Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180052 - 10/03/13 12:14 PM Opinions on 3 season bag
jimmyb Offline

Hey folks im looking to update a couple old synthetic 20 deg bags. I think this time around I would like to go with a set of down bags for the wife and I. This has been a tough search for me as I just don't have a lot of contact with others in the sport to gather feedback from. I really don't plan on being out below 32F but for the small difference in weight I thought if better to build in a buffer of a few more degrees. The upgrade expectations are to loose at least a pound or more in weight, pack smaller and probably gain some efficiency with new technology. I doubt the old bag was temp accurate but hard to say as I sleep on the cold side.

As I have to purchase 2 bags, price starts to become an issue. To give you an idea of what seems to fit my requirements Im looking at bags no more than a few oz. over 2 lbs. Generally in the 20 deg range and somewhere around $300ea. if possible. Let me throw this one out for example.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13342027&lmdn=Insulation Type&cp=3677338.3705267

Now I don't know the quality of newer EMS products. I do know their bags are not EN rated. It was awarded backpacksrs '13 editors choice which at this point doesn't really tell me much as I don't subscribe or know how biased or unbiased they may be. As far as price, this bag is on sale this weekend can be had for $299.

thanks for any help you can offer.

jimmyb

#180053 - 10/03/13 12:20 PM Re: Opinions on 3 season bag [Re: jimmyb]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I can't really comment on the EMS bags, since I've never used them or known anyone who did. (Ohio is a bit outside EMS' customary market area.)

If you want really good, really light down bags, take a look at Western Mountaineering or Marmot. Their lightest bags are the Extremelite (WM) and Element (Marmot) series; they are, naturally, the most expensive. But both also make less expensive (and heavier) down bags. My first choice would be anything from WM, but that's a personal preference; I've used a couple of the Marmot (Hydrogen and Helium) bags, and they're good, too. They're outside your price range, but if you can get past the cringe factor, you may never need to replace them, so they may be cheaper in the long run.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (10/03/13 12:21 PM)

#180057 - 10/03/13 01:38 PM Re: Opinions on 3 season bag [Re: jimmyb]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Here is my opinion, whether you want it or not. smile

I don't know much about EMS bags, other than I haven't heard anyone saying bad things about them. But, here is my philosophy. If you are seriously on a budget, but still want a light, down bag, then look at bags in the $100-$200 range, like the Kelty cosmic down series, or the Kelty lightyear series, or the Campmor bags. But, if you can spend $250-$400 on a bag, then you can also spend $400-$500 on a bag, and you might as well go for the top, like Westernmountaineering.

#180058 - 10/03/13 01:45 PM Re: Opinions on 3 season bag [Re: jimmyb]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Those spec out very nicely and the pricepoint is quite good for waterproofed down bags, from what I've seen (that option is still quite new in the marketplace). The Pertex shell material is also used in high-end bags.

If you can hit them while they have stock, look at GoLite for deals on well-spec'd down bags. And for comparison sake, look at Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends or Valendre to give you some idea of the highest end of the market.

Happy shopping.

#180060 - 10/03/13 02:10 PM Re: Opinions on 3 season bag [Re: jimmyb]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I am really happy with my quilt from this guys:

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

and the price is great!

#180062 - 10/03/13 04:31 PM Re: Opinions on 3 season bag [Re: BZH]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Good point - I guess I got tunnel vision when the OP said "bag."

Quilts are a good three-season choice. I have a WM Mitylite; it's a hoodless, full zip down bag rated to 40 degrees. At 50 or above, I zip it open down to the foot (I leave the foot and about 6 inches of the side zipped, to form a foot pocket), and use it like a quilt, with nothing under me but my sleeping pad. It's a very comfortable way to sleep, and I've never gotten cold.

Below 50, I switch to a WM Megalite (below 30, it's an Alpinlite), which is a full hooded bag, used the traditional way. I think you could use an appropriately-rated quilt at those ranges, too. After all, the down in the bottom side of the bag is compressed to nothing, so it doesn't provide any warmth. For me, it's the hood that is the sleeping bag advantage - and I've often wondered if wearing a hooded down jacket to bed might not accomplish the same thing. I'll have to try it sometime, in the back yard.

Below 40 degrees or so, what's underneath you is as important as the bag above you. Regardless of whether you use a bag or quilt, if your sleeping pad isn't providing enough insulation from the cold ground, you'll sleep cold - and a thicker bag or quilt won't change that.

Enough rambling - I'd second the recommendation that you look at both bags and quilts, and choose the one you like best.

#180068 - 10/04/13 05:42 AM Re: Opinions on 3 season bag [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bluefish Offline

I have one. Just got back from a 11 day Sierra trip where it snowed, wind howled, got into the teens one night, stayed above 11,000 most nights. I never zipped the bag up, or used the hood. I will this winter, camping at home in Vt. and NY. I have zero issue with EMS products- they're my toy store and we have lots . We have 30 degree EMS down bags that are 25 years old and still going strong. My wife used hers this trip. She's going to double them for the winter. We also have synthetic -15 bags we're replacing because of bulk. If you're a cold sleeper, this bag would be an excellent choice for the money. Compressed well, lofted quickly, nice feel, no down loss. I expect to have mine for another 20 years.

Edited by bluefish (10/04/13 05:50 AM)

#180071 - 10/04/13 10:01 AM Re: Opinions on 3 season bag [Re: bluefish]
jimmyb Offline

Thanks for the info Bluefish. I was hoping to get a first hand review from someone here. On that recommendation I pulled the trigger on a pair for the wife and I.

After considerable research Im finding this bag to be made of good quality components and I like the idea of the dry down technology. Some of the other companies I spoke to like Marmot are planning on going that route next year. They are very pleased with its performance in their clothing lines. This bag is almost identical to Sierra designs Cal 13 which seems to have very good reviews. Only difference was SD is using a lighter outer fabric making it a few oz. lighter.

I also got lucky today as the bag went on sale this morning at 20% off and they are also offering another sale simultaneously of $50 off purchases of $200 or more which puts the total at $269/ea. That's $260 total savings! That was just too hard to turn down. Also after talking with an associate, EMS has no problem taking the item back after actually trying it out. Not sure how I can go wrong here.

Thanks everyone for your input, jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (10/04/13 11:26 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum