Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177556 - 06/03/13 02:48 PM Airplane Travel with Backpack
Infamous Offline

Loc: So Cal
Hello forum,

This place is fantastic and you are all are awesome. I've been on for a few years and lurk quite a bit, but don't post much.

I'm going to fly to a destination (Olympic Natl Park) for a backpacking trip this summer and I'm curious about your experiences in checking a pack as luggage, in terms of protecting the pack itself. I'm planning to remove the hipbelt and put it inside the pack, but still considering putting the whole thing in a large duffel to avoid webbing snags, etc. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mike

Edited by Infamous (06/03/13 03:41 PM)

#177557 - 06/03/13 03:15 PM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: Infamous]
Average_Joe Offline

My pack has straps which go into pockets for travel, but that would not help with the gear I have strapped to the outside of it.

I'm liking your idea of putting it in a duffel bag!

#177560 - 06/03/13 06:00 PM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: Average_Joe]
Infamous Offline

Thanks Joe.

I'm just not sure how vulnerable a pack might be going through all of the baggage handling machinery. Hoping to hear others experiences with that...

#177561 - 06/03/13 06:52 PM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: Infamous]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I have traveled a lot with a backpack over the years, and traveling by air seems to be constantly changing with these sort of things. A couple of summers ago, I flew into Denver CO from San Diego, CA. I threw my backpack into a duffle bag that time and had no issues (or dangling straps on the bag). Last summer, three of us flew from San Diego to Milan, Italy. They had heavy duty plastic bins that each backpack loaded into. When we got to Milan, they were all in one piece. Same with the return trip. My advice is to call the carrier you are planning to use and see what they advise. That is how we found out about the bins for the trip to Italy.

Edited by skcreidc (06/03/13 06:53 PM)
Edit Reason: doh!

#177563 - 06/03/13 07:06 PM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: skcreidc]
Infamous Offline

^^ Good advice - thank you!

#177573 - 06/04/13 08:47 AM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: Infamous]
dzierzak Offline

Loc: WV
My experiences in travelling between West Virginia and Philmont Scout Ranch (through Albuquerque and Colorado Springs)

10 trips with 24 people each trip (average) = 240 round trips.

Packs in duffel bags. Total damage 1 lost pack (subsequently found) and 1 slightly damaged duffel.

YMMV

#177575 - 06/04/13 10:24 AM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: dzierzak]
Average_Joe Offline

Originally Posted By dzierzak
My experiences in travelling between West Virginia and Philmont Scout Ranch (through Albuquerque and Colorado Springs)

10 trips with 24 people each trip (average) = 240 round trips.

Packs in duffel bags. Total damage 1 lost pack (subsequently found) and 1 slightly damaged duffel.

YMMV

dzierzak, that is pretty conclusive. Would it be safe to guess the bulk of those were internal frame packs? I could see an external frame being at more risk.

#177576 - 06/04/13 10:33 AM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: Infamous]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Mike,

I always pack in a duffel and I have traveled by air with my pack every year for over a decade. Our scouts generally use an Osprey Airporter, which is cheap and light (especially given a 50lb weight limit on most airlines before really high baggage fees kick in).

#177580 - 06/04/13 12:01 PM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: Average_Joe]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Good stuff, dzierzak. Nice record keeping.

Up until 2011, all my personal packs were external frame. OK, lets be clear about this...they were Kelty's produced and purchased in the period from 1966 to 1970. From 1969 on, I have flown over 30 trips (Canada, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Mexico, Central and South America, and the south pacific) with my Kelty external frame never once having it stored inside something else; it was marked tagged directly as luggage, loaded onto a plane via the usual methods and the worst that happened was an end cap got lost once and the ends of the frame were beat up. I still use this backpack, btw. This is a pretty tough pack though; I'm not sure or very familiar with other external frame designs. My ultralight backpack I am far more worried about and at a minimum will put it into another piece of luggage or duffel bag to keep it safe. But the Kelty's have more damage done to them from bears than from flying. A duffel bag would only up the protection with possibly the exception of the frame ends.

Times have changed though, so I would call the carrier and talk to them about it and keep a telecon record about it if you are really fastidious. The plastic bins were pretty clever as they stacked and protected the backpacks. More and more people are using backpacks again for travel so maybe this is part of a trend and the various providers are moving to accomodate.

#177595 - 06/05/13 07:48 AM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: Average_Joe]
dzierzak Offline

Yep, the majority were internals. We usually had 2-3 externals per trip. Oddly, the externals never had a problem. Everyone had some sort of duffel. We even had one kid use his dad's golf bag duffel. That ended up in the "odd luggage dept", it didn't show up on the belt with everything else - had to track it down.

The duffel thing and packing for the plane ride is part of our regular training for our Philmont treks - don't want to follow the "advice"? - don't go... wink

The whole "planning for group travel" is way different then travelling on your own...

Of course, YMMV!!!

#177596 - 06/05/13 07:51 AM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: ndsol]
dzierzak Offline

Even "surplus" military duffels work well. Of course, using an external frame pack poses certain "challenges" to getting everything in...

#177601 - 06/05/13 12:07 PM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: dzierzak]
bluefish Offline

I had the misfortune, after many flights just wrapping up the belts and straps as best possible, of a strap getting caught and jamming in the door as the luggage comes out onto the carousel. Not only did it get a bit of a beating, other luggage was jammed up and falling off behind it. I had to rip it free with lots of angry flyers looking on. Some airlines put them in plastic bags or in a large plastic tub, but I don't rely on that, anymore. Our packs now go in a bag we bought at EMS that is a lot like the Osprey Airporter. The Airporter is about half the price. I need another one, thanks for the link!!!!
My old Jansport D-5 exceeds the 62 inch rule unless I pack it very lightly. Since I'd have to pay extra , I stick with the internal frames.

Charlie

Edited by bluefish (06/05/13 12:12 PM)

#177609 - 06/05/13 04:05 PM Re: Airplane Travel with Backpack [Re: bluefish]
Infamous Offline

Thanks so much to all for the responses! This is very helpful and appreciated.

Bluefish, your example is exactly what I want to avoid!

I really like the cheap Osprey duffel option. That's a tough value to beat for this purpose.

Thanks again!
Mike

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum