Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179261 - 08/19/13 02:58 AM First solo trip
Ryan #28 Offline

Hey there folks. I'm a bit of a newbie around here so forgive me if I break any unwritten rules or anything. ANY advice is appreciated.

In about 12 months (early august) I'm planning a 2 week long hike from my hometown to a national forest roughly 90 miles away. I plan on the trip itself taking 3-4 days there and another 3-4 back. I plan on being the only one to do this trip.

I'm not new to backpacking or hiking long distances, I'm an eagle scout and spent quite a bit of time in the back country. The longest I've spent under the stars was 8 nights in a row, so this will be a new experience for me.

I have a very basic grip on what to be bringing, but I would like some ideas I have an external frame backpack that I've used for roughly 7 years now. If you were going on this trip, what would you recommend?

Thanks a ton in advance guys.

#179264 - 08/19/13 06:08 AM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Is this trip on roads or is it on backcountry trails? Where will you be sleeping? Campsites, trailside, motels? Equipment and advise will vary depending on conditions.

Edited by GrumpyGord (08/19/13 06:11 AM)

#179265 - 08/19/13 06:37 AM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
It would help to know where you're going and what your current set of gear is. My guess is that you'll get lots of helpful advice about your destination, and a lot of tips on how to lighten your load/upgrade equipment.

Regarding equipment, I'd offer one general thought. If you've been using what you've got for a while, and it's not worn out, don't rush to change your gear. You say you have significant experience, so clearly what you have works for you and you don't find it horribly burdensome to carry - so there's no compelling reason to change it out.

Having said that, I won't deny that trying out new gear is a pleasure all its own - I'm not sure a 6 or 8 day trip is the time to do it.

#179270 - 08/19/13 12:39 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: GrumpyGord]
Ryan #28 Offline

Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
Is this trip on roads or is it on backcountry trails? Where will you be sleeping? Campsites, trailside, motels? Equipment and advise will vary depending on conditions.

Backcountry trails to and from, and medium density woods. Im from wisconsin so im expecting anywhere from 40-80 for the temperature. Sleeping will be trailside for the trip, but once I'm at my destination it will be riverside.

Sorry for not having details.

#179271 - 08/19/13 01:13 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Ryan #28 Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
It would help to know where you're going and what your current set of gear is. My guess is that you'll get lots of helpful advice about your destination, and a lot of tips on how to lighten your load/upgrade equipment.

Regarding equipment, I'd offer one general thought. If you've been using what you've got for a while, and it's not worn out, don't rush to change your gear. You say you have significant experience, so clearly what you have works for you and you don't find it horribly burdensome to carry - so there's no compelling reason to change it out.

Having said that, I won't deny that trying out new gear is a pleasure all its own - I'm not sure a 6 or 8 day trip is the time to do it.

Im kind of hoping to revamp my gear since i've really never done this. I've always had another person to split loads with. and those trips have only been 2-3 days.
This is roughly what I'm planning on for gear (so far)

-2 day clothing supply
-compact hammock (insulated with ziptop, weighs roughly 10 pounds with the rigging )
-rope, 5/16 Manilla (2 pounds worth)
-fishing tackle (2 pounds)
-MSR Superfly campstove
-map and compass
-SOG Tomahawk (2 pounds)
-Pocket knife, zippo blu lighter
-3 trash bags for waterproofing
-bear canister
-baggy of pixie dust for fire (gasoline soaked sawdust, 1 pound)

That's the basics that I know are what I'm bringing. I prefer hammock over a tent simply because of the environmental impact.

Food and cookware is what I'm lost on. I am quite good at catching fish on the Wolf River where I am headed, so I planned on catching and cleaning while I'm up there.

Also worth mentioning that part of my trail will run past a gas station in case of last minute needs.

As far as navigation, a map and compass will do I think. I have a small flip phone for any communication needs or emergencies.

Any advice for food, cookware, additions or subtractions is more then welcome.

#179273 - 08/19/13 01:36 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
You can definitely get a lighter hammock setup with tarps, suspensions, insulation, etc. My hammock setup is at 2.6 pounds not counting the insulation. Insulation consist of sleep pad, and top quilt or sleeping bag. With insulation it still not breaking 5 pounds. I can still go a lot lighter once I upgrade hammock, by the time I do it will weight around 26 ounces? Warbonnet is the hammock I'm looking at getting.

Also, I never heard of anyone carrying gasoline soaked saw dust..... Is it legal to burn gasoline soaked materials in a national forest? Probably be easier/less volatile and less smelly to carry fuel tabs, Vaseline soaked cotton balls, etc.

Edited by ETSU Pride (08/19/13 01:39 PM)

#179276 - 08/19/13 02:25 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: ETSU Pride]
Ryan #28 Offline

Thanks, I'll look into that. It is definitely the largest bit of gear in my pack.

In response to the gasoline soaked materials, it is illegal in the nicolet national forest, however it is more of an emergency tool than anything. The destination is actually a bit of land that is owned by the BSA and I have already spoken with the camp ranger and gotten most of this cleared. For me, it is more about the journey than the destination.

Edited by Ryan #28 (08/19/13 02:27 PM)

#179278 - 08/19/13 02:33 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By Ryan #28
I have a very basic grip on what to be bringing, but I would like some ideas I have an external frame backpack that I've used for roughly 7 years now. If you were going on this trip, what would you recommend?
I take the same gear on every 3-season trip regardless of duration. The only thing I may vary is my sleep clothing thickness, which doubles as my insulation layer if necessary.

You may find my paper useful reading perhaps.

I'm curious what the (heavy) rope and tomahawk are for?

#179279 - 08/19/13 02:39 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: topshot]
Ryan #28 Offline

The rope is for general use, I find that a good length of rope will help in nearly any situation. The tomahawk I've brought with on nearly excursion, and I find it useful for choppin up bits of wood and hammering things. That one is a bit more of a personal item than anything.

#179282 - 08/19/13 05:16 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Ok--well, you may choose these things as "personal items" but most of us here like the idea of traveling light. And right off the bat I'll bet that your pack is a lot heavier than most of ours.

You might try weighing all this stuff and seeing how much the total weighs--I think you might be surprised. My wife and I did an 8 day trip earlier this year in the High Sierra, with a much larger temperature range that you are likely to see. Our packs, combined, did not weigh sixty pounds.

If it were me, I would leave the rope, the pixie dust (you're an Eagle Scout right? You should be able to make a fire with a single match...) the tomahawk and go with a simpler hammock system and leave about five-8 pounds at home.

My wife and I have a tent, two sleeping pads, and two sleeping bags, and the total is under tens pounds. Instead of heavy rope, 50 feet of paracord. No Tomahawk, just a decent small knife.

You can choose to take all these items...but in the last ten years of backpacking, I have never wished I had that much rope, firestarter, tomahawk, or a heavier sleeping system.

Edited by balzaccom (08/19/13 05:19 PM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#179285 - 08/19/13 05:41 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Does your hammock include the weight of a sleeping bag (or quilt)? If not, are you taking one (it's not shown separately on your list.)

I concur with the general idea to lighten up, but, if you want the tomahawk and rope, that's your decision.

#179287 - 08/19/13 06:15 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Ryan #28 Offline

Alright so the rope is unnecessary got it. I will go with the paracord instead. I can ditch the pixie dust. I will weigh everything out tonight and get back to you. Last trip I went on it was 41.3 lbs.

The hammock is a homemade one, and that includes a sewn in quilt that I've found to be perfect for august conditions.

Edited by Ryan #28 (08/19/13 06:16 PM)

#179298 - 08/19/13 08:47 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: balzaccom]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Like Balzaccom, my total pack weight with 7 days of food in the Rockies is about 25 lbs.

#179302 - 08/19/13 10:01 PM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Are you uncomfortable carrying 40 or 45 pounds for the number of hours and miles you want to hike in a day? Are you exhausted at the end of that hike? If the answer is "no," and you like the way your quilt and hammock work, then don't let us talk you out of it.

Are there lighter options? Yes.
Would most of us choose those options? Yes.
Does that mean you must make the same choices we would? No.

#179342 - 08/21/13 09:26 AM Re: First solo trip [Re: Ryan #28]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Ryan #28
Alright so the rope is unnecessary got it. I will go with the paracord instead. I can ditch the pixie dust. I will weigh everything out tonight and get back to you. Last trip I went on it was 41.3 lbs.

The hammock is a homemade one, and that includes a sewn in quilt that I've found to be perfect for august conditions.

You need to go to hammock forums or one of the online hammock vendors, or read the Ultimate Hang (available at amazon). Paracord is NOT going to work for a number of reasons - you're putting more than 700 lbs of pressure on a hammock suspension, and that will either streeeeetttttttch (it's nylon, and never stops stretching) or snap.

There are PLENTY of other ways to hammock without hurting yourself.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179343 - 08/21/13 09:36 AM Re: First solo trip [Re: lori]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Lori--I don't think he was bringing the rope for the hammock. He had fifty feet of it on his list.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum