Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178804 - 07/31/13 09:56 PM first camping trip and hike with my wife.
tkanscholl Offline

Loc: Se MO
Me and my wife finished up our first camping trip including a 2 mile hike through the hills of Johnson shut ins state park in mo. yeah me and her definately need to get better outfitted and in better shape before we go for any heavy backpacking trips.

#178805 - 07/31/13 10:44 PM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: tkanscholl]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Sounds like you started out right: being aware of your limits, and doing something well within them in order to assess your abilities and needs (both in terms of conditioning and gear.) You forgot to give us the most important piece of information: did you have enough fun that you are reasonably enthusiastic about going out again? (Gearing up is details - and there are a bunch of us here who take great delight in sharing those details with you!)

Ask lots of questions, and we'll all try to help.

#178829 - 08/01/13 11:14 AM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: Glenn Roberts]
tkanscholl Offline

Yeah i had fun. my wife said she did too.
We have plans to do another camping trip in a couple of months outfitted like we were backpacking. to see how the food choices and gear we have work out.
Yeah the weekend was interesting first day raining the next 2 cold at night. and we were only set up for occasional rain and mild temps. We arent going to do that again.

Edited by tkanscholl (08/01/13 11:17 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot the rest of a sentence

#178868 - 08/02/13 10:02 PM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: tkanscholl]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By tkanscholl
yeah me and her definately need to get better outfitted and in better shape before we go for any heavy backpacking trips.
The key here is not to go heavy! wink

You can stay reasonably light even on a budget.

#178877 - 08/02/13 11:43 PM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: topshot]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Have you read the articles and gear lists on the home page of this site, left-hand column?

#178887 - 08/03/13 11:18 PM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: tkanscholl]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
My neighbor used to live near Johnson Shut Ins. I haven't been yet but he's said it's pretty sweet.

We did have a cool spell there a few days ago so I'm guessing that's when you went. After my first couple Summer excursions into our forests I decided to wait until late October to start my backpacking season. The last week has always been pretty much bug free, so that's when I start.

The main thing to remember about backpacking the Ozarks is that most all our miles here are pretty tough compared to most other places you might go in the U.S. Aparently Ozarkers either never heard of, or just don't like, switchbacks, so your either on a ridge or going straight up or down our steep hills. It's mostly up, as I'm sure you noticed.

I like to keep my trip plans under 6 miles a day, and quite often I'll do just half of that. That way I can take my time and rest a lot and enjoy the great views and super scenic spots we have here. You'll be surprised at how fast your legs and lungs will build up. If you walk even a mile or two a few times a week it will make a big difference. But I assure you, if you can comfortably do 6-8 miles a day on an average Ozark hiking trail you can pretty much double that distance on trails like the AT or PCT, so don't feel bad about doing just a couple miles because those are pretty tough miles.

Beside, you can find some spectacular spots here just a couple miles from a trailhead, and have them all to yourself too, so keep at it, you'll be rewarded.

"You want to go where?"

#178949 - 08/06/13 09:00 AM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: topshot]
tkanscholl Offline

Originally Posted By topshot
Originally Posted By tkanscholl
yeah me and her definately need to get better outfitted and in better shape before we go for any heavy backpacking trips.
The key here is not to go heavy! wink

You can stay reasonably light even on a budget.

sorry what i meant was long backpacking trips. I don't plan on packing everything but the kitchen sink.
Going to work with my dehydrator to make our food. I have heard that will lighten the load.

#178950 - 08/06/13 09:05 AM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: OregonMouse]
tkanscholl Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Have you read the articles and gear lists on the home page of this site, left-hand column?

I had a list i worked off of. But we made some decisions in regard to money and gear. For example we borrowed an airmatress but didn't attempt to set it up before we went. When we were setting up found out that the airmatress was bigger than our tent.
And because it was summer and i didn't think that it would turn extremely chilly we just had one sleeping bag to lay down on and i only brought a sheet.
lol now i know better

#178951 - 08/06/13 09:12 AM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: billstephenson]
tkanscholl Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
My neighbor used to live near Johnson Shut Ins. I haven't been yet but he's said it's pretty sweet.

We did have a cool spell there a few days ago so I'm guessing that's when you went. After my first couple Summer excursions into our forests I decided to wait until late October to start my backpacking season. The last week has always been pretty much bug free, so that's when I start.

The main thing to remember about backpacking the Ozarks is that most all our miles here are pretty tough compared to most other places you might go in the U.S. Aparently Ozarkers either never heard of, or just don't like, switchbacks, so your either on a ridge or going straight up or down our steep hills. It's mostly up, as I'm sure you noticed.

I like to keep my trip plans under 6 miles a day, and quite often I'll do just half of that. That way I can take my time and rest a lot and enjoy the great views and super scenic spots we have here. You'll be surprised at how fast your legs and lungs will build up. If you walk even a mile or two a few times a week it will make a big difference. But I assure you, if you can comfortably do 6-8 miles a day on an average Ozark hiking trail you can pretty much double that distance on trails like the AT or PCT, so don't feel bad about doing just a couple miles because those are pretty tough miles.

Beside, you can find some spectacular spots here just a couple miles from a trailhead, and have them all to yourself too, so keep at it, you'll be rewarded.

oh i understand. This trail had switch backs but once you got past the cliff face. It got a lot tougher. Going up by a creek but the climb was alomst straight up a rock face.

#179072 - 08/11/13 02:41 AM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: tkanscholl]
peacock Offline

It's a great idea to go on a trip with a short hike when testing out new gear, too - not just when you're testing out your own abilities! New tent, new shoes, new backpacks -- you don't want to be too far from home when you find out it's not good. You found that out with the air mattress!

I read in a hiking book that the author never hiked more than 5 miles on her first day. She didn't explain why, though, just said that she liked to take it easy and enjoy the trip. But this is why - if your gear fails, you're only a couple hours away from the car.

I know this from experience. I have been 2 hours away from the car when I realized it was too darn cold for the stuff I brought and hypothermia was a definite possibility if we stayed the night. I have also hiked 6 hours and found out that we didn't bring tent poles.

Yeah.

It rained, too. Our tent was held together with branches, scrunchies, and shoelaces.

#179170 - 08/14/13 04:46 PM Re: first camping trip and hike with my wife. [Re: peacock]
tkanscholl Offline

Yeah. thats why we are taking it slow. I konw both me and her are out of shape and definately need to work on getting our trail legs.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum