Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179974 - 09/30/13 09:50 PM Government Shutdown 2.0
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I called this 2.0 because I think we had this conversation last year, right? I forgot. Anyway, if the government shut down tomorrow morning I'm wondering if the national parks will be affected as well? I got a backpacking permit secured for the Smoky this weekend.

Edit: Base on this information they better refund my permit fee......

Edited by ETSU Pride (09/30/13 09:55 PM)

#179976 - 09/30/13 10:40 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
My vacation plans didn't pan out, wrong gear for conditions so turned around and came home the same day after workng. I had another trip planned this coming weekend in Lassen VNP, but if things are shut down, it ruins that too.
Duane

#179977 - 09/30/13 11:09 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
jimmyb Offline

I would strongly suggest you call ahead. It has been all over the news tonight and nights previous that a shut down will effectively and immediately close the National Parks.

Although its little consolation, there is probably a good chance you will be able to file for a refund. This summer we canceled our last night in a Sequoia NP campground and stayed the night in a park lodge to get packed and cleaned up for the plane ride home. Had to cut out at 3 in the morning. Had no problem getting refunded as long as I left by checkout.

Of course you will have to wait on your refund until the govmint goes back to work. eek

jimmyb

#179978 - 09/30/13 11:15 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: jimmyb]
lori Offline

recreation.gov and reserveamerica are AFAIK contractors and not affected by gov'ment anything....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179979 - 09/30/13 11:19 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: hikerduane]
jimmyb Offline

I'm guessing the powers to be will not have the will power to go the distance with this one and will cave to the pressure by this weekend. Fingers crossed for you folks and all the others who may be effected Hopefully they will come to an agreement.

jimmyb

PS just my two cents. the preceding is not in anyway whatsoever a political comment.

#179980 - 09/30/13 11:21 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: lori]
jimmyb Offline

Quote:
recreation.gov and reserveamerica are AFAIK contractors and not affected by gov'ment anything....

Oops, very true. Well good luck.

#179981 - 09/30/13 11:46 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
go ahead and go on your trip. Who will be there to stop you?

#179983 - 09/30/13 11:50 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: Ewker]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
In some cases, locked gates. frown

#179986 - 10/01/13 02:35 AM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
ETSU, isn't there a lot of mountain range there outside the National Park? Don't cancel the trip, just have a Plan B!

A little history: Back in the 1980's, this sort of thing happened every year--it was a regular feature of the Federal fiscal year-end. I was working for a government contractor at the time. They had to give contractor employees 2 weeks' notice on October 1, but the shutdown never lasted that long. At Mt. Rainier NP they closed the park but not the gates, so we could get in free.

In 1995, Mt. Rainier NP closed the gates. That closure, of course, lasted a lot longer. I was no longer working for the contractor, so I don't know what happened there. I never did get my Social Security card replaced after my wallet was stolen from my desk at work in mid-December of that year. That shutdown lasted so long that the whole idea became politically unpopular--at least for the next 18 years.

#179987 - 10/01/13 08:38 AM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
ETSU, isn't there a lot of mountain range there outside the National Park? Don't cancel the trip, just have a Plan B!

A little history: Back in the 1980's, this sort of thing happened every year--it was a regular feature of the Federal fiscal year-end. I was working for a government contractor at the time. They had to give contractor employees 2 weeks' notice on October 1, but the shutdown never lasted that long. At Mt. Rainier NP they closed the park but not the gates, so we could get in free.

In 1995, Mt. Rainier NP closed the gates. That closure, of course, lasted a lot longer. I was no longer working for the contractor, so I don't know what happened there. I never did get my Social Security card replaced after my wallet was stolen from my desk at work in mid-December of that year. That shutdown lasted so long that the whole idea became politically unpopular--at least for the next 18 years.

No backpacking in the Smokies allowed until government reopens. permit information

Every backpacking land here in south is federal designated. I'm guessing the Department of Agriculture shut down all the national forests as well. Other wise I guess I'll go back to work this weekend instead of burning paid-time-off days.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/01/13 08:42 AM)

#179988 - 10/01/13 09:29 AM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: aimless]
Ewker Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
In some cases, locked gates. frown

have someone drop you off and go
A lot of trail heads are on main roads. You could go to Slickrock Citco Wilderness and hike for as long as you want.

Edited by Ewker (10/01/13 09:31 AM)

#179994 - 10/01/13 01:49 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: Ewker]
Ewker Offline

looks like National Forest are shutting down also based on an email I got today

#179998 - 10/01/13 06:12 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: Ewker]

The National Forest Service is shutting down all its offices and facilities, but not closing the forests (in most cases, they can't!). Hikers are free to roam, and at least out here, they have said as much.

Per local news media,
Quote:
U.S. Forest Service stations, information offices and programs are closed, but recreation (such as hiking) on the forests remains open. Many of the campgrounds were closed for the season prior to the government shutdown. Many of the other campgrounds that stay open during hunting season are still open, if they are operated by concessionaire. Campgrounds without a gate would remain available for use.

I'd check local media before canceling your trip!

#180000 - 10/01/13 06:58 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yeah [sigh].

Happy 123rd birthday, Yosemite.

#180002 - 10/01/13 09:45 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]

I did some googling; trails are open in North Carolina national forests per this article.

#180004 - 10/01/13 11:20 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
They closed 120 at Yosemite, at least from the east.

#180006 - 10/01/13 11:28 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The shutdown should only affect NF land where you need a permit or have gates on access roads. For example, you do not need permits in the Wind Rivers (Bridger and Shoshone National Forests) and many access roads to trailheads are county roads.

I personally would still do a trip as long as I could park my car on non-federal land. For example, Twin Lakes trailhead to Hoover Wilderness is on private land. The private owner does charge to park, but I would still go in for a backpack, even without a permit. With such limited resources, giving you a ticket for going in without a permit is the last thing on the mind of the Forest Service.

#180009 - 10/02/13 10:15 AM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: wandering_daisy]
ETSU Pride Offline

Well, with Standing Indian Campground being opened, I could do a nice loop in that area. I just don't have a map. May see if my friend got one.

Edit: Thanks a lot Wandering Daisy. You need a permit here, but the permit are kiosk stand. So I can imagine they're still available...My friend and I are discussing it and since campground open, surely the kiosk stand still has paperwork for permits? In Linville Gorge in the Pisgah, you need a permit from visitor center from April-October, the rest of year you do not need a permit. I've backpacked there in November and no permits were required.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/02/13 10:38 AM)

#180017 - 10/02/13 01:43 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
ETSU Pride Offline

My friend can only do one night regardless, so I'm just going cancel and roll my PTO day for another weekend. I may try get back to Smoky while we're still in month of October. (I'm going on limb saying govt reopen during month of October..)

I already been approved to have Thanksgiving week off from work, and my friend put in request as well. Him and I going to do an insane epic in Linville Gorge that week for 3-4 days then be home day before Thanksgiving. Google Linville Gorge if you never heard of it. It's the best kept secret in the east until now. grin Some of you may remember my thread about a trip report in this area back in 2011. It wasn't picture intensive, but I'll be sure take more pictures this time. cool

#180020 - 10/02/13 02:15 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I am taking an extended weekend trip in DC in late October to do some museum hopping (must see the Kacynski exhibit at the Newseum!). Several of the museums I plan to visit are private so still open but I had hoped to visit a number of house museums that are run by the NPS and they are now closed. If the government is still shut down I thought I might head over to the Capitol and boo passing by congressmen. That's not illegal, is it?

Nonrefundable plane tickets are already paid for so no cancelling for me.

#180022 - 10/02/13 02:44 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: PerryMK]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By PerryMK
I am taking an extended weekend trip in DC in late October to do some museum hopping (must see the Kacynski exhibit at the Newseum!). Several of the museums I plan to visit are private so still open but I had hoped to visit a number of house museums that are run by the NPS and they are now closed. If the government is still shut down I thought I might head over to the Capitol and boo passing by congressmen. That's not illegal, is it?

Nonrefundable plane tickets are already paid for so no cancelling for me.

I think you're good, according to the 1st amendment. grin

Edit: I went to Washington D.C. my 2nd year of college through the university. Saw all the museums, monuments, etc. Some cool history with interesting things to read and learn.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/02/13 02:45 PM)

#180054 - 10/03/13 12:27 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I got an email from the director of the North Country Trail which stated that all trail work, maintenance, volunteer led trips etc must be canceled. Since the NCT is under the National Park Service all insurance and liability issues are not covered. I would imagine that other trail like the AT are subject to the same restrictions. There were several events and work days scheduled for the NCT so those are canceled or moved to non National Park areas. Sad, stupid and unnecessary.

My brother wrote an email to our representative who is one of the tea party darlings and he received an email back telling him that he was unable to reply due to the shutdown but he appreciated his input. It is very valuable to him.

#180056 - 10/03/13 01:22 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: ETSU Pride]
MKenyon2 Offline

Loc: Cleona, PA, USA
Any word on AT? I'm planning on hiking from one PA state park to another PA state park this weekend. It's also State Forest, so I don't think I'll have an issue.

#180061 - 10/03/13 02:26 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: MKenyon2]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By MKenyon2
Any word on AT? I'm planning on hiking from one PA state park to another PA state park this weekend. It's also State Forest, so I don't think I'll have an issue.

It should not be a problem as long as you are not doing it as part of the AT conference. It would only be a problem to someone doing something as part of a government agency.

#180080 - 10/04/13 11:38 PM Re: Government Shutdown 2.0 [Re: GrumpyGord]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
I've been following a few PCT blogs and apparently even with a shutdown, they can still find a way to keep a few rangers on guard..Imagine hiking all the way to ALMOST Canada..
http://somanymiles.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/day-164-trail-closed/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum