Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175036 - 02/13/13 03:30 PM What's on YOUR radar?
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
For 6 weeks I've had to walk on eggshells in terms of doing anything physical. I just could not get over being sick for some reason, and it made me hurt in places it hasn't in a long time. Stunk. And before that, it was this bone spur on my right heal giving me grief. But now I'm putting on some mileage again on a consistent basis while carrying 15 pounds and am constantly improving on how fast I can go (as well as how good I feel). But the whole experience has made me a little more cautious about getting out at full throttle again.

So, (partly due to a lack of a partner) San Pedro Martir is out, but San Grogonio, San Jacinto, and Santa Rosa are in for short trips through April. Longer trips are going to be tough to do this year, but we (the family) agreed that I would do my Sierra High Route thing this summer if possible. But really, everything depends upon how the shorter winter/spring trips pan out. So here's to being optimistic! wink

What's on your plate?

Chris

#175037 - 02/13/13 03:55 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
So far, I have a lot of local 2-3 day trips planned. I have a four day loop planned in the Grand Canyon with permit in hand. I also plan to hike the JMT southbound in late August. I would like to spend a few days in the Chisos Mountains in Texas this fall and some time in the Ruby Mts. in Nevada in July. I'll have to see about the last two. I am still recovering some fitness after having what turned out to be fairly major surgery: I feel pretty strong but could still improve a bit.

Edited by Pika (02/13/13 03:58 PM)

#175038 - 02/13/13 04:01 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Got invited to visit Maroon Bells in CO in August. I guess I can visit my bro and his wife at their place now.
New gear, ordered a new Zpacks pack and shelter, Borah bivy at 4.5 oz. to go with the netting free shelter, total weight of the two at 12 oz. half my TT Squall weight. smile
Duane

#175041 - 02/13/13 05:24 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
I used to hike Southern CA a lot, mostly because I was stationed there in the military, and the mountains were close by. You could spend a long time in those hills and never cover the same trail twice.

I know what it's like to be hurting, and trying to get back in shape, in a hurry.

Good Luck!

J. laugh

#175042 - 02/13/13 05:24 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am taking scouts backpacking for a week in July in the Uintas. To prepare, we are planning a one-nighter in May, and a two-nighter in June. They will both be closer to home, one is in the mountain range to the east of us, and the other to the west.

I am also planning to take the whole family backpacking at the end of July in Washington. Details are still being worked out.

#175044 - 02/13/13 06:37 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
LoneStranger Offline

Loc: Maine
I'll wait to figure out the shorter trips later, but two 4 night loops in Baxter are in the planning stages...

Tried to make my June reservation this week when the window opened for my dates but it seems that some loons have reserved the location that was to be the focal point of the trip. Not lunatics mind you heh, the birds have a nesting site there and the rangers won't open the site to reservations until they hatch out. After spending all Winter planning this trip I'm now working up a fast replacement because I have family coming in from out of state for this one and need to reserve now so they can book their flights. Thinking of doing some of the far northern parts of the park I haven't been to yet, probably Wadleigh/Freezeout loop with nights on both Second and Webster Lakes. Definitely a trip to bring the fishing gear for.

July will be a redo of last years Chimney/Davis/Russell 4 night loop with a smaller pack. I may get tired of this loop some day, but for now I think it will be an annual event with just my partners changing. At my age I don't think I should do this one alone so I hope I don't run out of suckers willing partners any time soon.

Hope you keep feeling better and can get out there!!

#175047 - 02/13/13 07:28 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: LoneStranger]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Two words!

FISH ON!

#175048 - 02/13/13 07:54 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: Samoset]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
For the Smokies, I have been to 6 of the top 10 peaks. So, I'm looking at trips to explore the remaining 4 before the end of the year.

I also want to visit: Roan Highlands, Nantahala Headwaters Loop, Cold Mountain, and Panthertown Valley. The last three places are in Western North Carolina while Roan Highland is near Johnson City on Tennessee and North Carolina state line. I hope I can do all of these trips before 2014. cool

#175049 - 02/13/13 08:11 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
lori Offline

I have two 4-5 day expeditions - Silliman pass, Sugarloaf, Deadman Canyon, Big Bird Lake, Tablelands, Moose Lake, Pear Lake loop. And a four day to Williamson Lakes, possibly up to the peak.

I have a four day on the Skyline to Sea trail in the works, and a two and a half day in Henry Coe.

I have a couple of weekend outings in the works for backpacking classes.

In late September I will likely do the Sphinx Lakes trip I cancelled last fall. I may visit the Monarch Divide.

There's a lot of unclaimed weekends that will be day hikes, two day outings and camping trips with kayaks.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175050 - 02/13/13 09:01 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
My Radar is scanning a pretty short loop this year, but I've already got some good hikes in and a few very nice nights out.

I'm doing another trip to Hercules Glades with some friends in the next few days. Probably only 2 nights on this on. We'll be going where I've gone before many times, but it's always nice to get out and this trip my longtime good neighbor and hiking partner, Randy, and I will be taking our new neighbor, Brad, on his first backpacking trip, so it will be a lot of fun. We've been doing a lot of day hikes on the land around our homes and Brad's been gathering gear and he ordered his backpack this week.

I'm sure the three us will take a few more short trips like that before Spring, We'll probably head down to the Leatherwood Wilderness for a waterfalls tour too. And we've got some float trips on the Buffalo River planned for Spring.

I still have the NE corner of Hercules Glades to bushwhack. I've just scratched a bit of the trail in that part of the park and there are two big hollows I want to bushwhack there, so I'll probably spend three nights solo doing that pretty soon too.

"You want to go where?"

#175051 - 02/13/13 09:44 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Lori, I was with Carol (RangerTarol) and a few other guys in the Tablelands about 8 years ago and Pear Lake area. The Tablelands weren't much. We did not make Big Bird, we felt Carol wasn't up for that lake. Have a good time.
Duane

#175052 - 02/13/13 09:53 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: hikerduane]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Lori, I was with Carol (RangerTarol) and a few other guys in the Tablelands about 8 years ago and Pear Lake area. The Tablelands weren't much. We did not make Big Bird, we felt Carol wasn't up for that lake. Have a good time.
Duane

We go to Moose Lake every year. The fishing is something else, and the sunsets are magical.

I''m expecting the journey down Deadman to be excellent as well. I already know the Silliman pass area is gorgeous. Moose and Big Bird will probably be high points as well.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175058 - 02/14/13 05:23 AM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I've been mulling the idea of section hiking the Florida Trail (1100 miles) over the next 3 to 4 years. I even spruced up my old bicycle to self-shuttle. I logged my first section already (shuttled with a friend). One small thing in my favor is I live close enough to make day trips out of at least a third of it. After that I'll just have to see how it goes.

Plus still working on the gear making.

#175059 - 02/14/13 07:22 AM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: PerryMK]
mike Offline

Loc: Ohio
In March, I am planning a solo trip to the Shawnee State Forest (Southern Ohio) 2 nights/3 days.

In April, I am planning a solo trip to the smokies (3 nights/4 days) to try and bag a few more miles.... I have about 200 miles left of trails I have yet to hike in the park.

May is for racing.

In early June I am going to take my boys (6 & 9) on a backpacking trip over a weekend. I'm probably going to take them down to the Zaleski Backpack Trail in southern Ohio.

In september or october I will be taking a yearly trip with a couple of buddies of mine down to the smokies again for a 4 night/5 day trip.

#175129 - 02/16/13 11:22 AM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
Grt_Ape Offline

Loc: Gateway to Yosemite
Some friends from work and our 4WD club are planning a 3-4 day trip from TM to Glen Aulin once Tioga opens. Waterwheel falls is on my bucket list.

Going to take the family on a dayhike up to Lake Elizabeth from TM in late July.

Probably won't get to see Lyell Canyon or Vogelsang this summer. Will be spending a week at Camp John Mensinger with Troop 88 instead.

#175131 - 02/16/13 12:41 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: Grt_Ape]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Right now my goal is to make my dog Hysson as happy as possible for his remaining time and to continue working to get myself into shape. We'll be leaving for the beach in a couple of hours.

I have no definite plans for the summer's backpacking. That's mostly because every time I make elaborate plans, they invariably fall through. In other words, everything will be last minute! The hope is for at least several trips with the grandkids. Another goal is to find a lake that actually has trout in it!

The big plan for this summer (non-backpacking) is to participate in the re-enactment of the 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg. Actually, there will be two re-enactments, one before July 4 and one after, thanks to a split between two main organizations. The 6th Ohio (to whose cavalry my eldest son belongs) will be in the first (Blue Gray Alliance) re-enactment, June 27-30. Per my son, they will be the stars of the show. I'll be wearing a Civil War reproduction work dress and sunbonnet and at least ostensibly be helping with cooking and laundry. My son would like to be in the second re-enactment, too, at least the first day (which features a re-enactment of Buford's cavalry activities) but doubts that he can get that much time off work.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/16/13 12:47 PM)

#175132 - 02/16/13 12:49 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"Right now my goal is to make my dog Hysson as happy as possible for his remaining time ..."

I'm in the same situation with my 20-year-old cat. Hard to make plans given that he needs daily care, not something that's easy to pass of to others. If he passes and other factors align, hope to hike in northern Spain this year, otherwise will lead some backpacking trips, likely to include part of the Wonderland trail, other local (WA state) stuff TBD.

I NEED to do some decent miles every year now as my annual weight loss plan! :-)
Not sure how that will work out this year.

#175133 - 02/16/13 02:19 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: BrianLe]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
For the summer, I have two longer trips planned. One is hiking the NPT again; taking 8 days to do it. Second is a weeklong canoe trip with my father; not sure how many more we will have so I have to make these count. I also have a growing list of other smallish places to explore but these will happen throughout the year, not just in the summer.

#175324 - 02/25/13 02:00 AM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: DTape]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Going to get out next week for a little XC ski and snow camp with my 12 year old boys. Just a six mile ski in to a natural hotspring for a simple overnighter. Can't wait.

#175327 - 02/25/13 11:07 AM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: rionada]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Sound like fun. Please post a few pics if you can!

"You want to go where?"

#175334 - 02/25/13 05:03 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: billstephenson]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We're looking at two major hikes this summer, one from Sonora Pass to Hetch-hetchy via Jack Main Canyon ( if the HH road ever opens!) And another one from Marvin pass into Cloud and Deadman Canyon.

And here's a view of the Silliman Pass area...for those who are interested!

Amazing view

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#175338 - 02/25/13 08:17 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: balzaccom]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Interesting! If it keeps on not raining, this season might start and end pretty darn early, so good to have plans in the works.

Cheers,

#175341 - 02/25/13 09:04 PM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm still in an exploratory planning phase, since the main backpacking season here in Oregon doesn't really get into full swing until July. I've got my eye on the PCT from Diamond Peak down to Mount McLoughlin. I'm also looking at revisiting the Goat Rocks wilderness, which is a bit nearer to home.

The difficulty is that plans made today have a way of requiring a major overhaul as it becomes more apparent what sort of snowpack and meltoff we're going to get. That kind of information is impossible to gauge at the moment.

#175372 - 02/27/13 08:15 AM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: balzaccom]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Wow!! Most of you have some really great stuff going on (even if it isn't backpacking). OM, one of my relatives was a captain in one of the Ohio regiments (Civil War); I've always wanted to see a re-enactment.

Balzaccom, great picture of a beautiful area. Given the amount of snowfall we have had, it looks like it could have taken last week. wink

#175381 - 02/27/13 10:02 AM Re: What's on YOUR radar? [Re: skcreidc]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
My biking partner said he wants us go to Tsali on April 6th weekend. If you love mountain biking, this is the place to ride.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum