Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177540 - 06/02/13 05:15 PM Working around the weather?
kbrookshire Offline

Loc: Bullitt County, Kentucky
Had planned 3 day backpacking trip for from 5-31 to 6-2 on the tecumseh trail in indiana. Weather looked miserable in our area. To new to backpacking to want to tackle several days of rain in a row. Changed plans at last minute to get one day of good weather to hike. Ended up camping at cosby campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National park. Day hiked up and back to Mt. Cammerer. Amazing views, the weather was perfect and the views were well worth the extra drive to escape the abundant rain this weekend. Photos of hike https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/114550164923831988852/albums/5884974951833690753

Raining hard sunday morning we bailed out after one great day.

Still trying out new gear. Having trouble organizing routes, currently doing loops as we are unsure of how far we can go in a day because we are new to nearly all terrain we encounter. Only one vehicle makes nearly impossible to hike point A to point B with overnights as we will always need a ride back to our vehicle. Not nearly as much fun to turn around and hike the same route back every time. Have yet to work out water treatment/filter options. End up carrying excess water I am always afraid to run out. Seams like every trail I pick is uphill both ways all day? Lots of water needed. We had a great time not real sure about the bears sharing their forest trails with us. This trip was 5.5 hrs travel from Louisville KY. Hope with more experience we can backpack with confidence and string some days together. We did about 10.5 miles to the old forestry tower round trip. Took about 8 hours and ten 16.9 oz bottles of water between two people.

#177542 - 06/02/13 06:28 PM Re: Working around the weather? [Re: kbrookshire]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Give yourself credit for getting out there - it's the only way to get the experience you need. Also, give yourself credit for being flexible enough to change your plans when the good weather goes AWOL - I've done 3 days in the rain a few times, and suffice it to say that I don't feel any need to do so nowadays.

I still have days that seem to be uphill both ways - but there's always something that makes it worthwhile, just like your trip.

Don't get too discouraged at this point - it's all part of learning. There's no real way to shortcut the process, though asking questions here and reading some books will smooth the way a bit.

If you're looking for easier terrain, with better (more plentiful) water, there are two places closer to you that I'd recommend: Mammoth Cave National Park, and the Red River Gorge (southeast of Lexington; there's another thread active on it now.) The Gorge has some spectacular scenery, and is well known (which also means crowded on weekends.) I know Mammoth Cave sounds counterintuitive, but in addition to the cavern, it also has a very nice backcountry. No spectacular scenery, but pretty. Weekend trips to either place give you a chance to work out the technical stuff. Both places offer loop opportunities, too.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

#177565 - 06/03/13 07:24 PM Re: Working around the weather? [Re: kbrookshire]
Outcasthiker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Good to see you getting out and great pics from your trip. I would also suggest Mammoth Cave for good hiking trails. You can do sections of the Sheltowee Trace as well in Kentucky and look at the Big South Fork area for good trails that are loops. I got some trail descriptions on my blog as well. craigshikes.blogspot.com and outcasthikers.com

All of these areas have good water supplies so you can filter or treat instead of carrying large amounts of water. Don't worry about bears, just make sure you hang your food and anything with smells at night.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum