Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176354 - 04/10/13 10:16 AM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: lori]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
First off I never once said mountianeering Bivy, second I never said I used a Bivy instead of a tent. I'm not sure why if someone does something other than your preferred method they are wrong. You know differing opinions are ok, we all can do things differently and not be wrong. Unless you have personally used the gear in question, refrain from an uneducated blurtings. It doesn't look good on you!

#176358 - 04/10/13 12:34 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: rockchucker22]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just a moderator warning here that personal attacks are not tolerated on this forum...

Rockchucker, you did imply in your posts, undoubtedly unintentionally, that you use that Katabatic bivy as a stand-alone bivy. That was certainly the impression I got from your posts; it wasn't just Lori. If you're using it under a tarp, that's what it was intended for.

Since many beginners read these posts, it's a good idea to be absolutely clear so nobody is misled! That's my concern and I know it's Lori's as well. There was no intent to insult you; it's just that clarification was badly needed to keep others from making what could be a fatal error.

IMHO, it's rather unfortunate that the same term, "bivy," is used for two different types of gear.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/10/13 12:36 PM)

#176360 - 04/10/13 01:20 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

It does not make sense to me that "bivy" can be used for what is essentially a sleeping bag cover. And it would be a miserable mistake to make, taking a water resistant six ounce sleeping bag cover and using it as a standalone bivy.

And no, nothing personal was intended... I've met people who can't seem to parse the instructions that came with a tent, let alone what's said on forums, and it does pay to be clear about the differences between similar items that are intended to be used differently.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176361 - 04/10/13 01:30 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: lori]
rockchucker22 Offline

I apologize to Lori, my post was heated and harsh. I always carry a msr e-wing poncho tarp to compliment the Bivy if needed. And for backpacking in general I would take a tent over a Bivy any day. When you day hike 2-3 times a week 6-12 miles all off trail like I do you will carry minimal overnight gear, which for me means a Bivy AND poncho tarp. I spent 4 rainy nights in this set up last year on top of Chatovic. I know it works as intended.

Once more I'm sorry if I offended anyone involved. I was just coming from a slightly different angle.

#176362 - 04/10/13 01:30 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Lori, parse? No comprende.:) I'll have to look that up.
Duane

#176363 - 04/10/13 01:46 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Parsing or syntactic analysis is the process of analysing a string of symbols, either in natural language or in computer languages, according to the rules of a formal grammar. The term parsing comes from Latin pars (&#333;r&#257;ti&#333;nis), meaning part (of speech).[1][2]

#176368 - 04/10/13 03:43 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: rockchucker22]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I thought parse was that little green stuff they put on your plate at a restaurant. smile

Sorry, long hard day at work; I needed a little humor, and this was about as little as I could manage.

#176373 - 04/10/13 07:41 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: rockchucker22]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I parse data all day, but sometimes I still have a hard time parsing written instructions and forum postings (and even my own are no exception wink

"You want to go where?"

#176391 - 04/11/13 07:12 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: hikerduane]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Duane

That night that we spent on Broken Top it got down to about 15 degrees and I had a Marmot Pinnacle 15 degree bag. My silnet bivy tent slid off the hill and I ended up sleeping under the stars in just the sleeping bag with a down coat and down pants on inside. Since the shell is made of dryloft, I do not need a bivy sack. You generally would use a bivy bag for emergency and get in it with your climbing partner, it was not considered an accesory to a sleeping bag. I think the bivy/tarp concept is because modern bags save weight in the shells thus you use an external shell - a bivy. Kind of like a tent footprint is only needed because they use too thin of material in the floor so you add an extra one - a footprint.

A bivy does add warmth though and the combination of a cut down old bibler bivy sack and a UL sleeping bag with a non-water proof shell works for me on nights that go from sort of warm to sort of cold.
Jim grin

#176393 - 04/11/13 07:57 PM Re: Undecided: Bivy or Tent [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Jim, my original intent was to get a shelter/shelter system that would get me by and be the lightest at this time. The bare bones ZPacks hexamid (a shaped tarp) was to me my rain cover and the noseeum topped bivy with cuben fiber bathtub type bottom my bug protection and water-under-the-shelter protection. Too cramped, I guess the little bit of show me came out, so I have a buyer for the bivy and will send the tarp to get bug netting added, making it a tent then, gaining only an oz. for the exchange.
It was cold up there where we camped, the wind was no help.
Duane

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum