Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178632 - 07/24/13 03:10 PM Favorite Meal
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I thought it would be fun to share a favorite brand or meal entree you have eaten in the backcountry. For me it was probably the Jamaican jerk chicken from Backpacker's Pantry.

#178637 - 07/24/13 06:17 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Mountain House Raspberry Crumble - we buy this by the big can and eat it year around, it is that good!

#178641 - 07/25/13 12:02 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

Chili, served over brown rice. Off the trays of my dehydrator into a bag into the bear can. Cheddar cheese stick for melting over the top is a must.

I don't do fake food.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#178643 - 07/25/13 12:24 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Mine is a recipe called "Spicy Mexican Lentils," cooked on my stove, then dehydrated and reconstituted. (Lentils do very well for this food preparation method.) Actually, I tone down the spicy part a bit (using mild salsa) since my stomach no longer tolerates highly seasoned food. Rice and sundried tomatoes go well with this dish.

Freeze-dried sawdust dinners are not for me, especially with all the artificial ingredients and extremely high sodium content. I strongly recommend reading the label before eating any of that stuff! There are freeze-dried foods without all the chemical preservatives; I especially like those from Packit Gourmet.

#178645 - 07/25/13 08:54 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By lori
Chili, served over brown rice. Off the trays of my dehydrator into a bag into the bear can. Cheddar cheese stick for melting over the top is a must.

I don't do fake food.

I had a failed attempt at dehydrating my own meal. I tried to dehydrate some chicken breasts and ended up leaving them in dehydrator a lot longer than I was suppose too. I was helping a neighbor and forgot all about my chicken dehydrating until I came home. Anyway, I tried to rehydrate with boiling water and after 10 minutes it was still hard... confused Maybe I need re-read how to do it and keep trying.

#178646 - 07/25/13 10:19 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
I have better luck with cooked shredded or ground meats for dehydrating and rehydrating. Canned tuna and shrimp do well, as well as pre-cooked mock crab and shrimp (previously frozen), and pulled BBQ pork. I'd guess that pulled/shredded chicken or beef would also do well, based on how well the BBQ pork did.

CM

#178648 - 07/25/13 11:04 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: CamperMom]

Chicken needs to be pressure cooked before dehydrating or it becomes chicken jerky or worse. In other words, start with canned chicken. Any meat needs to be in very small pieces.

Lots of dehydrating info on trailcooking.com

#178652 - 07/26/13 08:45 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Chicken needs to be pressure cooked before dehydrating or it becomes chicken jerky or worse. In other words, start with canned chicken. Any meat needs to be in very small pieces.

Lots of dehydrating info on trailcooking.com

AHHH. I grilled my chicken before dehydrating.....I see.

#178655 - 07/26/13 10:02 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

Food should be in small pieces before dehydrating, and yep, chicken does best if it's pressure cooked...

But a whole tuna casserole comes back like magic... even the little broccoli trees looked like broccoli, tasted like broccoli.... it pays to set up the dehydrator in a corner out of the way and use it to "store" leftovers, as long as you're going to be using the meals within a month or so. Some things don't completely dehydrate but will definitely be trail worthy. Spread the dish thin as you can on a tray or parchment paper and go.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#178657 - 07/26/13 10:27 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've taken frozen steak and/or "Cornish Game Hens" for the first night out lots of times. Usually bring a foil wrapped potato to toss in the coals of my campfire to go with them. Frozen breakfast burritos are great too, and they'll last a couple days in my pack if insulated well.

After that I'm using off the shelf dehydrated meals, usually Mountain House. I don't really have a favorite one of those, but they keep me from starving and keep my pack weight down. Oatmeal with dried fruit is always good for breakfast.

"You want to go where?"

#178676 - 07/26/13 04:45 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: billstephenson]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Tanya's Taqueria Carnitas Burrito, sliced like a loaf of bread and dehydrated here at home.

Heaven in a plastic bag!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#178705 - 07/28/13 12:15 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Any meal supplemented by a pan full of fried fish!

I do not have favorite meals, but do have favorite "treats"- dark chocolate, Rio coffee candies, Bengal Spice tea.

#178706 - 07/28/13 12:46 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: balzaccom]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
Now there's something I never considered - slicing and dehydrating a burrito! It DOES sound like heaven...

#178713 - 07/28/13 05:48 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: Heather-ak]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By Heather-ak
Mountain House Raspberry Crumble - we buy this by the big can and eat it year around, it is that good!

Yes, indeed!
Only improvement to be made is supplementing it with fresh wild raspberries when you are camping near some. smile

#178718 - 07/28/13 08:36 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
I have actually had a couple of reasonable freeze-dried dinners, but I've enjoyed C-rats (and found some MREs to be an improvement), so that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

These days, my favorite is couscous curry. Approximately equal proportions (for one person that's about three tablespoons) of couscous, red lentils, nuts (I use mostly cashews), and dried fruit (I use either chopped dates or chopped apricots -- a few extra calories with the dates), plus a tablespoon of your favorite curry powder. Put in a freezer bag and at dinner time add about three quarters of a cup of boiling water. Yummy.

best, jcp

#178724 - 07/29/13 12:13 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: JPete]

JPete, that curry sounds yummy--I'm going to have to try it!

#178736 - 07/29/13 01:33 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: OregonMouse]
LookinUp Offline

Loc: NE TX
One of my favorites is an avocado (yes it's heavy,but it gets eaten quickly),a couple or three salsa packets, and a couple of rice cakes. Cut the avocado in half, remove pit and in each half mash the flesh, add salsa and scoop onto a rice cake, serves 2. Pack out skin and seed. I like this on a weekend overnighter when weight isn't really an issue.

Breakfast: favorite granola, powdered rice milk, and freeze dried fruit, just add cold water.

#179758 - 09/18/13 01:02 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
LHG12 Offline

Crayfish and rice
If we are near a water source in Michigan that has crayfish that are accesable we will catch a a few (6-10 per person depending on the size) Get a decent size pot of water boiling (we use our aluminum perkalator) with a cajun spice blend, drop in your crayfish and let them boil for until they turn bright red. Add your seasoned minute rice, cover and remove from heat. In two minutes you will have a feast. Yum. My mouth is watering just thinkning about it.

#179763 - 09/18/13 09:20 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
SC Forester Offline

Loc: SC
It was once Ramen and a can of Chicken. Now I'll dehydrate some refried beans and a bunch of mild salsa (dehydrating seems to concentrate the spice IMHO)add in some cheese and a tortilla and you have a quick and easy bean burrito. I also like the Cowboy Pasta from Hawk VittleS

#181355 - 12/17/13 09:24 AM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
Robotmoose Offline

reviving a dead thread here, but a frequent favorite from my days as a young Scout just came to mind:
Wild mushroom and smoked duck risotto.
It's pretty straightforward, but the lynch pin is the smoked duck leg. In Chinese markets in SF you can find a salted smoked duck leg that's cured and shelf-stable. The other items are also off-the shelf bits, boxed risotto mix and a small handful of dried wild mushroom blend available from the bulk section of many grocery stores.
The first step is to first boil and soak the duck leg for a bit, pitch the first change of water to free up the excess salt. After that you boil it again for a few minutes, add the mushrooms and risotto mix and let it simmer for a few minutes before just letting it rest in a pot cozy.

In recent years, I've found it hard to find the duck legs so I'm in the process of learning how to cure and smoke them from home in my smoker.

#186909 - 09/01/14 03:19 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: ETSU Pride]
cocadori Offline

Loc: Montana
You'd be hard pressed to find anything better outside of Mountain House anything... but My fav's are

Beef Stroganoff
Breakfast Skillet
Raspberry Crumble
Apple Crisp

#186953 - 09/02/14 09:00 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: cocadori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Packit Gourmet. cool

#186956 - 09/02/14 09:09 PM Re: Favorite Meal [Re: cocadori]

None of which I will touch. I prefer my food without preservatives, and I have to be on a low sodium diet. YMMV, of course.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum