Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179873 - 09/25/13 09:04 PM Re: Shoes [Re: billstephenson]
jimmyb Offline

+ one on Western trails being some of the nicest to hike. First time out we couldn't believe what a pleasure to travel over.

also +1 on the high top study. That describes EXACTLY how I feel when wearing mids. The top of the boots in contact with my ankles absolutely gives feedback to the mechanical balance mechanisms, ie muscle/nerve structure. Since I no longer have an autotomic balance system I can only rely on muscle/nerve feedback and line of horizon. FYI you can function on 2 of 3 balance systems. Loose 2 and your all done. When its dark out and I loose my line of horizon I just fall down. cry

Broke in my new pair of Lightweight mids on a shake down overnight yesterday. This was our return to backpacking after many, many years now using much of what I learned here about light weight backpacking thanks....was a huge success. By far the biggest improvement was carrying less weight on my feet with much lighter footwear.

jimmyb

#179899 - 09/28/13 01:26 AM Re: Shoes [Re: jimmyb]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Bill said (and Jimmy concurs)
"but surmised the hi-tops provide feedback through the nerves in the ankle to the brain, which reacted with signals to the muscles to adjust accordingly, and that's what helps reduce injuries to the ankles."

Thats what I find. I hike off trail on scree a lot and I generally try to turn and ankle about 6 times a day. If I have a high topped hiking boot, my body feels the twist coming and my strong ankle muscles have a chance to react before any damage is done.

Depending on your experience and native ability you can do just about anything. I know people who rock climb in tevas - generally tearing out a few tendons, I have a good friend who walked up the South Sister in Tevas and frankly I am often on the lava flow behind my house in house slippers...(I am a rock climber)...

BUT the OP asked for good reasonable advice and this thread has pretty much just been a big arguement that started with Lori calling me a wag for suggesting high topped hiking boots. Lori and others need to learn to chill a bit and allow for discussion which they do not agree with. [THIS IS A FORUM -YOU DO NOT GET TO BE DISGUSTED WITH OTHER PEOPLES OPINION. How many times have we read "oh you read in the opposite of what I meant"? Well maybe people should think twice before putting their mouths, err fingers to work.

One thing I found learned from nearly 20 years in outdoor forums is that there are about a dozen correct ways to do anything and things and ideas that work for one may not work for another. And - some love technology and some hate technology, but loving to hate technology is a waste of our bandspace to tell us that something is no good because you can't make it work.
Jim

#179901 - 09/28/13 06:09 AM Re: Shoes [Re: Jimshaw]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I wear different footwear based on the trip. In general I would choose trail runners. Especially in really rough trails. I want/need as much flexibility at the ankle as possible for stability and so that torque isn't transferred to my knees. Having worn boots on long trips of this nature, my knees get sore due to them taking the full force of the uneven terrain. The legs and all the joints (including toes) work together as a system to provide stability and disallowing the use of any puts more strain on the others. With trail runners, my legs are able to handle the variable terrain without soreness.

If the focus is on dryness, then waterproof boots are my choice. This often happens on the easier trails where I am walking through a lot of low plant growth which is wet from dew or rain. Insulated/waterpoof boots in the winter. These are to protect from snow and cold.

I wear gaiters to stop debris from falling into all footwear choices.

I forgot to add, the feedback described by Bill et al is proprioceptive neuromuscular feedback. It can be gained via the shoe or training. Some experts believe that braces don't provide as much support but instead help with proprioception.

#179918 - 09/28/13 10:39 PM Re: Shoes [Re: DTape]
kievalina Offline

Loc: metro detroit, mi
I love my Lowa Renegades. One thing I found with many boots was that the soles felt so thick and stiff that I couldn't feel the ground through the sole of the boot. That felt unsafe. But I felt the Lowas gave a very natural feel. And I'm a sandals-in-the-snow kinda person. (In other words, if I'm taking the dog out to pee in the dead of winter and there's anything less than an inch of snow on the ground, I might wear sandals. I hate having my feet confined in shoes! I'll be out there in a coat, snowpants... and sandals.) Just a plug for the Lowas. (Esp. paired with a nice wool hiking sock, mid-weight.) But that's just me.

#179975 - 09/30/13 09:58 PM Re: Shoes [Re: ray6r]
SC Forester Offline

Loc: SC
It’s always nice to have a fellow Carolinian around here. I have yet to through hike the foothills trail, it is on my list. On most SC trails anything goes. Barefoot backpacking is even starting to catch hold. I don’t like it because I feel like I spend too much time looking down and not up and around. Somethings to consider when choosing footwear; How sure footed you are, how strong are you ankles how much will you be carrying. But whatever you choose make sure they fit well and are broken in. With a Sub 25 lbs pack I would choose a low top day hiking boot on the foothills trail.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum