Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177069 - 05/14/13 10:44 AM Backpacking with friends
lori Offline

It could be backpacking with groups, I suppose. But the distinction being - you're not going with a guide or a class, you're just hanging with friends. Some of the rules change - as in, no one believes there are rules...

I think the biggest challenge is the differing expectations of the group members. We think we are all on the same page sometimes and then you find out - no, Don doesn't believe in Leave No Trace after all, else why did he throw that plastic into the fire???

To decrease risk and decrease the chances of dissent (which leads to people storming off sometimes, and then the rest of the group is left to wonder - are they coming back? Should we look for him?) - there should be a discussion up front about what to do IF.

If someone gets hurt or lost - obvious topics.

If someone gets sort of hurt - those funny symptoms, are they elevation related? should we go down the pass instead of over it?

If someone INSISTS that they MUST do something. I've had people determined to go back to their car alone. Sometimes they have done so without even mentioning it to anyone. Great way to make people not enjoy a trip - leave 'em wondering.

Communication is huge - most of the time people can't seem to overcome the polite factor, and hide symptoms until it's almost too late. I've started to tell people it is more of an imposition on a wilderness trip to hide things. Give the group a chance to address the issue before it is a real issue! Don't hike for miles with no water! That would be the most frequent "sin" people are prone to... don't want to make other people stop or slow up the group, just keep hiking... and then there was a lady who did mention being out of water, I offer to filter her some, and she flat refuses to stop. After the trip she was miserable.

What gear do you have? I usually expect people to have enough gear on their person to survive if not be comfortable in the event the group vanishes. Not that we intend to. I may be doing a pack check before the four day trip I have over Memorial Day, just to be sure we're not packing anvils and omitting necessities... Making sure everyone has a trail map is useful when subgrouping per pace - the slowbies need to be able to make the right turns even if the sign vanished.

It's also distasteful (apparently) to designate someone to lead. But it might be that the group finds themselves in a deadlock over some issue, in which case, having agreed in advance to designate someone to break the stalemate would help.

Any other considerations? I've seen people left high and dry as their buddy left early with a shelter or stove or other item they agreed to share... sometimes the unspoken social contract just isn't enough.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#177071 - 05/14/13 12:30 PM Re: Backpacking with friends [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Most of my friends have moved to other parts of the country, so I don't take nearly as many "just hanging" trips as I once did. However, I am developing some new hiking buddies as an offshoot of some organized group trips. Like my old friends, we're following a couple of general "rules" (which is way too formal a classification.)

First, we treat each trip as a solo trip taken together from the point of view of gear. Each of us brings a full complement of gear. Yes, we could lighten our loads, but most of us are already under 25 pounds for a weekend anyhow, so there's no reall suffering involved in each person carrying all the gear he/she needs to be self-sufficient. It's also a bit of insurance, in case someone does need to leave the trip early because of a last-minute change in plans, or just "hitting the wall" partway through the trip, or gets lost (hard, but not impossible, to do in the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana pocket-sized hiking areas.)

But mostly, it's that we don't get out every weekend, and so when we do, we want to play with our toys.

It also simplfies planning: we don't have to keep checking to see who has a big enough pot for 3 people, who's going to get the food, and how much, etc. It also means that, if work or family forces someone to drop out a couple of days before the trip, we don't have to start over to make sure we've got everything covered.

We also plan the trip as a group, rather than having one individual make all the decisions. The person who comes up with the original idea usually takes the lead, but we make the final decision on the specific hiking route and the intended campsites as a group consensus. We also discuss whether any of us might want to spend one night alone, at a different campsite, and if so, we plan when and where we'll separate and meet back up. We also frankly discuss our physical limitations (those of us in our 60's don't have the same hiking abilities as those in their 30's), and plan hiking routes to meet those abilities. Sometimes, this means one or two of us will take a shorter or less difficult trail than the rest - but again, we make definite, mark-on-the-map arrangements of where we'll separate and when and where we'll meet again. That kind of joint decision making seems to make the actual trip go pretty smoothly.

My own personal "thing" is making sure everybody has his own map (prefereably a topo, but a trail map is often adequate in Ohio, Indiana, or Kentucky.)

This seems to work pretty well. Of course, we're lucky: we all feel the same way about being honest with one another, not taking offense when others are honest, and we all are very willing to compromise (these are work habits for most of us, and they carry over pretty seamlessly.)

Edited by Glenn Roberts (05/14/13 12:37 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum