Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179315 - 08/20/13 11:37 AM Walmart "Outdoor Fabric" for MYOG Daypack?
Roach_ Offline

Hi Everyone,
I'm in need of a daypack or overnight pack that'll double as a pack for carrying my books to school on my bike.
Last time I was looking at fabric at Walmart, I saw they had a material labeled "outdoor material". I believe it's pro-tuff PVC coated polyester, 25% polyester, 75% PVC. It weighs 20 ounces per yard, but I'm not worried about weight for a daypack. I know Xpac is less than half the weight, but is around $17/yard plus shipping and there's also Cordura 1000 for around $11/yard. I think the pro-tuff was $5/yard.. I was just wondering if anyone had used this before and how it held up?
Thank you!
Scott

Edit: I just had an idea to use the Walmart backpacking tarp to make a pack. It would be much lighter than the pro-tuff fabric. Would this be strong enough for a pack?

Edited by Roach_ (08/20/13 11:58 AM)

#179334 - 08/20/13 06:00 PM Re: Walmart "Outdoor Fabric" for MYOG Daypack? [Re: Roach_]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Not for carrying books in.

#179341 - 08/21/13 09:22 AM Re: Walmart "Outdoor Fabric" for MYOG Daypack? [Re: Roach_]
lori Offline

"a daypack or overnight pack" - pick one. Overnight packs have different needs and therefore different features.

You *could* use the same pack for all three tasks, but you're going to find it will only work well for one.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179349 - 08/21/13 08:06 PM Re: Walmart "Outdoor Fabric" for MYOG Daypack? [Re: Roach_]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Honestly, buy a book bag...from Walmart. I use one (jansport, i think, recycled from my kids school stuff), striped down for day hiking, motorcycling, bicycling, etc. You can remove a lot of weight by cutting out dividers, and all the extra bling you won't use. The material is ballistic nylon and made for rough use. You can't make it as cheap as you can buy it. Since school is starting, you'll find them on sale all over the place. And...properly gutted, you can make a dandy day ruck sack from a book bag and might even get a couple nights out of it.

#179378 - 08/23/13 04:34 PM Re: Walmart "Outdoor Fabric" for MYOG Daypack? [Re: Roach_]
Roach_ Offline

Thank for the advice everyone.
Maybe I'll make pack just for cycling. I was using a regular backpack, but I'm riding 40-50 miles a day and it's tough on my shoulders. You wouldn't think it would be so bad, since you're hunched over, so more of the weight is on your back than your shoulders, but it is. I was hoping I could make something with wider more comfortable straps and maybe a hip strap. I also need quite a bit of space for my laptop, books, change of shoes, water, lunch and change of clothes.
With my old bike I had a rack and panniers, but that isn't an option with a carbon fiber frame..
I might still try making an overnight pack that I can also use for school. I'll probably use the "outdoor fabric" unless anyone has had any bad experiences with it.

Edited by Roach_ (08/23/13 04:39 PM)

#179429 - 08/26/13 09:27 AM Re: Walmart "Outdoor Fabric" for MYOG Daypack? [Re: Roach_]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Get a rack that attaches to the seat post only. Then you can put the heavy books on that.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum