Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176496 - 04/15/13 10:25 PM short distance commications for groups and couples
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
my wife and i like kayaking together. Sometimes I'll fish while she meanders down a river, and the separation distance can get a bit much. We decided we need to have some form of dynamic communication other than pre-trip agreements, in case something happens. Cell phones would be fine, but not all places we go have reception.
Anyone know of a good walkie-talkie type setup that would work well for partner to partner comms? Experiences? I'm out-of-date on this technology for outdoor activities.

#176498 - 04/16/13 12:30 AM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: djtrekker]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah

This is my favorite one.

#176501 - 04/16/13 01:31 AM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: djtrekker]
lori Offline

Kayaking? Whatever you use needs to work after a dunking.

Take no electronics you value...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176503 - 04/16/13 09:24 AM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: djtrekker]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
If you are within sight of each other and the river/lake is void of constant boat traffic (noise), a whistle works great. So does a small air horn.

You can purchase FRS/GMRS radios that are waterproof just about everywhere now, including Walmart. That will get you about 2 miles of range.

A marine hand-held radio would be the next step...I carry them in my sailboats...because that would be where rescue authorities will be listening, assuming your lake/river has
them.

My prefered option would be for you and your wife to get your amateur radio licenses (35 question test)and learn to use the huge array of tiny/powerful/waterproof hand-held radios available. With those, you can work through local repeaters and extend your range by many miles. I carry mine backpacking where cell coverage is nil.

All that said, I ALWAYS carry my cell phone if I know there is coverage. It stays in a nice waterproof cover (about $15) and works great.

#176546 - 04/17/13 03:00 AM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: Dryer]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I'm thinking a cheap pair of FRS walkies. Cel phones are usually useless in the bush. Got plenty of cash? Satphones work almost anywhere in North America, but expect to spend about $1K apiece for good ones, plus airtime. You can rent them for about $60-70 a week.

#176548 - 04/17/13 08:23 AM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: TomD]
Dryer Offline

I said "if" there is coverage, Tom. The benefit to me is...my clients think I'm at the office. Wonderful things, cell phones and call forwarding! grin

#176564 - 04/17/13 10:38 PM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: Dryer]
TomD Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
I said "if" there is coverage, Tom. The benefit to me is...my clients think I'm at the office. Wonderful things, cell phones and call forwarding! grin

I agree about that one. However, too many people assume there is cel service everywhere. Last time I was in Yosemite, no cel service out of the Valley until you got on the main roads out of the park. I'm waiting for a cheap Iridium sat phone to hit the market.

#176565 - 04/17/13 11:17 PM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: TomD]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
too many people assume there is cell service everywhere

Tell me about it. Last week, I was in Big Bend NatPk. I wanted to ride my enduro bike up a 30 mile 4wd road, solo. My friend agreed to be "support crew" and both of our phones showed at least 3 bars of service. I texted him a dozen times as I progressed, all good, ride going well. The agreement was that if I didn't show up in camp at sundown, to start a search. Me, thinking all was well, kept riding, extending the ride to over 100 miles. I then get a text saying "ET phone home, it's been over 3 hours!" I hightailed it back to camp just in time.
He didn't get my texts until the next day!!!

I had ham radio with me but still couldn't get a phone call through.

#176626 - 04/20/13 02:39 AM Re: short distance commications for groups and couples [Re: Dryer]
TomD Offline

I know we've had this discussion before, but as a reminder, do not count on your cel phone for rescue. Happens around here all the time, usually resulting in a helo rescue in the local mountains of unprepared hikers - no water, no food, no extra clothes, no bivy gear, no flashlight, no map or compass, nothing except a cel phone which went dead before SAR could pinpoint their location. They found a pair recently who wandered off trail, got separated from each other and wound up spending 4 or 5 days outside. By the time they were found, they were both beat up, badly dehydrated and neither one of them had shoes. I still can't figure that one out.

Edited by TomD (04/20/13 02:40 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum