echo Pika's answer. I never have used a chair or chair kit while backpacking. Instead I use a one-foot square cut from an old RidgeRest pad. It does a passing fair job, as long as I clear away the debris on the ground before I put it down. I also use it to supplement the padding under my hips when I sleep, which is a big help.

#180096 - 10/06/13 02:29 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Pika]
jimmyb Offline

No chairs here. Not that I wouldn't love to have one to sit in, but I'm not willing to carry one. We pull up a piece of mother natures furniture or sit on the ground. Im 5'8" and 125 lbs soakin' wet so I know "boney butt". I also agree getting old is not for sissies. smile I have, however, been thinking lately of carrying a small piece of foam. I do believe that will be with me shortly.

jimmyb

#180098 - 10/06/13 03:04 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: jimmyb]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
No chair here, either. A tree (watch for pitch, though!), rock, log or even my pack propped up with my trekking poles does just fine. A piece of closed cell foam pad is nice to sit on, not so much for padding as for insulation from cold/damp ground or, this time of year (at least this year), snow.

#180099 - 10/06/13 05:39 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
In my opinion, if a chair makes someone more comfortable,and they want to carry it, then they should carry it.

Still, that weight is an extra 32 ounces of beer I could carry...and then I wouldn't notice I didn't have a chair.

#180100 - 10/06/13 05:48 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The problem with the attitude that "carry it if it adds to comfort" discounts the discomfort added by hauling it in! And where do you draw the line? There are tons of non-essential items that "add comfort". I carry a foot-pad of 2x2 blue foam and use that as a sit pad too. Then I simply use my pack for a backrest. For two extra pounds I would rather beef up my sleeping pad, add a layer of clothes, and take camp shoes. As for getting old, I find it more important to reduce pack weight than add non-essential stuff for "comfort". I really spend little time sitting so two added pounds just to sit more comfortably seems ridiculous to me.

#180101 - 10/06/13 06:28 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: wandering_daisy]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
My hammock serves as my bed and as a chair. While hiking, I also have a sit pad for the quick breaks. The sit pad is also used to stand on when putting on pants under the hammock tarp in the rain.

#180104 - 10/06/13 07:01 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
No chair for me either. I use my bubble foil insulation for a ground cloth and sitting pad too and it's big enough to also use as a back pad for sitting up against a tree.

I would bring one if it were practical though.

I really like OM's suggestion for using trekking poles to prop up her pack. I know they'd work great with my tent or tarp too, and using them to prop my pack for a chair sounds like enough added purpose to make me want to try them out now laugh

"You want to go where?"

#180105 - 10/06/13 07:40 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Roberts Offline

That was exactly why I stopped carrying it a couple of years ago: as I get older, I've got to reduce weight to keep doing this.

I used the weight to upgrade to a thicker, warmer pad and to add an inflatable 4-ounce pillow (which makes a dandy sit pad, partially inflated.)

I also found that, with a change in packs to the Atmos 50, I could once again prop up my pack with my trekking poles and use it to lean against (assuming no clean, handy log, rock, or tree was available.) That was something I used to do with external frame packs; Colin Fletcher taught me that trick. (Well, his original Complete Walker book did, anyhow.)

Like I said, I may give it another try in a couple of weeks - but I suspect it will only confirm my previous decision to leave it behind.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (10/06/13 07:52 PM)

#180106 - 10/06/13 07:47 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

So, Mouse, about propping up the pack with poles: did Colin Fletcher teach you that trick, or did you teach him? smile

Couldn't resist that. I do have one question about using your pack as a backrest. I did that all the time when I used an external frame pack; I've gone back to doing it with my current Atmos 50 because the perimeter frame lets me use it like my old externals. However, I could never get an internal frame pack to remain upright - it always tried to twist off to one side or the other.

Are you able to prop up your internal frame pack, or do you still use an external?

#180108 - 10/06/13 09:31 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Nope, I figured it out for myself. The structure can be a bit delicate, though. You want to lean back slowly and carefully! I've only done this during the day when the pack is fully loaded. I don't think it would work with an empty pack in camp.

My pack is a lightweight internal, basically a frameless pack plus two aluminum stays. Six Moon Designs Comet, a discontinued smaller version of their Starlight. Seems to work just fine to support the weight--I've carried up to 35 lbs. in it, although I don't recommend it. My shoulders, back and hips were fine, but my knees and feet were screaming!

I still haven't read any Colin Fletcher, probably time to start!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/06/13 09:32 PM)

#180111 - 10/06/13 11:21 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
SC Forester Offline

Loc: SC
I will sometimes carry a chair kit for my thermarest other times a piece of closed cell foam.
The foam for fast and light hikes where there is not a lot of time for sitting. I have tried really hard to get my pack weight down so I can add some extra comfort. Anything under 25 lbs is light to me so why not be light and comfortable.

#180114 - 10/07/13 09:30 AM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
No chairs here. My hammock makes a pretty good "chair" but usually I'll sit on my ridgerest pad, folded double, or left rolled up. A chair is more of a car camp option.

#180173 - 10/10/13 10:43 AM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Dryer]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I don't bring a chair. Like others, I use a CCF pad to sit on, with a tree as a backrest, or something else.

It does present a problem when I go car camping though. I am so used to not bringing a chair that half the time I car camp, I forget to bring my chair. It sucks car camping without a chair.

#180177 - 10/10/13 10:58 AM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
lori Offline

Things I use for a chair: bear canister, pack (full or empty), hammock, ccf square, rocks, stumps.

Things I don't use: a chair.

If there's an extra pound in the pack, it's either wine or a flask of something stronger. Maybe the first night out meal of something not dehydrated.... There's more comfort for the pound in other things.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180178 - 10/10/13 11:05 AM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Lori already beat me to my "use as a chair" list.... These things are also included in selecting a good comfortable campsite. I can tell you one thing! As long as I have to carry a %$@#*!!! bear canister, I'm not hauling a chair in too.

But Glenn, this does seem to be one of those personal choice/ comfort things that may help make or break a trip for someone. But hauling in a chair is not for me.

OM, I've never read any Colin F. either... blush

Edited by skcreidc (10/10/13 11:06 AM)

#180180 - 10/10/13 12:17 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've seen, and own, some pretty light chairs, and there have been many times I really wished I had one. Sometimes there just isn't a good rock or a good tree.

One of the things I like best about a hammock is that they make a great chair. It's occurred to me that it might be easy to design a lightweight hammock chair. I'm not very heavy so I could get away with some lightweight materials, and it'd be a lot easier around here to find two trees to suspend it than a hammock made for sleeping.

I haven't because I know I could make a 100 other lightweight things to bring, and I know I have to avoid that tendency like a monkey that wants to keep jumping on my back.

Still, we all bring our luxuries, and a chair can be pretty darn luxurious. I haven't seen it yet, but if I ever do seen one that busts the weight barrier below what I can resist I'll be a happier camper.

"You want to go where?"

#180181 - 10/10/13 01:07 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: skcreidc]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Like I said earlier, I've pretty much given chair kits up, too, but I'll occasionally take one just to remind myself why I don't.

I hadn't seen a thread that pulled together everyone's thoughts on chairs, so I thought it might be a good idea to have one on the Beginner's forum, just for newcomers (to the forum or the sport) to read.

Usually, I tell the folks who are on their first trip, when they ask about a chair, the same thing I'm hearing all of you say: I don't consider them a necessity, they're a very heavy luxury, but it's a personal decision for you to make: a lighter pack all day, or a couple of hours of easy sitting in the evening. Then I explain the alternatives, which you've all mentioned.

#180182 - 10/10/13 01:08 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
ok.... I will stand up in defense of a chair. After a long day on the trail having a nice comfortable place to sit down is sublime. Sometimes you can find a nice comfy spot provided by nature. Rarely do you find multiple spots for everyone in the group to sit down and chat while eating dinner.

I have on of these: http://www.rei.com/product/846402/alite-monarch-butterfly-chair

at just over a pound I get an awful lot of use out of it every trip. There are four legged versions, but I have had no issues using my tired legs as the remaining two legs of the chair. Every time I sit down in any chair I have my feet on the ground anyway.

For about the same weight you can get the bigger sling light: http://slinglight.com

Not withstanding the 1970's advertising campaign I think they are still made and sold (thru their website). Others who have used them seem to like them.

#180184 - 10/10/13 03:14 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Don't worry Glenn, I didn't think of you as that "someone". grin I personally don't have anything against bringing a chair. I just don't. Case in point; Couple of years ago a ran across this guy doing cross country in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. We decided to keep each other company that night and setting up camp he wipped out his chair kit (I have NO clue what make it was). He then proceeded to explain that for him, having this chair to relax in at the end of the day was the difference between him feeling refreshed in the a.m. or having to force himself out of bed. Definitely seemed lighter than the bear canister (about 2.5 lbs) I was using as a chair at the moment. He is about my age and I say good for him for still being able to get out there and enjoy himself.

Packing for a backpacking trip is sort of like a negotiation with one's self as to how much weight you are willing to carry and what is "essential" for you on the trip. A balance of sorts is needed to be reached between weight and enjoyment of the trip. Hiking along the JMT this summer, I came across a group that found a solar powered getto blaster essential. Loud, and a bit annoying, but apparently essential. A chair's GOT to be lighter than that.

I will say this though, ask me again in 10 more years.

#180186 - 10/10/13 08:47 PM Re: To Chair or Not to Chair [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson

One of the things I like best about a hammock is that they make a great chair. It's occurred to me that it might be easy to design a lightweight hammock chair. I'm not very heavy so I could get away with some lightweight materials, and it'd be a lot easier around here to find two trees to suspend it than a hammock made for sleeping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZMvv9WZGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7KCy9PiKuQ

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum