Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179696 - 09/14/13 04:17 PM another STOVE question - opinions wanted!
back2denali Offline

First post but not new to camping.

I’m trying to decide on the best camp stove for my needs and want to get some input from other backpackers, cyclists, etc. I like to try out different gear (a great excuse for buying different gear) but this gets expensive.
Here are the parameters I’m considering:

• I’m a backpacker and cyclist so size and weight are the immediate issues.
• Must be reliable and easy to light - I don’t do any arctic camping, mostly low alpine above 30 degrees F.
• Assume the need to carry fuel for minimum 10 days, cooking 2.5 meals a day for 1 man (simple meals - boil and eat).
• Fuel availability – white gas, unleaded gas, diesel usually available. I don’t want a propane/butane stove.
• Cost - would like to stay under $100; used gear is good by me.

I haven’t used the Svea 123 or Optimus 8r but I’d like to. My problem with them is that each contains a small fuel tank and I would need to carry a separate one to refill and that’s an added weight/space. My experience has shown me it’s best to have a separate stove and fuel tank. Opinions on this?

- I do have the Coleman 550 and really like it but the attached tank and size are big disadvantages for carrying it.
- The Trangia alcohol stove is compact and reliable but it’s difficult to regulate with the aftermarket rings and it doesn’t put off the heat I’d like for just boiling water.
- The Esbit stove is extremely simple and light to carry but I find I use a lot of tablets and they get heavy for long hikes.
- Many years ago I had a Primus Omnifuel that was a great stove but I was cycling with it and had to repack it in panniers after every meal. I didn’t like leaving the fuel hose connected and risk bending it so I’d have to remove the pump with every use - the only drawback. Do the hoses now all have a quick disconnect link on them? I would consider buying something similar to the Primus like a Whisperlite or Optimus Nova, etc., if I didn’t have to remove the pump with each use and can pack it securely.

Opinions ????

p.s. reviews have been iffy on the Optimus Nova+. Should I scratch that one off my list?

Edited by back2denali (09/14/13 07:29 PM)

#179698 - 09/14/13 07:52 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
In my personal opinion,the Svea 123 has served me well in every condition from 100 degrees in the Texas to below zero in the windy snowy ADK.I've had a couple flare-ups back in the 70's when I was learning how to use it. The stove is easy to operate and to keep in working order.

#179699 - 09/14/13 09:36 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I would suggest you take a look at the Sidewinder TiTri kit from Trail Designs.
$80 plus pot.
The Ti cone/windscreen is strong and light, the whole kit will fit inside the pot.
it comes with their 12-10 burner.
Faster than the Trangia and it uses less fuel too.
About 14g of alcohol to boil 500ml in 6-7 minutes at 50f plus temps.
Add a bit of time and fuel for 35f type temps.
http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder
( I use an older 550ml kit from them. Works very well)
400ml kit

1300ml kit

lots of options in between those sizes
http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

#179706 - 09/15/13 07:38 AM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
gendarme Offline

Loc: NW Arkansas
If you're only using the stove to boil, check out the home made alcohol stoves. Hard to find a lighter, cheaper, more reliable stove than a fancy feast.

#179707 - 09/15/13 08:23 AM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: gendarme]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree alky stoves are a good choice. You can't turn a valve to stop the flame so in some fire condition areas you aren't allowed to use them. I've had a ranger checking stoves being used in camp in the Catskills due to the high risk fire conditions at the time.

#179712 - 09/15/13 04:45 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
For the money, I'd pick up a MSR Whisperlite then. Cheaper used than a used Nova, Omnifuel. I believe the WL has a longer and better track record too. I have always left the pump in the bottle after releasing the pressure each morning when packing up. No issues. The 8R's and 111's are neat, but the 8'R's do have a small tank, good for at least one meal. I have a few alcohol stoves, they are slow, but work, no moving parts too! If just heating water, that might be the most reliable way to go, but the MSR WL will take about any pot.
Duane

#179721 - 09/16/13 04:08 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Why don't you want a canister stove? Canisters seem to be about as ubiquitous as white gas now days. Your other criteria seem to point towards Jetboil. The efficiency of the Jetboil system really shines at the time frame you are looking at.

If not a jetboil then a TriTi setup as recommended above is very efficient at boiling water.

#179724 - 09/16/13 09:14 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
lori Offline

Forty dollar Snow Peak Giga - and a bic lighter.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179727 - 09/16/13 10:30 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: BZH]
back2denali Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
Why don't you want a canister stove? Canisters seem to be about as ubiquitous as white gas now days.

- In most of the US maybe. But I don't want to take the chance when I pull into a small roadside shop in Alaska.
- I don't like carrying extra canisters and I really don't like packing around empty ones or throwing away the disposables.

I had a Brunton Raptor and really liked it for short trips but I'm looking for a single stove that I can use for everything.

#179730 - 09/16/13 10:41 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
lori Offline

Alcohol stove - runs with yellow bottle HEET or denatured, or Everclear if you can afford it.

Much simpler than the Whisperlite Internationale where you have all the different pieces/parts to swap jets when you swap fuel.

#179731 - 09/16/13 10:57 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
hikerduane Offline

A fellow stovie from CCS, took a pic of a store in Alaska like you describe, a good selection of fuel types.
Duane

#179732 - 09/16/13 11:14 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Even with the empty canisters (which can be punctured and recycled, BTW), canister stoves are a lot lighter and easier to use than liquid fuel.

In most winter situations, folks are going more and more to an inverted canister stove, which solves the problem that most isobutane/propane canister stoves don't work below 20*F. However, if you're in an area where temps go a long way below zero (I'm thinking of Jack London's "To Build a Fire"), liquid fuel is better.

Having once had a Whisperlite that turned into a flaming torch, I will no longer use liquid fuel. However, our winter temps here in western Oregon are usually no lower than +10-15*F. And I generally avoid winter camping.

#179733 - 09/17/13 12:42 AM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: hikerduane]
back2denali Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
A fellow stovie from CCS, took a pic of a store in Alaska like you describe, a good selection of fuel types.

I've been cycling and hiking in AK and supplies vary - unleaded fuel is everywhere though. And overseas (Peru, Slovenia, Nepal, Burma), you'd better have something that can burn diesel. I hate burning diesel but I like having the ability.

Originally Posted By lori
Alcohol stove - runs with yellow bottle HEET or denatured, or Everclear if you can afford it. Much simpler than the Whisperlite Internationale where you have all the different pieces/parts to swap jets when you swap fuel.

I have a Trangia alcohol stove and it is really simple. I bought a bottle of generic "HEET" from some discount store and it didn't burn worth a crap. I thought that stuff was all the same but apparently not. I'll have to get some name-brand HEET and give it another go.

#179735 - 09/17/13 01:49 AM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: back2denali]
lori Offline

Yellow bottle, not the red one... the ingredients differ significantly.

Scroll down and see what Mr. Woods has to say about HEET.
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/

#179736 - 09/17/13 09:25 AM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Hi, Lori - just got back from another problem-free weekend with my Jetboil! smile

Sorry, couldn't resist - I know that some day, you'll end up bailing me out. (Hubris always loses, in the end.)

For those who are new here, Lori's experiences around Jetboils indicate much higher failure rates than mine, so we kind of kid each other back and forth. I don't think either of us is wrong - I mostly take short trips, and don't abuse my gear; Lori's in SAR and leads beginner groups, so she is around a lot more people who probably misuse or abuse gear, and she takes longer trips, when things are more likely to fail. So I consider her a highly credible, well-informed source. (But I still like to give her a hard time, just for grins and giggles.)

#179737 - 09/17/13 09:40 AM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
lori Offline

Practice makes perfect I guess - they now have at last count five (six?) versions of the Jetboil. Guess they need to keep redesigning them to keep it "fresh" and steal people's money unnecessarily when they come in to upgrade to a version that changes color when you use it, or maybe they wash dishes now too?

The piezo is still a piece of **** tho.

I'm off to buy more bic lighters to hand out.

#179743 - 09/17/13 02:21 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
There's one that changes color!?!?! How did I miss that?

Don't forget "titanium" - Oooh, shiny! smile

#179748 - 09/17/13 04:00 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Well Lori, some of us do collect stoves. smile I have yet to get a JB though. Nine 8/8R's but then that's another story. Over 20 MSR stoves.
Duane

#179834 - 09/23/13 06:46 PM Re: another STOVE question - opinions wanted! [Re: hikerduane]
PDA Offline

This topic intrigued me, so I just weighed my cook system. Soda can (7.5 oz) capillary stove (which is also the pot stand), strip of recycled foil roasting pan wind shield, 7/8 fl oz recycled spring water bottle as fuel bottle, lighter and AL "Boy Scout" pot rescued from a thrift store for $1.99. 188 grams. Add a plastic cup and bowl and cozy and the whole boil, rehydrateand eat/drink set costs less than $5. Works well down to about 0C if you are aware of the limitations and proceed accordingly (keep fuel and stove warm, insulated from ground). Usually uses less than 30 ml of fuel for a meal & drink. Use Ethanol (denatured) and/or methanol as fuel - never isopropanol(except with a stove designed for it- Jon fong at Flat Cat makes one). Read the label on the container, it will tell you the contents, so that you get the correct fuel.

I still love my SVEA 123, but I don't take it backpacking.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum