Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177793 - 06/13/13 03:26 AM Jackets? Raingear?
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Haven't bought backpacking rain gear in soooo long. Don't see many changes tho. I have driducks currently. Got them out of storage and realized I have a major seam failure. I think I will pass on them for now since that happened without any strenuous use! I have several lightweight rain jackets I could use....all betwn 12 and 15 oz. Is there anything else out there that will hold up better than dri ducks but not be as heavy as regular jackets?
What are you all using????

#177794 - 06/13/13 03:55 AM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: ndwoods]
Robotmoose Offline

I love my Marmot Precip gear. light, compact and simple, not to mention very affordable compared to other Gore and Gore-like products on the market.
http://marmot.com/products/precip_jacket

I have a (much) older model that doesn't have the face-shield hood, but I couldn't care less. My only gripe is the lack of a model that comes without a hood at all. I hate wearing hoods.

#177795 - 06/13/13 06:43 AM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: Robotmoose]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've been happy with my Outdoor Research Foray jacket and pants.

#177796 - 06/13/13 06:45 AM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: Robotmoose]

If you don't want a hood, visit the local golf store - I've seen a number of hoodless jackets there.

#177797 - 06/13/13 09:35 AM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Robotmoose Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
If you don't want a hood, visit the local golf store - I've seen a number of hoodless jackets there.

That's an interesting suggestion, and it's good to know if anyone else is looking for a hoodless option.
The Precip is nice because it has a thin strap that can be used to tie the rolled-up hood down, and keeps it out of the way.
Whatever the case, a replacement jacket isn't on my radar yet, and I'm kind of a Marmot fanatic.

#177805 - 06/14/13 12:31 PM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: Robotmoose]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
+1 on the Marmot "Precip" jacket. I really like the pit zips as well since I tend to get warm rather quickly if it's not cold out. The only negative comment I've ever heard about the jacket is that it wears out quickly and it will begin to leak after a while. For that reason I only use it on overnight trips; carrying an older, heavier rain jacket on day trips where weight isn't an issue. I've had the Precip now for 2 years and so far it's still working great.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

#177806 - 06/14/13 12:50 PM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: snapper]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I got a Marmot Precip jacket and it was leaking within 18 months. They were definite leaks, through the fabric at the shoulders. I tried washing and renewing the DWR, but no joy.

#177809 - 06/14/13 04:13 PM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
It depends on what degree of rain protection you need. I also have not had good luck with Marmot Precip. I use the jacket with the idea that it is not waterproof except for short duration. This works for me in the Sierra in the summer because I generally will not choose to walk in the rain. It is a great jacket for light rain while in camp and is good to use when backpacking in a high wind (works like a wind jacket).

In my experience, all the "breathable, waterproof" type jackets I have had were expensive and leaked in a real rainstorm. The last jacket I bought was a simple coated nylon parka. This is the jacket I take if I really expect heavy rain.

#177810 - 06/14/13 05:01 PM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: wandering_daisy]

I agree - the only real way to avoid getting wet is to get out of the rain. (This is where having route options pays off - you can hole up and adjust your trip plan, if necessary.)

I look at rain gear as a way to get a bit less wet in prolonged rain (maybe) or to stay reasonably dry for a couple of hours of gentle rain. As far as Gore Tex, I didn't choose it for any particular "miracle fabric" reason; it was on sale, they had it in my size, and it fit well. I've also used the Precip; the Gore Tex doesn't keep me any drier (or let me get any wetter), but the OR product has lasted longer than the Marmot product did.

#177813 - 06/14/13 08:30 PM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: ndwoods]
lori Offline

I have a flow chart for rain gear.

Is it going to be heavy ongoing rain? If yes, do I really need to go in the first place? If yes, I look at the temperature and purpose. If on a search bushwacking and in the rain, I take a rain jacket and pants, with ventilation zippers. I don't plan to keep them in one piece or even necessarily stay dry. I will be sweating and miserable either way. But, perhaps my clothing will not be torn to shreds by the whitethorn.

Is it a good chance there will be rain for a significant part of the trip? If so, I take a poncho and rain pants. I might take the umbrella if it's not so stormy it'll blow me away.

Is it going to be a slight to no chance of rain? If so, I take an emergency poncho instead of the heavier PU coated poncho.

Is it going to be cold, like within 10 or so degrees of freezing, with a slight to moderate chance of precipitation but not necessarily rain? I take a jacket and rain pants, but not the same ones I take on a search.... The more expensive, breathable (we pretend they are anyway) ones.

Sometimes when it rains, I don't put on rain gear at all, because there is enough sun and time left in the day to dry and it's just a summer afternoon shower in the Sierra.

Sometimes it's obviously here to stay for hours, and it's getting colder. So on it goes, pit zips open if it's a jacket, and I have a dry change of base layer in the pack for when I set up camp, because it's not like I pretend that I'll stay dry - just more dry than I would have been without the rain gear, and moderately warmer.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#177815 - 06/14/13 09:01 PM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: lori]

"I have a flow chart for rain gear."

On behalf of myself and the other accountants on the site, Congratulatons! You are now an honorary accountant. smile

#177832 - 06/17/13 03:05 AM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: ndwoods]
Robotmoose Offline

I've yet to encounter any leakage issues with my Percip, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if this rings true. I've had the thing for almost ten years now and it's gotten me through some nice rainstorms. However, I do need to confess that I follow a system kind of like Lori's: for winter, hard-weather, or snow outings, I have an REI Elements jacket that covers me then. It's heavier than I'd like, but offers fantastic water resistance and a nice wicking layer to help ward off clamminess.

I also must agree full-heartedly with the sentiment that rain gear isn't to keep you truly "dry" but drier and less miserable than you could be.

#177845 - 06/17/13 10:08 AM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: Robotmoose]

I think the Foray has a similar strap for the hood; I'd have to check to be sure because I always use the hood in the rain. On the few occasions where I use it as a windbreaker, in camp, the hood just hangs down the back out of the way.

#177847 - 06/17/13 10:12 AM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: ndwoods]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“What are you all using????”

I’ve been loving umbrellas.
I used to have a 5oz one that folded small but the Wind Rivers range tore it up last year. I bit the bullet and got a heavier one that doesn’t fold --- the 8oz Golite version. That’s a very well designed beast. 90% of the time it has kept me and my Murmer dry. In the harsher rains I whip out the 1.2oz $2.00 poncho and put it over me and my backpack. The poncho only lasts about 3-4 days. But out West here, I only go through about 2 ponchos/year. So I’m not in the mood to invest in an expensive rain jacket. Plus I use my poncho a lot in the morning. I plop it on the ground and lay my pack contents on it while I pack up.

Good luck on the rain gear.
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

#177853 - 06/17/13 04:03 PM Re: Jackets? Raingear? [Re: BarryP]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am a poncho + umbrella guy as well. But, I need to get a new umbrella. I just used a cheap one that folded small. It did great, but didn't last all that long. I might look at that golite one. I probably wouldn't pick a poncho for the PNW, but out here in the Rockies, rain is not common.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum