Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178136 - 07/02/13 12:42 AM looking for gear suggestions
05kas05 Offline

looking to buy a few things and would like some suggestions / recommendations if possible. most if not all items will be used for hiking and i will be using some items for bikepacking also.

budget for listed items is 0-150.00 per item could possibly go more per item if the cost is well founded

1. water filter system/ also would like some back up tablets just in case filter system breaks.
2. trekking poles, prefer a set of collapsable poles
3. waterproof tarp for 2 8x10 green or brown or something that will blend into the surroundings better.

0-300.00 budget for items below
4.waterproof bivy

#178137 - 07/02/13 01:14 AM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: 05kas05]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By 05kas05
looking to buy a few things and would like some suggestions / recommendations if possible. most if not all items will be used for hiking and i will be using some items for bikepacking also.

budget for listed items is 0-150.00 per item could possibly go more per item if the cost is well founded

1. water filter system/ also would like some back up tablets just in case filter system breaks.
2. trekking poles, prefer a set of collapsable poles
3. waterproof tarp for 2 8x10 green or brown or something that will blend into the surroundings better.

0-300.00 budget for items below
4.waterproof bivy

Waterproof bivies are going to be as heavy or heavier than some tents. They are specific to mountaineering, where you might end up on a ledge too small for a tent. If you mean a water resistant bivy to pair with the tarp, Montbell has a fine one, very light and compact.

Collapsible poles are legion - there are ones that twist lock, flip lock, and now ones that pull apart like tent poles and fold into sections. Take your pick. If you are not using the poles for a shelter as many do, the pull-apart poles are light and portable.

Water filters - choose one that goes with the area you're in. I use a gravity filter a lot, but have a pump filter so I can wrap a bandana around the prefilter in the event I'm pulling water out of a muddy pond. Preplanning trips, one can figure out which filter to carry. All filters are about the same in terms of effectiveness.

waterproof tarps are legion. You may want one of silnylon if you are budget and weight conscious, and perhaps cuben fiber if you are not caring about budget but want the lightest out there. Blending into the surroundings is sometimes not so desirable - ask anyone who's gone out for a midnight stroll and couldn't find their tent again....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#178138 - 07/02/13 07:20 AM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Subject to what Lori said, I'd recommend:

1. Water filter: Sawyer Squeeze (2-liter system, plus some extra bottles), with two additions. First, take along something to "scoop" water with; any small-mouth bottle will not fill easily from anything but falling water. I cut the top off a 1-liter Sawyer bottle, and it works fine. Second, go to a school supply store and buy a "tornado tube" (in the science area, about $3); it's a small piece of plastic that screws onto the filter outlet, and allows you to screw a small-mouth bottle to it.

2. Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork poles.

3. Any of the silnylon tarps, in a 10x12 foot size, will be palatial for two.

4. Bivy: Integral Designs makes some good ones; the REI Minimalist is really good for the price, and really good for use with a tarp. However, for what you'd pay for a tarp and two bivies, you can buy a good two or three person tent (Big Agnes Fly Creek or Copper Spur series; MSR Hubba Hubba)) and carry less weight. I went from a tarp-and-bivy setup originally to save a couple of pounds over the then-available tents; I went back to a tent when lighter tents became available that weighed less than the tarp-and-bivy.

#178144 - 07/02/13 08:51 AM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
For the tarp, check out Wilderness Logics I have the Tad Pole and is happy with it!

#178371 - 07/12/13 11:40 AM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: 05kas05]
05kas05 Offline

thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

i picked up a sawyer squeeze a couple of outdoor research bug bivys just to keep the creepy crawlers off of us a cheap poly tarp and a walmart trekking pole.

my daughter and i went on a small hike which was about six miles out then we set up camp overnight and hiked back the next day. we both really liked the bivy and tarp set up.we started out under the tarp but in the end we put the tarp on the ground and put the bivys on top of it so we could get a better breeze and watch the stars and clouds go bye.

the sawyer squeeze worked great my daughter said the lake water we filtered tasted like it came out of the faucet so that is one less worry for me i thought she might not like it you know 8 year old kids can be picky at times, but she was sold on it and the mountain house spaghetti which she said she wouldnt eat. needless to say i went to bed hungry that night after she ate it all haha!!!
we are still on the lookout for a lightweight tarp but so far the gear we got is a good start and it gets us outdoors so thats what matters.thanks for the help and suggestions everyone

#178405 - 07/14/13 11:04 AM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: 05kas05]
bpackengneer Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I have some basic gear info on my site if it helps...

Backpacking Engineer - Gear

#178423 - 07/14/13 11:00 PM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: bpackengneer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check the articles and gear lists on the home page of this site, left-hand column.

Several of our members have excellent gear lists on their websites, including balzaccom and phat. I don't have a website, but I really should post mine somewhere!

Problem with a waterproof bivy is that your body puts out a lot of moisture (technically known as insensible perspiration) during the night, so by morning your sleeping bag will be soaked from condensation. It's better to use a breathable bivy under a tarp. This also lets you get in and out of the bivy when it's raining without getting soaked. Personally, I prefer a tent (mine weighs 1 lb., although since it's cuben fiber it was expensive!).

BTW, reflective guylines solve the problem Lori mentioned of not finding your shelter in the dark, while still blending into the landscape in the daytime. I believe in replacing all non-reflective guylines!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/14/13 11:06 PM)

#178427 - 07/15/13 06:23 AM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: 05kas05]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Sounds like you had a great trip, and the gear you had worked great for you. Keep looking for that lighter tarp, and you'll eventually find one; until then, use what you've got.

It sounds like one of the better things you did on that first trip was plan well: reasonable mileage, and good weather. Quite honestly, the shelter you have might be a bit iffy in prolonged blowing rains, in an exposed campsite. But, if you avoid those more extreme situations, it will work great. You will probably change your mind as you get more trips behind you, and you may work through three or four bivies and tarps until you find the one that's "just right," but that's OK; you just use the spare gear to get other folks out on the trail with you.

#178714 - 07/28/13 06:03 PM Re: looking for gear suggestions [Re: Glenn Roberts]
05kas05 Offline

i have been putting in some overtime so i can get that tarp im looking at either the integral designs siltarp 2 or the oware flat tarp 3.5 so if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on either one i would love to hear them.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum