Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177934 - 06/19/13 07:37 PM Where do you eat when it's raining?
nelamvr6 Offline

I'm just starting to get into backpacking, and I'm learning a lot, thanks a lot to this forum.

One of the things I've learned is about the 100 yard triangle for bear safety.

But a question occurs to me: What do you do if it's raining for long periods of time? I can see setting up a kitchen tent 100 yards away from your sleeping tent if you're car camping, but what about when it's just you and your small tent in the back country?

Where do you cook / eat?

#177935 - 06/19/13 08:40 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We cook in the vvestibule of the tent...and eat in the tent as well.

Admittedly, we've had to do this once in the last seven years...because it doesn't rain that much in the Sierra, and when it does, it's usually between 2 and 5 in the afternoon...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#177940 - 06/19/13 10:08 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: balzaccom]
nelamvr6 Offline

I take it you have to be especially careful to avoid spills, but won't the smell of food linger? Do you still hang your smellables away from the tent?

I guess there aren't many options, huh?

I will likely do most of my backpacking in the northeast, probably in the Adirondacks, so I won't have to worry about grizzlies. But there are plenty of black bears in the Adirondacks.

Thanks for the info, I really am a raw newb, so everything is really new to me.

#177943 - 06/20/13 12:39 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
lori Offline

I "cook" aka boil water and rehydrate food in the rain. If I have a poncho it makes a good kitchen shelter. No sense in polluting the tent with smells... we often camp where there are mice, raccoons or other small creatures that gnaw.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#177944 - 06/20/13 12:51 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Rarely cook when backpacking so, rain doesn't matter. Unless it's raining constantly, daily, I'll skip cooking if rain starts.
If I were to cook in the rain, it would be under my hammock rain fly, pitched low to the ground, but high enough to sit up. Less splash/wind that way.

#177946 - 06/20/13 06:30 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
This is actually a question about trip planning.

If the forecast calls for a small chance of scattered showers, you would either wait till the shower ended, then cook as usual, or you could eat tomorrow's lunch for supper, then eat supper the next day (perhaps as breakfast, or as lunch.)

If your forecast calls for continual rain, and you choose to go anyhow (or if it calls for a day or two of pretty solid rain during a weeklong trip), you would simply add a tarp to your gear for that trip, and pitch it wherever you wanted the kitchen. The size would depend on how many of you were going; 8x10 or 10x12 is usually sufficient for 2 or 3 people (without overcrowding.) Silnylon tarps aren't prohibitively heavy or crushingly expensive. A tarp has the additional advantage of giving you a dry place to eat lunch on the trail.

#177953 - 06/20/13 02:39 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I never cook in the tent or vestibule. I tend to spill stuff and I have actually blown up a stove before, so for safety reasons, I am away from the tent. I have usually found some relatively dry spots under trees if I have to eat when it is raining. A few times I have eaten in the tent (after everything was cooked). But I inevitably spill food so I rarely do this.

#177956 - 06/20/13 03:50 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
This is actually a question about trip planning.

I agree with this. However, I tend to go out for long trips and it isn't always possible to plan equipment from a weather forecast, so I've had to improvise responses to wet weather.

Like wandering daisy, I do not ever cook in my tent or vestibule. I wait for a break in the weather. If that doesn't work, I seek a sheltered spot under tree cover. If that doesn't work, I will consider substituting a non-cooked meal for a cooked one and adjust my future meals accordingly.

As for eating in my tent, I avoid it, too. Eating a Clif bar or handful of trail mix in my tent as I wait out a rain shower seems admissible to me. Eating a steaming supper full of delicious aromas is over the line and I don't ever do that.

#177958 - 06/20/13 05:21 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: aimless]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
nelamvr6,

I spend a majority of my time in the Adirondacks. The bears up here are quite adept at figuring out hung food, especially in the popular areas. They are also creatures of habit and will visit the areas which have been fruitful. Again these are the high use areas. The problem with the distance issue in the high use areas is your sleeping spot was likely someone else's dinner spot the night before. Lastly, they are hunted and thus have a healthy fear of man. So all in all, if you keep a clean camp and avoid the high use areas you will probably never see a bear of ever have an issue. I would still store your food properly at night. In the EHPZ, hard sided bear canisters are required. I would also use them in other high use areas such as near state campgrounds. In the more back country areas, a properly hung bag or an ursack is sufficient. Like others I don't worry about eating that far away from my camp during long term rain. And like others I am usually not making the most elaborate meals at that time either.

#177975 - 06/21/13 08:59 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
A 10oz tarp comes in handy in this situation. If you're paranoid about critters sniffing around the tent, a tarp in location away from tent will work! I've done this before in Virgina Highland. Someone in the group bought a large tarp for all us to gather under while it storm. Then when it came time to sleep we went to our own shelters.

#177984 - 06/21/13 05:10 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I don't think I'd worry much about it. I looked into it and you aren't at all likely to get killed by a bear in the wilds of New York. It's only happened once since the 1870s there. (source)

Here in Missouri and Arkansas no one has been killed by a wild black bear in all those years.

"You want to go where?"

#177985 - 06/21/13 06:06 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Online   content

I don't worry that a bear will invade my tent and eat me if I were to cook in the vestibule. It's more that I don't want to attract a bear to my campsite for any reason. Over and above that, I don't want a bear investigating my tent for food whether I am in it or not. There's no good can come of that, even if what does come of it would certainly fall far short of my death at the paws and jaws of a bloodthirsty bruin.

#177987 - 06/21/13 09:13 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'm not making light of the danger, but facts do help put the risks into perspective and the odds of being attacked are really very low and that is worth noting.

It's also worth noting that most black bear attacks do not result in serious injury.

The odds of being attacked decrease a lot when you're away from campgrounds where bears are known to hangout, decrease even more if you're not feeding them at those hangouts, and even more again if you're not alone.

The odds of you being with a group and getting attacked while backpacking are almost nil. I have never heard of it happening here in the Ozarks or Ouchitas.

I could not find any statistics for New York on attacks, but I did find only one death recorded in all those years 140 years that records have been kept. More people have actually been killed by Polar Bears in zoos in New York than by wild black bears during those years.

I don't think any of the members here have been attacked by a black bear. W_D has chased more than a few off, but she wanders around where there's lots of them and they're a lot more accustom to seeing people who aren't shooting at them all the time.

I could be wrong, but I can't find anything that indicates there's even a moderate risk of getting attacked by a bear in New York. It looks to me like the risk is almost nonexistent.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't take normal precautions, I just wouldn't worry about it much.

"You want to go where?"

#177988 - 06/21/13 09:25 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Online   content

I don't think any of the members here have been attacked by a black bear.

True. But I have been very unsettled by a tiny bear cub that walked out into the trail directly in front of me and fell over. shocked

I didn't stop to inquire if it was okay. I removed myself from its vicinity. The mama bear made no appearance to check my credentials. Yet, I am still rather happy about it, even if she was a fairly casual parent. grin

#177992 - 06/22/13 12:04 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: DTape]
nelamvr6 Offline

Originally Posted By DTape
nelamvr6,

I spend a majority of my time in the Adirondacks. The bears up here are quite adept at figuring out hung food, especially in the popular areas. They are also creatures of habit and will visit the areas which have been fruitful. Again these are the high use areas. The problem with the distance issue in the high use areas is your sleeping spot was likely someone else's dinner spot the night before. Lastly, they are hunted and thus have a healthy fear of man. So all in all, if you keep a clean camp and avoid the high use areas you will probably never see a bear of ever have an issue. I would still store your food properly at night. In the EHPZ, hard sided bear canisters are required. I would also use them in other high use areas such as near state campgrounds. In the more back country areas, a properly hung bag or an ursack is sufficient. Like others I don't worry about eating that far away from my camp during long term rain. And like others I am usually not making the most elaborate meals at that time either.

Please forgive my ignorance, what is the "EHPZ"?

#177993 - 06/22/13 12:07 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
nelamvr6 Offline

Thanks for all the info guys, this really helps!

#178008 - 06/23/13 12:48 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: DTape]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I camped at Blue Mountain Lake and there were camp bears everywhere. I used a bear can tied to a tree and cooked my food over by the nice people who were always screaming and letting their kids run loose..Long Lake and Tupper Lake I had no problems at those so cooked in the vestibule..

#178009 - 06/23/13 12:53 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
eastern high peaks zone

#178010 - 06/23/13 06:57 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: anicinabe]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Yes, EHPZ is the Eastern High Peaks Zone. Thanks anicinabe.

Blue Mt Lake, especially the State campground areas get a lot of bear activity. If I were a bear, those are places I would go for an easy meal too.

#178033 - 06/25/13 04:00 PM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
nelamvr6,

I tend to camp alone and away from regular campsites (except on the AT (it's not really practical when thru-hiking).

I have never been compulsive about The Triangle and never been bothered (by critters).

I don't use a tent, so no cooking in the vestibule. Like others, I will often switch to cold food in case of serious rain. My poncho is also my shelter, and I carry rain gear to boot, so if I really want to cook, and the rain's not too serious, I just find a nice large tree, twenty five or thirty yards from camp and sit under it to boil water and eat.

I try to keep food off my clothes, but again, I'm not compulsive about it. On the AT, I eat right at the shelter like everyone else (since it's already as contminated is it can get).

Best, jcp

Edited by JPete (06/25/13 04:01 PM)

#178210 - 07/05/13 10:13 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: aimless]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By aimless
[i]

Like wandering daisy, I do not ever cook in my tent or vestibule. I wait for a break in the weather. If that doesn't work, I seek a sheltered spot under tree cover. If that doesn't work, I will consider substituting a non-cooked meal for a cooked one and adjust my future meals accordingly.

This is pretty close to what I do. Most of the time, I have been able to find somewhat dry spots under trees. Dry enough to cook. I also have a tarp, so setting that up isn't a problem. An umbrella is also helpful here.

#178518 - 07/18/13 11:03 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
rlarsen86 Offline

I am probably Like a lot of people I carry a tarp wherever I go and camp in an area that has trees so I can hang the tarp up above my tent and have an area to sit out of the rain so I can sit and use a camping stove to eat.

#179074 - 08/11/13 03:01 AM Re: Where do you eat when it's raining? [Re: nelamvr6]
peacock Offline

Tarp strung between trees. Serves as shelter for everyone during down time, so you don't have to spend an entire rainy afternoon/evening stuck in a tent, which is kind of a drag.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum