Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178473 - 07/16/13 01:25 PM Bag Liner
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I can't remember if this topic has been discussed on here before or not. Do bag liners such as this really add more warmth to the bag? Or they just mostly keeping human's body oil from seeping into bag?

I was thinking, if I was to take my sleeping bag (the 15 degree one) somewhere cold and the temperature would be right around the bag's comfort rating. And say the temperature drops 5 degrees below comfort rating, would a liner really boost the warmth? I wouldn't expect a 40 degree bag compared with the liner I mentioned above to keep me warm in 20 degrees weather, but a 15-20 degree comfort rating in say 10 degree weather I wondered if it could make a difference?

Edited by ETSU Pride (07/16/13 01:26 PM)

#178474 - 07/16/13 01:38 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: ETSU Pride]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I'm one of the idiots that bought one of those liners. First they don't seem to add any warmth, second they do a poor job of protecting a bag from dirt, oils, sweet, mostly because the fabric is so thin and permeable. Lastly I found myself tangled into a knot when I used it. Don't waste your money!

#178476 - 07/16/13 04:19 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: ETSU Pride]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'm thinking that taking an extra set of long johns (one weight lighter than you wear during the day) would get you to the same place temperature-wise, weight-wise, and cleanliness-wise - and provide more versatility than a liner.

Personally, I never plan to "stretch" the range of my sleeping bag by relying on my clothing. I normally sleep in the clothes I've worn during the day (I usually don't end up the day too dirty.) My insulating clothing, usually worn only at breaks or in camp, consists of down pants, down booties, down mittens and hooded down jacket. This is my safety margin for sleeping, in case it gets colder than predicted. If I'm headed into 25-degree weather, I take my 20 degree bag; I don't take my 30-degree bag and plan to stretch it by wearing my clothes.

That kind of thinking saved me from a very cold night. Temperatures were never predicted to drop below 20, so I took my 20-degree bag (Western Mountaineering, so it's a conservative rating.) When the bottom fell out one night, and it went to near zero, my extra clothing kept me nice and toasty when the bag started getting chilly (which actually happened around 15 degrees, confirming the conservative rating.)

#178479 - 07/16/13 04:50 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: ETSU Pride]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Suppose it would help a wee bit--maybe five degrees?--and might be more interesting if it's an IR reflector (I can't tell from the description). But without a way of anchoring it inside the sleeping bag, it will probably TRAP YOU FOREVER. I've found liners tend to go one direction while I go another and the bag goes a third.

I think bivy/overbags are better than liners, unless we're talking about vapor barrier liners, which is a whole different ballgame.

Cheers,

#178481 - 07/16/13 05:32 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: Rick_D]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Thank, guys.

#178482 - 07/16/13 06:12 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: Rick_D]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
There is no reflective coating, it is simply a light weight hollow tube woven sleeve. Much thinner than a standard cotton sheet.

#178486 - 07/16/13 06:54 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: rockchucker22]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Thanks. I didn't see anything shiny in the pics but didn't want to presume.

Cheers,

#178487 - 07/16/13 07:13 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Tried one of those silk liners for a few nights; took me several minutes each morning to get untangled. No apparent increase in warmth, and no apparent decrease in warmth when after a few nights of this nonsense I tossed the liner in the nearest trash can.

Like Glenn, I use my insulating clothing if the temp goes below what my sleeping bag can handle. I also use my non-breathable rain gear as a vapor barrier over my base layer when it's freezing or below. That really does add appreciable warmth and keeps my "insensible perspiration" out of the sleeping bag insulation. Any insulating clothing added goes outside the rain gear so it won't get damp from my body moisture.

#178498 - 07/17/13 05:48 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: OregonMouse]
nate99 Offline

Loc: Denver Colorado
You gotta hate the silk stuff. It is too thin so it won't provide much warmth. The only way it produces heat is through fast friction which doesn't happen a lot while sleeping.
-Nate-

#178517 - 07/18/13 11:02 AM Re: Bag Liner [Re: ETSU Pride]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've used the Coleman Fleece bag as a liner, and as a blanket on top of my bag and it does add warmth. I've also used an emergency blanket on top of my bag on nights when the temps dropped below freezing. They both worked pretty good.

"You want to go where?"

#182673 - 02/09/14 10:26 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: ETSU Pride]
Werminator Offline

Personally I feel my bag liner made a significant difference in temperature but the experienced difference may be due to my using a relatively cheap bag. My bag is a featherlite 0° bag and in 37 degree weather I felt cold but with the addition of the liner I did a couple nights of 20° with no more discomfort. I also think the bag liner cut down on draftiness in my bag and kept my skin from directly contacting any zippers. My two cents is that I will happily pack the extra few ounces as I feel I get something in return.

#182677 - 02/09/14 11:41 PM Re: Bag Liner [Re: Werminator]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I don't use a bag liner. I wear my Capilene and that keeps the bag clean, or at least cleaner than if I wasn't wearing it. I do have an overbag, an MEC Emperor Penguin and that does add warmth since it has its own insulation. I also have a light bivy sack. The three together is a bit of a hassle, so I now have a warmer bag.

#182693 - 02/10/14 07:52 AM Re: Bag Liner [Re: ETSU Pride]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
I can't remember if this topic has been discussed on here before or not. Do bag liners such as this really add more warmth to the bag? Or they just mostly keeping human's body oil from seeping into bag?

I was thinking, if I was to take my sleeping bag (the 15 degree one) somewhere cold and the temperature would be right around the bag's comfort rating. And say the temperature drops 5 degrees below comfort rating, would a liner really boost the warmth? I wouldn't expect a 40 degree bag compared with the liner I mentioned above to keep me warm in 20 degrees weather, but a 15-20 degree comfort rating in say 10 degree weather I wondered if it could make a difference?

I've used this product just as you mentioned, and it's performed about at the limit you set- 5 degrees. I've also used it by itself on cool summer nights when I needed just a light covering, when it was 65 or so. It probably outperforms another layer of clothes for a warmth to weight ratio, but the clothes will probably have a greater gain in lowering the comfort range. As a 10 oz. sleep system for the summer, it's OK. We used it this past fall on a trip in the Sierra where the average night was around 22 and we had brought 30 degree bags. I wore a fleece jacket and my wife used the Reactor. We both slept well. I found you need to roll the liner down when you get out, if you wish to return to it in any quick fashion. Once I learned that, it was no problem getting back into it.
I'll use it occasionally for a slight boost and by itself as a very lightweight sleep system. I will never use it to supplement more than 5-7 degrees, though. IMO, their claim is a little exaggerated.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum