Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179041 - 08/09/13 12:18 PM UV Water Treatment
Mero Offline

Never heard of these til recently, do they work well?

#179045 - 08/09/13 01:12 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: Mero]
lori Offline

When they work... I tend not to invest in things that result in people coming to me for help when the item fails on the trail. There is a short list of items on my "do not waste money" list. The steri pen is on it. What would the hikers with failing battery operated devices do if I didn't always have a filter handy for them to borrow?

Of course, that is just my (frequent) experience.....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179046 - 08/09/13 01:43 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I took a SteriPen for one trip a few years ago and then returned it to REI. In fact, after one day, I put the thing back in the pack and used my backup Katadyn MicroPur tablets. The switch was too stiff for my fingers and, once I got it on, the UV lamp cycles kept aborting before they were finished. And that was with my electrical engineer son at streamside with me carefully reading the directions!

If you must use it, be sure to take extra batteries and a backup method of some sort!

By the time you add up the weight of the SteriPen, extra batteries and the required wide-mouth water bottle, you're far better off to take a Sawyer Squeeze.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/09/13 01:46 PM)

#179048 - 08/09/13 02:09 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'm with Lori and OM on this one even though I have used a Steripen for four trouble free years. Over the years I have become increasingly wary of electronic gear in the backcountry. When something electronic goes sour there is not much that can be done to fix it. Mechanical stuff, on the other hand, may possibly be repaired in the field. The Steripen, spare batteries and a wide-mouthed stirring bottle can actually weigh more than does the Sawyer Squeeze. And, the Squeeze can be used as an unattended gravity filter; the Steripen requires you to kneel on the ground and stir water one liter at a time.

#179055 - 08/09/13 06:17 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: Pika]
Mero Offline

I think Ive heard enough heh.

Thanks guys.

#179125 - 08/12/13 07:19 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: Mero]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
One caveat - if you need to kill viruses (which shouldn't generally be the case in North America), then most filters including the Sawyer Squeeze will be lacking. The SteriPen will, however, kill viruses.

Late last month I took a group of 11 backpacking and climbing in Colorado. I brought my Sawyer Squeeze and someone else brought a SteriPen. There were also a couple of pump filters. I didn't bring my SteriPen since we had such a large group and feel it is better suited for one or two.

Well the battery turned out to be low in the SteriPen and he did not have a replacement, so it was a door stop for the trip. I had set up the Sawyer as a gravity filter and it really got a workout such that it had to be cleaned several times with the gunk that was tried to put through it. The pump filters didn't seem to be much of a favorite as evidenced by only being used by their owners and not all the time it appeared.

#179128 - 08/12/13 09:36 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: ndsol]
lori Offline

To be accurate, UV doesn't kill a darn thing. It scrambles the DNA of the organisms in the water, so they can't breed to critical mass in your gut and cause you to become ill.

I take a pump filter with a good prefilter for areas likely to have murky sources. When water is relatively clear, out comes the lighter, more multi-purpose gravity filter.

#179133 - 08/12/13 10:58 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: lori]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By lori
To be accurate, UV doesn't kill a darn thing. It scrambles the DNA of the organisms in the water, so they can't breed to critical mass in your gut and cause you to become ill.

At certain wavelengths UV is mutagenic to bacteria, viruses and other micro-organisms. At a wavelength of 2,537 Angstroms (254 nm), UV will break the molecular bonds within micro-organismal DNA, producing thymine dimers in their DNA thereby destroying them, rendering them harmless, or prohibiting growth and reproduction.

Edited by ndsol (08/12/13 10:58 PM)

#179654 - 09/10/13 02:12 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: Mero]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Never heard of these til recently, do they work well?”
Incredibly well. The steripen is awesome. I know of no quicker way to filter.

“I tend not to invest in things that result in people coming to me for help when the item fails on the trail.”

These are old steripens that have now been improved for years --- if bought at a legitimate store. The buttons are easy to push.
Also, people fail to read directions. The most common error is people push the button when the steripen is IN the water. The button is to be pushed BEFORE water insertion.

“The Steripen, spare batteries and a wide-mouthed stirring bottle can actually weigh more than does the Sawyer Squeeze.”

It depends on priorities. If you’re tired of screwing, unscrewing, connecting, squeezing, disconnecting, then steripen is easiest. Also, if you let the Squeeze dry out, it takes considerable amount of time just to get it going like it once did--- which is almost impossible on the trail. Keep the Squeeze damp and its new weight (4oz) is heavier than a steripen (3.6oz w/ batteries). Also the steripen will disable viruses and deals with icy water with no problems!

“ the Steripen requires you to kneel on the ground and stir water one liter at a time.”

I guess you could do that. Lately I’ve been walking and stirring.

“When something electronic goes sour there is not much that can be done to fix it.”

This is true for mechanical filters also. They can go sour. Bring chlorine dioxide tablets for backup; it’s only a few grams--- just got to wait 30 minutes to 4 hours.

I carry my opti on my belt and the bag in the side of the backpack. So it’s extremely easy to stop, fill, stir, and drink every couple of hours. The filter people need time to assemble, reassemble, and dissemble. So for speed, steripen is the fastest. You can even stir while walking! Get those 30 miles in. It feels great.

-The mountains were made for Tevas
-Barry

#179655 - 09/10/13 03:20 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: BarryP]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP

“I tend not to invest in things that result in people coming to me for help when the item fails on the trail.”

These are old steripens that have now been improved for years --- if bought at a legitimate store. The buttons are easy to push.
Also, people fail to read directions. The most common error is people push the button when the steripen is IN the water. The button is to be pushed BEFORE water insertion.

Uh, no. Those are recently purchased ones. I'm not alone in my bias, either, and pretty much done with 'em. About half the folks I've talked to (hiking groups total in the hundreds) who have tried them returned them and got filters due to failure.

#179660 - 09/11/13 03:44 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: lori]
BarryP Offline

“About half the folks I've talked to (hiking groups total in the hundreds) who have tried them returned them and got filters due to failure.”

This is extremely ironic. Over the past 2 years, I’ve met several people out in the backcountry with steripens. ALL of them love them. In my questioning NONE had a bonafide failure (changing batteries is not a failure).

The only hiccups I’ve seen is when someone pushed the button AFTER the steripen is inserted in the water.

There are always downsides to any water purification technique. We know there are several backountry Squeeze failures out there. So I always suggest letting people try both methods. I’ve used filters the longest. But since I’ve been in these here Rockies, steripens have been the fastest and easiest.

Plus with most filters (except First Need) you’ll never know if nasty’s are coming through (because of a broken cartridge). With the steripen you can at least see the byproduct of UVC light.

I shouldn’t say ‘never’. The filter cartridge can be checked by sending it off to some EPA-registered university.

Another steripen bonus is NO MAINTENANCE. NO PRIMING. All filters require religious maintenance to make sure they work the day you want them to.

Filter and steripen tip of the day: Use CLEAR bags-- not DARK bags-- for dirty water. Then you can see if you accidentally picked up gunk.

Steripens are very reliable. No bias here wink But I should likewise say First Need is also very reliable.

-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

#179662 - 09/11/13 08:33 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: BarryP]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Barry, my experience with Steripen pretty much parallels yours. In my experience, most of the issues with failure to operate stem from pushing the button after the electrodes are immersed. Most other failures are related to using low quality or rechargeable batteries. I have fixed several Sterpen failures in the field by simply telling the owner to push the button and then immerse and stir. A couple of failures were fixed by swapping a brand-X battery with quality lithium cells. But, for long trips or for trips where I expect poor, dirty water, I prefer a pre-filter and/or filter and/or Micropur approach to the Steripen.

I have heard a lot of anecdotal tales of really high failure rates for Steripen units. I have never seen any hard data to back these tales. I suspect that if Steripen was as lousy as some claim, the company would have long since folded. Sure, there are some legitimate failures but IMO, most operational problems result from not reading the instructions. I know that this caused all the problems I had with Steripens.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will take untested equipment such as tents, stoves, GPS units and, yes, Steripens into the field; have them fail due to ignorance and then come back and complain about the gear while forgetting their contribution to the mess.

Edited by Pika (09/11/13 08:37 PM)

#179663 - 09/11/13 08:46 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: Pika]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
My UV experience is mostly with the UV Aquastar. Have also used the MUV and the Steripen...uh, the two-battery skinny one.

Even though it's bulky and susceptible to breakage, the first is the easiest to use because you agitate the water by inverting the whole container instead of stirring, stirring, stirring. Of the three, only the MUV failed (I returned three). So from my sample of N=1 I have no qualms about Steripen. I've just decided I prefer gravity filtering.

Cheers,

#179677 - 09/12/13 03:16 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: Pika]
BarryP Offline

“…trips where I expect poor, dirty water, I prefer a pre-filter and/or filter and/or Micropur approach to the Steripen.”

Yep, that’s the downside of UV; I might be able to sterilize tannin water (up to clarity of lemon aid), but psychologically I can’t drink it.

“It never ceases to amaze me that people will take untested equipment such as tents, stoves, GPS units and, yes, Steripens into the field; have them fail due to ignorance and then come back and complain about the gear while forgetting their contribution to the mess.”

I don’t know why that made me laugh, but +1!

Thanx,
-Barry

#179754 - 09/17/13 10:25 PM Re: UV Water Treatment [Re: Mero]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
My experience with the Steripen is limited to 2-3 trips, but it's similar to what Pika and Barry report. I have the Adventurer Opti model which has an optical water sensor instead of electrodes. This avoids the problem of some of the older models which couldn't detect being immersed in water if the dissolved solids were too low to detect using electric current.

Except, when I first purchased it and tested it at home, the UV light seemed dimmer than what I expected from photos and videos even with the room lights very dim. That's very subjective, but from my experience with photography, I could tell that the UV light was 1-2 stops dimmer than it should be. Then, someone on another forum reported noticing this and sending it to the manufacturer for testing. It had a bad bulb which was not emitting enough UV light to perform its intended function! The manufacturer sent a replacement unit. After reading that, I took it on a trip anyway because it was a winter trip in Michigan's UP which would be mostly 20F and below, and that's not the place for my Sawyer Squeeze filter. I didn't get sick, except for a mild case of diarrhea which may have been Giardia, or unrelated to the water I drank. I sometimes drink unfiltered water anyway, so no big deal. I did stay hydrated mostly by eating snow because access to flowing water was infrequent due to 4 feet of snow.

Anyway, after the trip, I sent my Steripen Adventurer in for testing, and it had a defective bulb too. I was sent a new unit with a bulb which is clearly brighter. A dimmer than normal bulb is something one of the quality assurance testers would've spotted easily. It's not clear if the bulb was made defective, or if it became that way during shipping. I like the Steripen, but I also have plenty of doubts. I usually hike in places where I drink carefully selected water unfiltered/untreated sometimes, and I just view the Steripen as optional insurance in case I need to drink from a more questionable source.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum