Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175433 - 02/28/13 08:09 PM newbie in need of sleep system advice
NCnate Offline

Hi, I am fairly new to serious backpacking. I don't consider myself ultralite, but want to become at least lightweight. Right now I have a 50L pack (Osprey Atmos, older model). I love the pack fit and it is pretty light, but I currently have an older synthetic 20* bag and it doesn't pack very small (i.e., with the compression sack it can hardly get in my pack. Any recommendations for a 3 season bag on a budget? Packing size is more important than ounces. Right now I am packing the old bag without compression and it takes up way too much space.
I'll be hiking solo and for 2-3 days max.
I suppose the other option is to just get a larger pack, but I feel like that shouldn't be necessary with such short hikes.

#175434 - 02/28/13 11:21 PM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: NCnate]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We still use our old REI sub-kilo bags and love them. They pack up to the size of a large loaf of bread, weight about 2 pounds, and are rated to 20 degrees or so.

WE got them years ago on a close out for under $200. You can get something similar for under $120 if you go for sythentic...although they will weigh about a pound more

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#175435 - 02/28/13 11:50 PM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: NCnate]
lori Offline

I think we automatically assume that bag size increases or decreases with duration of the trip - that isn't necessarily so. The volume of your pack should match the gear, not the duration of the trip. Gear, if you get it dialed in and it's adequate to 3 season conditions where you're going most of the time, doesn't change. What changes is food - if you need more or less food, or if you need a bear canister to store it in.

Although, if you are changing up and playing sherpa for a girlfriend or kids, that too can be a game changer.

For me, quilts fill the bill without filling the pack, and my go-to pack for trips up to a week is a 40 liter - bumps up to a 50 liter if i need a larger bear can. One of my quilts is good below freezing, with the right sleeping pad. That's true of any bag as well since insulation on the bottom of a bag compresses.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175436 - 02/28/13 11:52 PM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: NCnate]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I like my Kelty Light Year Down 20º bag. Its comfort rating is 32º I think, and it keeps me plenty warm at that temp. I use a down jacket over it down to 20º and that keeps me warm.

I paid about $130, but I've heard of them going for less now.

"You want to go where?"

#175439 - 03/01/13 07:54 AM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: NCnate]
LoneStranger Offline

Loc: Maine
Since size is of primary concern I'd definitely look into a quilt. Depending on how cold your shoulder seasons are and how you sleep you can find some good deals on 30-40 degree down quilts that might be exactly what you need. These compress really well and don't have the wasted materials of a bag.

I have a Kestrel which is probably similar to your Atmos in terms of bag compartment space. I am able to get my quilt, a pad cover and the body of an old NF Tephra 22 I use to keep the bugs off at night into that area.

Oh and don't let your backpacking become too serious. It is supposed to be fun!!

#175443 - 03/01/13 09:04 AM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: NCnate]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
If the bag is warm enough, I'd try something else. So not use the compression bag. Put the sleeping bag in a large plastic bag and leave the top open so you can squeeze the air out as you pack things on top of it. Make sure the top is folded over so water cannot get in. It should give you some extra room.

#175444 - 03/01/13 09:24 AM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: NCnate]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By NCnate
Packing size is more important than ounces.
Those go hand in hand actually because no synthetic will pack as small as a down bag, which would also be lighter. In the past few years, I've seen some entry level down bags (eg, Kelty Light Year) as low as $80. I have a REI Sub Kilo and saw those on clearance for about $130 within the past year. The other option is buying used. Backpackinglight.com has a very active gear swap forum.

I'd also recommend a quilt (I've used my bag as such 99% of the time), but those are much harder to find. Golite's will be the easiest and cheapest to find unless you go with a used one. Synthetic may also be an option again if using a quilt. If you're handy at sewing, you can make your own for maybe $70.

#175445 - 03/01/13 09:30 AM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: topshot]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By topshot

I'd also recommend a quilt (I've used my bag as such 99% of the time), but those are much harder to find.

Hard to find? Aw, bull.

jacksrbetter.com
hammockgear.com
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/topquilt.php
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

That's just for starters.

Google Ray Way quilts, or go to thru-hiker.com, for quilt kits in synthetic or down.

A good quilt must be paired with a good pad. Also a good hat. Quilt sleeping was something I adapted to very quickly, but others have told me they couldn't get it tucked in. If you are a big guy, look at Jacks R Better first - they have larger versions of all their quilts.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175449 - 03/01/13 10:30 AM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: lori]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By topshot

I'd also recommend a quilt (I've used my bag as such 99% of the time), but those are much harder to find.

Hard to find? Aw, bull.

Hard to find as in you won't find them in any stores aside from the few Golite locations. Plus those options are more expensive. And I did recommend the MYOG path.

#175454 - 03/01/13 12:36 PM Re: newbie in need of sleep system advice [Re: topshot]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 32 degree bag packs down really small! Of course if you need a full zipper, do not go this route. I have the same bag in 15 degree and it's my winter bag for this area. I need another bag (and I'm looking at a quilt) for the rest of the seasons. By the way, I'm assuming by your name you backpack in North Carolina? I'm near the NC boarder in Tennessee.

Edit: To go back to what Lori said, Enlighten added straps to his quilts where you can tuck the quilt around yourself and the pad. Really, really cool!

Edited by ETSU Pride (03/01/13 12:38 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum