Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179418 - 08/25/13 07:29 PM Plastic lined paper bags for rehydrating meals?
pianodirt Offline

Loc: Winthrop, WA
Glad to be back here on TLB! I think it was about 10-11 years ago on this forum there was discussion of what to use to replace the no longer produced Glad Stand and Zip plastic hot food bags. The Glad bags could withstand boiling water, had pleated bottoms and could be washed and reused. Glad stopped making these and someone here found a doable replacement. They were plastic lined paper bags with pleated bottoms. I have used these for years now for rehydrating foods using a Reflectix cozy, with very good results. I am down to bout 8 bags and want to buy more! Anyone know what I am talking about and where to find these?

I emailed the person who I bought these from and it was returned. They had bought a bulk quantity (smallest order they could get) of something like 2000 bags and sold smaller lots to folks like me.

I tried both the forum's search feature as well as a few google searches, no luck yet.

UPDATE: I found something similar, though dimensions are not given. These look similar to what I have but have a zip built in. Minimum order is 20,000 pieces!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/635872530/plastic_lined_kraft_paper_bag.html?s=p

Edited by pianodirt (08/25/13 07:41 PM)

#179430 - 08/26/13 09:47 AM Re: Plastic lined paper bags for rehydrating meals? [Re: pianodirt]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Have you tried looking in a craft store, like Michael's? It looks like a craft type bag.

#179432 - 08/26/13 10:33 AM Re: Plastic lined paper bags for rehydrating meals? [Re: pianodirt]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Hmm-

Who wants to go out on a limb and order 20 thousand (or was it 200 thousand?) bags to split up for a group buy??? Yeah, right!

If you want to look for an alternative, try repurposing cereal/cracker box liners or mylar snack bags. Either type can be sealed with a clothing iron. I wash chip/snack bags, dry, reseal the bottoms, add single precooked and dehydrated meals, and iron shut. Use a soda straw to suck out as much air as possible and keep bag pinched as you iron the last bit. I can't speak to the cereal bags, but I've added boiling water to the mylar ones many times. Also, I have found that I can set these bags back into a pot of simmering water for additional cooking if needed. It is more work to repurpose bags, but they are at least something one can locate cheaply. I've used strips of larger bags to make "pillow packs" of resupply items from peanut butter to hand sanitizer. Seals on these do deteriorate over time, so don't make them up too far in advance.

#179438 - 08/26/13 02:03 PM Re: Plastic lined paper bags for rehydrating meals? [Re: CamperMom]
pianodirt Offline

Originally Posted By CamperMom
Hmm-

If you want to look for an alternative, try repurposing cereal/cracker box liners or mylar snack bags. Either type can be sealed with a clothing iron. I wash chip/snack bags, dry, reseal the bottoms, add single precooked and dehydrated meals, and iron shut.

That's not a bad idea. I had no idea you could put boiling water on the mylar bags. I'll have to give that a try, thanks!

#179439 - 08/26/13 02:08 PM Re: Plastic lined paper bags for rehydrating meals? [Re: finallyME]
pianodirt Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
Have you tried looking in a craft store, like Michael's? It looks like a craft type bag.

Good idea, but I doubt a craft store would have a food-grade bag like this. Think of very large, pleated bottom, oatmeal packet...same kind of paper and plastic. In a craft bag, there could be any sort of plastic, but in a food bag, the plastic lining would have to be specifically food grade. I'm not a plastic expert, but I'd rather find the ones made for food.

#179458 - 08/27/13 11:28 AM Re: Plastic lined paper bags for rehydrating meals? [Re: pianodirt]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
You are welcome. I've been using the repurposed bags for about 15 years. It was easier to get the bags when I worked in an elementary school and had "lunchroom duty." Imagine the looks I'd get along the trail when I stopped for a meal and pulled one snack bag after another from my food bag. Other hikers thought I was living on chips and were so surprised when the bag would have spaghetti, beef stew, etc.

#179496 - 08/28/13 11:56 PM Re: Plastic lined paper bags for rehydrating meals? [Re: CamperMom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You can find small quantities of little plastic bags of any size at a craft store like Michael's, usually in the bead section. I use little tiny ones for salt and spices.

I don't know what the deal is with hot water and freezer bags. Freezer bags were designed to hold food that has been blanched in boiling water and then placed directly in the bags. By the time you get the pot of boiling water off the stove and pour the water first into a cup and then into the freezer bag, the water is no longer anywhere near 212*F even at sea level. Certainly not at 5,000 feet elevation where I was the last two nights! It will be about the same temperature as the blanched veggies you are preparing for your freezer.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/29/13 12:07 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum