Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178075 - 06/28/13 08:29 PM Budget 2 Person tent suggestions
michoi2 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone, let's get this out of the way, this is my first post and I'm new to backpacking. That being said I have racked up a pretty good amount of experience camping, hiking, mountain biking and general outdoors stuff.

Now I'm looking for a good budget 2 person tent. What I'm looking for must be:

-Comfortable for 2 people
-Have a vestibule
-Have a full rainfly
-Well ventilated but must also stand up to rain
-*The tent has to pack up small*
-Doesnt have to be free standing although it is a plus

I'm not interested in tarp shelters and like staying dry, I'm also looking for a brand new tent as my luck runs short with the used tents I've bought. The tent needs to pack up small and has to be a 3 season tent. I've found the Eureka Midori 2 wich seems nice but I want to know if theres anything better out there for the money.

All sugestions and comments are greatly appreciated!

#178076 - 06/28/13 09:51 PM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: michoi2]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Depends on how small you want to go. The Timberline from Eureka is also a pretty good tent.

But every tent is a compromise between weight, space, strength and cost. Only you can decide which are more important to you!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#178079 - 06/28/13 10:51 PM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: balzaccom]
michoi2 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The timberline is acctualy one of the used tents I own, its got a few years of use and leaked when I bought it used. A new one is a bit out of range for my budget and packs a bit bulky for my likeing.

#178086 - 06/29/13 10:43 AM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: michoi2]
lori Offline

That looks like about my list, minus the "must be lighter than my hammock setup" criteria that I have.

I have a Lightheart Gear tent that fits all those criteria.

Freestanding is overrated.

I also liked but did not take advantage of the fact that she makes them in custom colors, if you want to pay a little extra. Considering the tents I was looking at before all cost more than $300, the Lightheart was a "budget" tent.

I won't take a tent unless it has the features I need. I hate tents. I have never enjoyed sleeping on the ground. I sold, threw away and disposed of every double wall tent I've ever had, but the Lightheart is here to stay....

"Better" is the subjective part. I got sick of looking for the right tent and spent the money, and got it over with.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#178157 - 07/02/13 06:23 PM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: michoi2]
PDA Offline

REI half dome 2 checks most of your boxes but is a bit heavy at 5 lbs. I find it to be excellent as a tent, but prefer a hammock when there are trees. However, there is no such thing as a two person hammock that works for overnight, so the tent can be an advantage. 2 1/2 lb per person is not too bad. Full retail about $180, I bought mine for 50 at an REI garage sale, almost new and very little used, and no damage to tent fly or poles.

#178158 - 07/02/13 08:49 PM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: PDA]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By PDA
However, there is no such thing as a two person hammock that works for overnight, so the tent can be an advantage.

http://youtu.be/mjtebGvLf_U

Or, two hammocks, three trees and one large tarp...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#178264 - 07/08/13 03:08 AM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: michoi2]
mikepetersen Offline

A family hammock or a jumbo hammock is better for your use. These two types of hammocks can adjust 2 persons easily and take nylon hammocks because the nylon hammocks and handy, portable, easy to assemble and easy to disassemble.

#178270 - 07/08/13 06:43 PM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: mikepetersen]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
OK, so this "tent" needs to be relatively inexpensive. lightweight and pack small.
So we suggest a $600 Vertex double hammock that weighs 6 lbs and packs twice as large as many double wall tents.
Just for comparison the Tarptent StratoSpire 2 offers a lot more protected area than that for $325 and 40oz.
No it isn't freestanding (you need to use trekking poles or get 2x2 oz poles) but neither are hammocks...
BTW, the SS2 also packs about 1/3rd of the size of that hammock.
Two separate hammocks and a fly would not be much lighter or less expensive either.

Anyway the SS2 is still over twice the price the OP is looking at.

franco@tarptent,com
Now this is a REAL time set up....:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM

#178278 - 07/08/13 10:12 PM Re: Budget 2 Person tent suggestions [Re: Franco]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
I will throw in with the Eureka Apex 2XT, which may be snug for two to share who are not super-friendly. It meets all the other requirements and will not break the bank, seeing as you can get one for $100. I love everything about mine except the weight. It weighs around 5lbs on the trail. Split between two people, that would not be so bad.

Or there is the GoLite Imogene UL2 which is MUCH lighter at 2lb 6oz,and from what I can tell, pretty much the same size. They cost about $250 and are currently out of stock, but are expected to be in stock mid July.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum