Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175392 - 02/27/13 03:19 PM WD, I need a favor
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Sorry Duane, but this general topic needs some help anyway. WD I figure this is more up your alley. I would like to know if you think if I could do Matthes Crest traverse confidently, that that would be a good indicator for the Wolf's Head traverse. In particular for stamina. I've been slapped around so much physically lately that I want to make sure I'm ready. After all, I still have to contend with the weather no matter what.

Chris

#175432 - 02/28/13 04:07 PM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: skcreidc]
jdeutsch Offline

I don't know you or your abilities, but having done both Matthes Crest and Wolf's Head, I can tell you that Wolf's Head is significantly more difficult.

Matthes Crest: A pitch or two of 5.5 to reach the ridge. Then all third and fourth class to the middle of the mountain (most parties simul or solo this section) where parties usually descend. Optional 5.7 pitch to reach the central summit.

Wolf's Head: Three-ish pitches to reach the ridge. These should be easy, but we found them to be lots of 5.6 with poor protection. Perhaps our route finding was poor. The ridge starts with easy pitches, but still definitely fifth class. There are a few harder pitches that go at 5.7 and the route finding is trickier overall because you have to traverse around towers.

Both are great alpine climbs. I don't mean to say you shouldn't do Wolf's Head, just wanted to try to give an accurate comparison with Matthes. Hope that helps.

#175468 - 03/01/13 06:57 PM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: jdeutsch]
skcreidc Offline

jdeutsch, that is exactly what I wanted. I'm 56 now and my feet are good, but my shoulders are a disaster that I am slowly working on. What can I say other than I would really like to do the Wolf's Head and am trying to come up with bench marks to get me there. Since I've done the entire Matthes Crest (when I was in my 20's), I thought that may be a reasonable step in getting there. I have ticked off some very easy multi pitch climbs, but still need to build up my stamina so I've been going over to a bouldering spot a few minutes away to work on various traverses. I need to be patient so I'm shooting for 2 or 3 summers from now in early September. From your description, I'll need a few harder multi pitch experiences under my belt before I head back to the Winds. Sounds more like 3 years. Thanks again.

#175509 - 03/03/13 11:46 AM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: skcreidc]
jdeutsch Offline

Sounds like you are making a well thought out plan to attempt Wolf's Head. I'm sure you will be fine. Honestly, the day hiking from Big Sandy trailhead to the Cirque with a heavy pack is harder for me than climbing Wolf's Head. Take a full day of rest after the hike in. Or two days. Use that time to scout the approach and even cache some gear at the base to make the climbing day easier. Try to go later in the season when the approach and descent aren't choked with snow (your plan for late August/early September is a good choice).

Give the West Ridge of Conness in Yosemite a try. The first few 5.7 pitches are as hard as anything on Wolf's Head. The rest is a long simulclimb like Matthes, significantly easier than Wolf's Head. Good test of how you will react to a long day of climbing.

Good luck and have fun!

#175540 - 03/04/13 12:48 PM Re:West Ridge of Conness [Re: jdeutsch]
skcreidc Offline

Hey thanks, jdeutsch. An excellent suggestion with relatively easy access. The West Ridge is definitely going on my list. My likely partner called me yesterday (unlike me, a hardman from CO) and suggested the Ellingwood Arete in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of CO for sometime this summer. I need to visit anyway smile. I've been over kick your ass pass and stared at Pingora and the other peaks in person 2 summers ago; but just looked. Unfortunately, I think any sustained climbing, 5.6 or otherwise, is just not going to happen for me easily. So Pingora is probably out. I need a spot where I can take a nap in the middle of the route if necessary. There was a shot I saw of Fred Becky snoozing mid route at the age of 92. He finished the multipich climb a bit later, but at his own pace. So I'm thinking there is some hope for me grin. If any other routes come to mind, please feel free to list them. Thanks again'

Chris

Edited by skcreidc (03/04/13 12:50 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling of course!

#175547 - 03/04/13 02:30 PM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: skcreidc]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
And for those that want a panorama view from Jackass Pass from late July 2011:

Edited by ndsol (03/04/13 02:31 PM)

#175667 - 03/07/13 09:48 PM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: skcreidc]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Wolfs Head is harder in many ways. There is more exposure. It is a very long climb - we did the original route which adds four pitches at the bottom before you even get on the ridge. Because you weave back and forth there is a lot of rope drag so most of our pitches were short. I think we did 22 pitches total. It was 14 hours total, from base camp. We simulclimbed a lot. The route finding is very tricky. I had the old Bonney's guide description which was by far better than the one in the new Kelsy guidebook. I can e-mail a copy to you. The climb is also more committing - there are few easy bail outs. Also, you have to deal with Wind River weather. We were there a week (climbed several routes on Pingora, and some class 2-3 climbs - Bollinger, Lizard Head. The weather did not become good enough to climb Wolfs Head until the very last day. We did get rained on a bit, but not bad. A little bit of lightning but none close. I do not think it is a matter of being old but one of mental readiness for a long, very exposed climb - very alpine. I had two (medium and large) cams that I would put in a crack and "walk" them along. There is a lot of exposed traversing. Here are a few photos.

From top of Pingora

The easy two pitches to get to the top of the ridge

Towers on top

Summit photo (yes that is RJ Secor)

#175756 - 03/14/13 09:58 AM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

Thanks for the info WD. And I would like a copy of the Bonney description; I'll pm you about it. There also seems to be a wealth of information of Mountain Project about the route, including a "map view topo" and a detailed description excluding Tiger Tower (Wolf's Head Description ). I figure you need a week minimum to get your shot at it (my only time in the Winds, it rained on us every day except the last and there were quite a few days where the storms/wind started up by 9am. If I prepare, I'll be fine. I just need to keep putting in the time on a regular basis.

Thanks again,

Chris

#176755 - 04/25/13 11:34 AM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

Yea, yea, I know. I'm slow on the uptake at times. WD, when did you do the Wolf's head with Secor? After his nasty glissade accident I assume. He looks pretty good there. Good for him!

I guess as an update... Two days top roping at Joshua Tree and sore as hell in my shoulders and forearms. Legs are good and I really enjoyed the face/slab climbs (mainly because I can use my legs to rest on them and be lazy). I had forgotten, but squeeze chimneys are not fun for me; got to work on those.

Edited by skcreidc (04/25/13 11:40 AM)

#176763 - 04/26/13 12:47 AM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: skcreidc]
wandering_daisy Offline

The climb was shortly before RJ's accident. Typical of RJ, he used old equipment and ratty old approach shoes so he had some troubles on the crux move of the climb. I have a pair of technical climbing shoes that are over sized(you know how real technical shoes are so tight they kill you feet)and I wear a wool sock so that they fit snug but not painful. These are my "alpine" climbing shoes. I carried tennis shoes for the walking up to the climb and the descent.

#177155 - 05/18/13 08:36 PM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Wow, those photos make me want to grab onto something and hold tight.... eek

"You want to go where?"

#179054 - 08/09/13 03:48 PM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: jdeutsch]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
Can this be free climbed?

#179252 - 08/17/13 10:39 PM Re: WD, I need a favor [Re: anicinabe]
wandering_daisy Offline

"Free climb" refers to NOT using the protection to actually pull up on (aid climbing). The route is 5.6 or 5.7 - pretty easy as far as "free climbs" go. In fact most of the climb is only about 5.0 or less - but it is so intermixed with the harder climbing that most people just keep roped up. If you mean "free solo" - just scrambling up with no gear- yes that has been done. In climbing rating, the exposure (air under you - the gulp factor) makes no difference - it is the technical difficulty of the hardest move on the climb. Does not matter if that move is 2 feet off the ground or 1,000 feet. The climb is one of the "50 classic north American climbs".

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum