Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177080 - 05/14/13 05:58 PM Turns out this thing actually exists
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I thought it was just a trade show design concept, but the Sierra Designs Mojo UFO lives. In your dreams, but lives nevertheless.

SD Mojo UFO

27 ounces.

Cheers,

#177081 - 05/14/13 06:19 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
$1800.00 yikes!

#177082 - 05/14/13 06:42 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: rockchucker22]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Wow, $1200 to save about 2 ounces over my Fly Creek 2 Platinum (1 lb, 13 ounces) - of course, for the extra dough, you also get a single wall tent. Well, mostly single wall (per the "features" list.)

There are no reviews yet; I think you need to be #1. smile

#177083 - 05/14/13 06:53 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

I'd be #1 to test its further use as a funeral shroud, once my spousal unit got wind of what it cost. eek

How do you like the Fly Creek? Enough room for two adult-sized hiker dudes eluding the rain?

Cheers,

#177084 - 05/14/13 07:30 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]

It replaced a Fly Creek UL1 - same weight, more room. I bought it for use as a solo tent, and have used it once so far. I'm really impressed with the 2-person version so far - the slight bit of extra headroom is nice, and the extra room inside is a real treat.

I haven't used it with another person. Based on my first impression, I think it would be awfully crowded with two people my size (5'11", 195 pounds) in it. Two slender people, or a very romantic couple, might find it OK. I'd really call it a 1.5 person tent. For me and my honorary 3-year-old granddaughter (next door neighbor), it would work fine.

I've never really found any tent to be a delightful place to sit out prolonged rain.

#177086 - 05/14/13 08:36 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Here's a whole list of solo shelters under 20 oz., and none are anywhere near that expensive! Solo shelter comparisons.

Similar list for 2-person tents, including some that are double-wall tents: 2 person shelter comparisons.

My 2 person Z-Packs Hexamid Twin, with beak and bathtub floor, ran about $550 (although I got some deals on it) and weighs 17 oz. with stakes.

While cuben fiber ain't cheap, this SD tent is highway robbery!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/14/13 09:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Correct brand name!

#177087 - 05/14/13 08:41 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: OregonMouse]

"Trailway" robbery seems more like it. smile

(And this from a guy who doesn't get sticker shock easily.)

#177088 - 05/15/13 12:04 AM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]
lori Offline

Yeah, I'll be taking a pass on that one... looks like they are trying to make a Lexus tent, whereas most of us are looking for Toyotas...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#177089 - 05/15/13 12:32 AM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Thanks Glenn, good feedback. I'm kinda interested, as I've found single-wall tents while light have their limitations too. How many shelters can....

I know better than to complete that thought.

And now...competition for Sierra Designs. It's a thing, folks, this Uber-tent marketplace. Trust fund backpackers? I've seen weirder things, just not recently.

Terra Nova Voyager 2

Cheers,

#177090 - 05/15/13 02:23 AM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]
Robotmoose Offline

It looks like the people responsible for ridiculously overpriced cycling gear have set their course for backpackers now, too.
This must add a new ranking on the backpacking hierarchy:
- Expedition Weight
- Lightweight
- Ultralight
- Sub-ultralight
- Wealthy lunatic fringe

I will never hold a person's gear choices against them, "run what ya brung" as they say in Toyota 4X4 circles. As long as it works for you and you can actually put it to good use, go for it; but this make me wonder if something like this can become "status symbol gear" among hobbyists with their priorities in the wrong direction.

#177091 - 05/15/13 10:28 AM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]

I forgot one minor point. The Fly Creek 1-person versions have a design feature that always bothered me: the slope of the door and vestibule meant that, if you opened the vestibule when it was wet, any heavy moisture tended to drip inside the tent; that is, the drip point was positioned "behind" the tent door.

On the two-person versions, there's enough extra headroom and vestibule space that the drip point has moved outside the tent door, so the odd drips fall onto the ground instead of through the mesh onto the floor. It doesn't miss the floor much, and there still might be the occasional drip that hits inside instead of outside the tent, but the problem seems to be almost non-existent in the 2-person versions.

#177094 - 05/15/13 02:56 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ClarkPeters Offline

Loc: Kansas
This would be one way to REALLY make use of that 20 percent discount at REI this weekend.

"But hon, I saved us over $350!"

Pete

#177096 - 05/15/13 03:46 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
$1800.....or, you could hire a porter to carry your entire load.
By an alpaca for $200. $1600 for a trailer and feed. grin
Then you can claim zero pack weight.

#177101 - 05/15/13 05:49 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Dryer]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Dryer
$1800.....or, you could hire a porter to carry your entire load.
By an alpaca for $200. $1600 for a trailer and feed. grin
Then you can claim zero pack weight.

This is what I was thinking. For that price, just pay someone to carry your stuff, or have a heli drop it in.

#177103 - 05/15/13 06:30 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Do they sell these through Nieman-Marcus? I think this sort of object is what Thorstein Veblen had in mind when he coined the term "conspicuous consumption". At a certain point of having mountains of money, you run out of sensible uses to put it to and must embark on a career of senseless ostentation.

#177169 - 05/19/13 09:19 AM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: ClarkPeters]

Attention, shoppers!

There's a blue light special on the Sierra Designs Mojo UFO at Backcountry Gear: originally $1,800 - now $1,400 for a limited time!

I hope I don't get crushed in the stampede. smile

#177170 - 05/19/13 09:29 AM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Glenn Roberts]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Attention, shoppers!

There's a blue light special on the Sierra Designs Mojo UFO at Backcountry Gear: originally $1,800 - now $1,400 for a limited time!

I hope I don't get crushed in the stampede. smile
Get out of my way!

#177172 - 05/19/13 12:12 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By aimless
At a certain point of having mountains of money, you run out of sensible uses to put it to and must embark on a career of senseless ostentation.

That is so true. When I was a car builder we catered to that market. After watching someone pick up a particularly ugly car I asked the designer, George Barris, why anyone would want such a car and he responded without any hesitation saying, "Bill, there's an ass for every seat."

George is darn good at finding them too. laugh

"You want to go where?"

#177183 - 05/19/13 11:52 PM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Uhh,

#177186 - 05/20/13 12:27 AM Re: Turns out this thing actually exists [Re: Rick_D]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Makes my Z-packs cuben tent look cheap . . .

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum